Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Commodorefirst (Wade) - Hardcore - 2018 ipad 6 at widest setting - October 31, finis, or as I say as a musician Fine.

Grrrr. Went to Lake Okeechobee today. Guess what this idiot did, forgot my friggin ipad! Used my spouses older iPad Air two, but I know I cannot legally post those here, even though nearly the same camera.

Anyway, after back at my parents, I walked outside and took a snapshot and took my frustration out on an image and blasted it with post work to a weird BW high contrast abstract.

View attachment 1649086
Good backup plan! Looks great.

Real Name
Andy
I walked outside and took a snapshot and took my frustration out on an image and blasted it with post work to a weird BW high contrast abstract.
Take THAT, you silly Florida plant! I continue to marvel at what you can achieve with a good eye, a modest imaging device and proficient post processing skills. But mostly, with a good eye.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A final abstract titled “Contrasts”. A very light BW processing. Question, is it wall, concrete, plant, parking lot, or other surface? Had a hard light shadow that intrigued me. Found when out and about today. Added a frame thanks to Nick’s suggestion on another shot.

78F0A8C4-C02A-4CF8-88E7-E11BC704C859.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Up very early for this shot before sunrise inside my parents home. I liked the conversion.

View attachment 1648586
Strong, outstanding!
Hmmm, on a recent B&W kick, since I am enjoying learning the conversion process on the iPad.

Miami apartment skyline:

View attachment 1648679
For me, this is the best of all, because it is unusual also but not only. Nice how you learn and describe PP on a mobile device.
Being stubborn today, shooting Palm trees again, grrr. May be my nemesis down here. Trying better am light. I decided not as much a perspective shot, but more about the bark texture.

Color here, BW in the bucket.

View attachment 1648716
Amazing 3D trunk, combined with postcard saturation :)
Final tree image, this time a very large Pine tree, and my backside was covered in needles, seems that laying down gets the best perspective, go figure.

BW over in bucket.

View attachment 1648765
Lovely angle, nice tree series...
“1965 Kitsch”. Story in bucket area.

View attachment 1648839
:) @ bucket also!
More plants... ;)
Ok, up before sunrise, Goal, drive to beach and take a sunrise shot with an iPad. Most mornings have been poor regarding either clouds, rain etc, but today looked promising. My parents live about 15 min from the beach. Others located in bucket.

“AM Sunrise”

View attachment 1648890
Did you help those colors? Terrific nature!
Grrrr. Went to Lake Okeechobee today. Guess what this idiot did, forgot my friggin ipad! Used my spouses older iPad Air two, but I know I cannot legally post those here, even though nearly the same camera.

Anyway, after back at my parents, I walked outside and took a snapshot and took my frustration out on an image and blasted it with post work to a weird BW high contrast abstract.

View attachment 1649086
No clue what it is, but I like its aggressiveness! Take that!
A final abstract titled “Contrasts”. A very light BW processing. Question, is it wall, concrete, plant, parking lot, or other surface? Had a hard light shadow that intrigued me. Found when out and about today. Added a frame thanks to Nick’s suggestion on another shot.

View attachment 1649118
Is it a tree? Yet another strong, stark abstract!!

View attachment 1649118
Nice abstract shot!

Hard to tell what it is. Could be a corner and the horizontal band is a joint between layers of some fabricated blocks, or some flat surface that is painted on the right? Doesn't seem like stone or block, due to the lines, but does seem like some man made material vs wood or plant. Hoping you show a picture with more context.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Nice abstract shot!

Hard to tell what it is. Could be a corner and the horizontal band is a joint between layers of some fabricated blocks, or some flat surface that is painted on the right? Doesn't seem like stone or block, due to the lines, but does seem like some man made material vs wood or plant. Hoping you show a picture with more context.
Day 30: Fabulous range of tones. A stone column, perhaps?
Answer over in the bucket area.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Well folks, last day, and I had as a quest for the time down here to take a macro photo of the little fellar or lady? who has been on my parents porch day and night. He/she was oh so skittish. I could never get within several feet of it with the iPad. Even today, after a careful stalk and moving at a glacier pace, I could only get about a foot and a half from Lizzy. I actually had a catch light in lizzy’s eye for a brief moment but then the head turned before I could push that darn button on the screen.

Original over in bucket plus another am light burst shot.

I have learned a lot shooting the iPad this month, found what it does well, and what it does not do well, found the limitations of the small sensor (like cropping huge below!) and enjoyed learning post processing work with the built in iPad app and also Snapseed.

I Also enjoyed all of the wonderful images from my fellow Octoberfest members, and I also appreciated Chris’s education about the various films he used for his shoot and how it refreshed my mind for the wonders of film and dark rooms, (that I used to use and partake)

From Alien bots, to BW fixed prime work, night skies, local community images, scapes and fall colors, and portraits, I have been honored to view all of your images.

Sorry my last one was not up to my usual wildlife standards, but cropping the iPad sensor about 80% is not kind to image quality. Maybe next year I might use my 500vr only? Handheld.... hmmmm.....

Thanks again everyone. Do check the bucket for the original of Lizzy. And other great images from others.

17E6196B-1E7B-4C89-AD0A-0CE38F690B53.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Well folks, last day, and I had as a quest for the time down here to take a macro photo of the little fellar or lady? who has been on my parents porch day and night. He/she was oh so skittish. I could never get within several feet of it with the iPad. Even today, after a careful stalk and moving at a glacier pace, I could only get about a foot and a half from Lizzy. I actually had a catch light in lizzy’s eye for a brief moment but then the head turned before I could push that darn button on the screen.

Original over in bucket plus another am light burst shot.

I have learned a lot shooting the iPad this month, found what it does well, and what it does not do well, found the limitations of the small sensor (like cropping huge below!) and enjoyed learning post processing work with the built in iPad app and also Snapseed.

I Also enjoyed all of the wonderful images from my fellow Octoberfest members, and I also appreciated Chris’s education about the various films he used for his shoot and how it refreshed my mind for the wonders of film and dark rooms, (that I used to use and partake)

From Alien bots, to BW fixed prime work, night skies, local community images, scapes and fall colors, and portraits, I have been honored to view all of your images.

Sorry my last one was not up to my usual wildlife standards, but cropping the iPad sensor about 80% is not kind to image quality. Maybe next year I might use my 500vr only? Handheld.... hmmmm.....

Thanks again everyone. Do check the bucket for the original of Lizzy. And other great images from others.

View attachment 1649162
Great patience on the shot. I've enjoyed seeing what can be done with an iPad (as I never thought about seriously using it for shooting).

Real Name
Chris
Love the liz Wade! Great ending with a wildlife set - the pics in the bucket complete the set well, and what a cozy habitat she has.

It's been wonderful watching your work with the 'pad, I'm very impressed that you are able to pull such wonderful images from something that just insn't usually thought of as a camera. Thanks for playing this month, and I'll see you in the threads!

Thanks for joining in Wade and for showing us such a fantastic range of images. Of all the threads, yours was perhaps the most eye-opening from a technical point of view and you have done a wonderful job of showcasing just what an iPad (in the most capable hands) can do.
It was good to get to know you - I hope that we are able to shoot again soon.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hey Wade,
I've just gone through your Octoberfest.
You've shown very interesting pictures this year.

Thank you for joining
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom