Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Commodorefirst (Wade) - Hardcore - 2018 ipad 6 at widest setting - October 31, finis, or as I say as a musician Fine.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Yesterday while traveling home, I ran into a problem where I could not back up, today while out and about on our land I did not have this problem. One advantage to the super small sensor in the iPad is the great depth of field.

A pic of our home, from 300+ yards away. Having never participated in an Octoberfest, what is nice is getting more knowledge about members, and their lives, hence my photo of my home, and I do love big skies.

I noted I never gave the specs of the base 6th gen iPad I have. It is a 8mp camera with f2.4 aperture lens, The iPad pros have 12 mp and f1.8 and a multi lens and a price tag double my iPad purchased last year to replace my broken iPad Air 2.

B2485F6C-9638-457B-B132-3169E54FED49.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A throwaway is located in the bucket that demonstrates the focus range:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/2019-octoberfest-bucket.318680/page-2#post-4046209

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I find the iPad easier to shoot with, compared to the iPhone (bigger screen and my fingers don't land on the lens) but I do feel like such a dork!
Yeah, that dof really does help showcase that great sky!

Haha, my cover was flapping in the wind this morning.

Fantastic composition!

Thanks Andy

Wonderful shot. Love the sky and the large porch!

Thanks Paul, if I have clouds and skies I am a happy landscaper.

The blue roof almost appears to be reflecting the sky, the clouds are fantastic and it looks like a wonderful day.

What's not to like?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
The blue roof almost appears to be reflecting the sky, the clouds are fantastic and it looks like a wonderful day.

What's not to like?
Many discussions about the roof color when building our home a few years ago, spouse won the discussion and she was correct. I won floor wood type discussion and I was correct, hey, that gives me an idea.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
David gave me the idea for this shot, a photo of our hickory wood floors in our home displayed on my 9 year old iPad, sitting on one of our wooden cutting boards. (Tigerwood) I had to stand on a chair over our kitchen island to get this image. I was planning to include our island top (granite for a texture variance), but it had to many hard light reflections.

Old iPad with ipad photo, taken with the iPad chosen for the challenge.

2E06581D-4993-4154-9831-A9A8F783EEA5.jpeg

David gave me the idea for this shot, a photo of our hickory wood floors in our home displayed on my 9 year old iPad, sitting on one of our wooden cutting boards. (Tigerwood) I had to stand on a chair over our kitchen island to get this image. I was planning to include our island top (granite for a texture variance), but it had to many hard light reflections.

Old iPad with ipad photo, taken with the iPad chosen for the challenge.

View attachment 1647347
How unique!! Great idea!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Found an image opportunity this morning. My spouse was harvesting our fall butternut squash and she placed them on the futon in our four season room to take an image for social media. She took her image standing over them. I popped and cracked my old knees and got on the ground and shot at squash level from about 2’ distance.

0582FD12-ECF9-45AA-807E-743DF4DF5B17.jpeg

Wade, after seeing mention of this thread and particularly the fact that you are using your iPad to shoot your images for this Octoberfest, I had to come take a look! Hey, that is pretty darned cool what you can get with an iPad! Inspired by you, I picked up my 12.9 and before taking any shots realized that I had a few images in the Camera Roll already, which was a surprise..... When I took a look I found images that apparently had been shot with this iPad's predecessor since I'd set this one up from the backup from the old one back when I got it last fall. The happiest surprise, though, was finding an image of my beloved 2015 15" MBP that I've just sold; after I came home from having handed it over to the new buyer and helping him get it set up it occurred to me that I hadn't taken any photos of her that last day and evening before packing her up to transport to her new home. Hooray, here in my iPad all this time was a not-too-bad shot of her after all! Promptly air-dropped it to my computer and now I've got it for posterity! :)

So then I decided to try taking a couple of shots -- messy living room, messy kitchen, nothing worth sharing. It's awkward to hold a 12.9" iPad in landscape mode, but doable! I'll have to experiment more now, also with the smaller, much easier-to-handle iPad mini 5, too.....

Thanks for the inspiration!

Latest threads

Top Bottom