Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Commodorefirst (Wade) - Hardcore - 2018 ipad 6 at widest setting - October 31, finis, or as I say as a musician Fine.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Was outdoors all day planting bulbs and doing yard/farm work. Grabbed this shot I titled “Border”. Just finished converting to B&W, which
I liked better than original color shot.

921421D2-DA4D-4D99-A731-0FA3D91FFBAC.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Back in Cape Girardeau MO today, flu shot, and Tetanus booster, so I drove to the main Mississippi River bridge, grey flat skies, yuck, I have a lot of images of this bridge including a commercial shot taken many years ago for hire by the bridge construction company. They wanted pics of old and new before they demolished the old bridge, here is the commercial shot: https://wadedowdy.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p609076265-4.jpg. Taken in 2004 with D70 and 24mm prime if I recall. Fun fact, that was my last commercial construction photo gig. Very good $$$$. Oh well, Time flies.

And my iPad shot today, with the SEMO University River campus fine arts building in the view. Opted for color since the grass was still pretty green.

EDA631C5-EC55-4FD1-A6AE-9D0F4AA1F54E.jpeg

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Great play with lines and textures. Well composed too!

Thanks, did a little iPad tilting to get the diagonals correct.

The contrast between order and disorder hits it on the nailhead Wade. This picture is a delight to look at, and enlightening as well.

Thanks, I love textures and contrasts, especially with BW images Chris.

Many contrasts, in fact, as stated:
  • brightness, black/white
  • texture
  • order/disorder
  • light and shadow / directional lighting

Yes, something simple outside the home may end up being a favorite.

Very nice set of three images from your trip across the Ohio and back home. I continue to be amazed by what you're achieving with the iPad!

One advantage, less gear to carry around, and much easier to upload to the cafe.

Real Name
Paul
Back in Cape Girardeau MO today, flu shot, and Tetanus booster, so I drove to the main Mississippi River bridge, grey flat skies, yuck, I have a lot of images of this bridge including a commercial shot taken many years ago for hire by the bridge construction company. They wanted pics of old and new before they demolished the old bridge, here is the commercial shot: https://wadedowdy.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p609076265-4.jpg. Taken in 2004 with D70 and 24mm prime if I recall. Fun fact, that was my last commercial construction photo gig. Very good $$$$. Oh well, Time flies.

And my iPad shot today, with the SEMO University River campus fine arts building in the view. Opted for color since the grass was still pretty green.

View attachment 1648181
Nice shot of both the building and bridge.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
It's quite different today! Your commercial image makes it look like an undeveloped location. Now with the building and the lawn, it looks quite civilized. Cool!
Yes, the area was completely revamped and the new building built about 50 yards behind my shot 15 years ago. Current location and rail tracks are gone with new campus building.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
"Blue Texture in the AM"

image.jpeg

Ok, return trip from Paducah KY, but I took some time for some crazy antics on the old Ohio River bridge at Cairo Illinois.

I like bridge shots and have shot many many bridges through the years and this has been on my bucket list. I drove back and forth from
KY and Illinois numerous times on this bridge today planning my attack. I wanted a shot from the middle of the bridge, and as you note, with this old bridge there ain’t anywhere to stand. Timing was everything, and since this was a challenge and hardcore, I did not have my spouse assist either, beyond being lookout for traffic coming from behind me. After several attempts at stopping, and hopping out of the car and snapping a few shots with the iPad, and scurrying back inside and driving before traffic either caught up from behind or from the other direction, the 4th time stopping garnered success. Conversion to BW on the iPad, sweet success, except in my hyper activity mode I did not center my body on the center line, to worried about getting run over.

Built in 1936 and widened! Back in the 1970s! Each railing was moved outward by a few inches on each side. Still a life line to Southern Illinois and Western KY without driving an additional 70 miles. Located right at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

Other images located in bucket area.
I love bridges as well, Wade. And when I first looked at your shot, I thought to myself "boy, that took some courage". But you ended up with a beautiful shot. It is not off-center enough to disturb anyone, IMO.

Nice piece of modernism, Wade. And I loved seeing the older B&W. Thanks.

I lived in Louisville for four years, and never got down to the Paducah area. But I did use the bridges to Indiana and Cincinnati quite frequently. Only time I ever really lived "on the border," so to speak. A little different, going to a different state to your doctor.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade

Latest threads

Top Bottom