Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Commodorefirst (Wade) - Hardcore - 2018 ipad 6 at widest setting - October 31, finis, or as I say as a musician Fine.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Oh, a lot of work going on, fencing a whole orchard! Hope it pays back in fruit!

How's the iPad's weather sealing? Any problems to be expected when shooting in the rain?
We usually harvest several bushels of apples, peaches, nectarines, etc. but the trees could produce a lot more if left alone.

Regarding iPad sealing, none, would not trust it without a cover and protector, which I have on my unit, but wasn’t a hard rain just drizzle fortunately. Unlike my dslr bodies.

How's your back, pardner?

The scary part is that unloading all of your fencing requirements is only the start of the hard work. Good luck with getting the fencing done and protecting your trees.
Nice shot!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Traveling to Paducah KY, early am, first freeze and frost of the year, stopped to take a few pics with mist, and interesting locations, my favorite this am was the Thebes Illinois railroad bridge over the River. To muddy to walk any closer.

I have plans already for another location shot on the return tomorrow. Other shots in bucket area.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
How's your back, pardner?

The scary part is that unloading all of your fencing requirements is only the start of the hard work. Good luck with getting the fencing done and protecting your trees.
Nice shot!
I am hiring equipment and youngsters to dig! I understand the term retired!

Traveling to Paducah KY, early am, first freeze and frost of the year, stopped to take a few pics with mist, and interesting locations, my favorite this am was the Thebes Illinois railroad bridge over the River. To muddy to walk any closer.

I have plans already for another location shot on the return tomorrow. Other shots in bucket area.

View attachment 1647984
Nice shot of the bridge. To bad you couldn't get closer.

A beautiful day for your bridge shot, Wade. A real pity that you weren't able to sneak in closer, I think that the image would have benefited from a change in framing to eliminate some of the foreground shadow.
Enjoy your travels and please keep the pictures coming!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
A beautiful day for your bridge shot, Wade. A real pity that you weren't able to sneak in closer, I think that the image would have benefited from a change in framing to eliminate some of the foreground shadow.
Enjoy your travels and please keep the pictures coming!
I know, I almost posted my pond morning mist shot, but was tired of farm shots. I really wanted to both walk or drive closer, but the trail and road was solid mud, and that type of cleanup was not on the agenda. I have plans today.... on our return trip back home, on one of my favorite subjects planned.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Ok, return trip from Paducah KY, but I took some time for some crazy antics on the old Ohio River bridge at Cairo Illinois.

I like bridge shots and have shot many many bridges through the years and this has been on my bucket list. I drove back and forth from
KY and Illinois numerous times on this bridge today planning my attack. I wanted a shot from the middle of the bridge, and as you note, with this old bridge there ain’t anywhere to stand. Timing was everything, and since this was a challenge and hardcore, I did not have my spouse assist either, beyond being lookout for traffic coming from behind me. After several attempts at stopping, and hopping out of the car and snapping a few shots with the iPad, and scurrying back inside and driving before traffic either caught up from behind or from the other direction, the 4th time stopping garnered success. Conversion to BW on the iPad, sweet success, except in my hyper activity mode I did not center my body on the center line, to worried about getting run over.

Built in 1936 and widened! Back in the 1970s! Each railing was moved outward by a few inches on each side. Still a life line to Southern Illinois and Western KY without driving an additional 70 miles. Located right at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

1BC83383-C64B-4186-A8CA-FF98024C3E5D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Other images located in bucket area.

Last edited:
Ok, return trip from Paducah KY, but I took some time for some crazy antics on the old Ohio River bridge at Cairo Illinois.

I like bridge shots and have shot many many bridges through the years and this has been on my bucket list. I drove back and forth from
KY and Illinois numerous times on this bridge today planning my attack. I wanted a shot from the middle of the bridge, and as you note, with this old bridge there ain’t anywhere to stand. Timing was everything, and since this was a challenge and hardcore, I did not have my spouse assist either, beyond being lookout for traffic coming from behind me. After several attempts at stopping, and hopping out of the car and snapping a few shots with the iPad, and scurrying back inside and driving before traffic either caught up from behind or from the other direction, the 4th time stopping garnered success. Conversion to BW on the iPad, sweet success, except in my hyper activity mode I did not center my body on the center line, to worried about getting run over.

Built in 1936 and widened! Back in the 1970s! Each railing was moved outward by a few inches on each side. Still a life line to Southern Illinois and Western KY without driving an additional 70 miles. Located right at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

View attachment 1648045

Great shot, and persistence in taking it! Very interesting background story too!

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 1648045

Great effort, well worth. I liked all in the Bucket, and this one shows the final outcome, worth every try before. Also, for me, BW is THE way to go here.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Great effort, well worth. I liked all in the Bucket, and this one shows the final outcome, worth every try before. Also, for me, BW is THE way to go here.
Agreed BW rules on this cloudless day. I have been rather impressed with the basic Apple iPad editing software with their BW conversion algorithms. Their other editing tools leave a lot to be desired, but the BW is not to bad. I will revisit sometime with the usual NX, PS or DXO tools, but these conversions work for now.

Great shot, and persistence in taking it! Very interesting background story too!
Thanks, appreciate it, and I am happy with the end results.

Real Name
Chris
I love the clock Wade, and the fence is enigmatic. With the first bridge almost I can almost hear the train whistle, but the second bridge is a wowser! Your efforts payed off in spades here! Love it!

More great work on the bridge Wade. The b/w allows your viewer to simply look at the graphics on display or to choose to enjoy the whole as an image of the bridge.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Lovely old bridge and so well converted to B&W. The deepest blacks add so much here.
Thanks Nick

I love the clock Wade, and the fence is enigmatic. With the first bridge almost I can almost hear the train whistle, but the second bridge is a wowser! Your efforts payed off in spades here! Love it!
Thanks Chris, I do love train trestles too.

More great work on the bridge Wade. The b/w allows your viewer to simply look at the graphics on display or to choose to enjoy the whole as an image of the bridge.
Thanks David.

Agreed BW rules on this cloudless day. I have been rather impressed with the basic Apple iPad editing software with their BW conversion algorithms. Their other editing tools leave a lot to be desired, but the BW is not to bad. I will revisit sometime with the usual NX, PS or DXO tools, but these conversions work for now.

Thanks, appreciate it, and I am happy with the end results.
By the way, does the iPad allow to shoot RAW format? My phone does, when using extra apps. Might turn useful when converting later...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom