Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Commodorefirst (Wade) - Hardcore - 2018 ipad 6 at widest setting - October 31, finis, or as I say as a musician Fine.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I second that, thought the same. That is taken from the same spot, approximately?
No, commercial shot taken behind the building on the left. I was in front of the building for this shot 15 years later.

Wow!

The paving and gravel shot is something which I have attempted many times and I would agree wholeheartedly that converting to b/w allows the viewer to simply enjoy the texture and contrast of the picture.
Nice landscape - the bridge and buildings fit the frame well.
Love the blue abstract!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Ok,

A note about my itinerary from day 17-21, today (17) traveling from SE MO to St. Louis, and back all in one day, 18-21 traveling to central KY to see a musical production my daughter is choreographing at her University where she teaches, then Sat-Sun traveling to the Palm Beach Florida area to visit my parents for a few weeks. With numerous hours on the road (6 today) 6-10 hours each of the next tree days after that, hotels, etc etc, I will be posting images only and rarely visiting and commenting until settled in Florida.

Please accept in advance my apologies for not commenting on your threads the next four days. I will do all I can to take a different photo each day and post it here.

Today: Up before sunrise and while traveling, the sun arose and the foothills of the Ozarks made for a gorgeous drive. Image from a few hours ago. (I am at a gas station typing and posting this). Thankful the iPad camera is on the left side of iPad in horizontal scape mode, only had part of the iPad out of the truck to take the image, just checked image now, (not while driving) yep, keeper, sorta... :) I kept the front of the old Dodge in for perspective. Posted. Yea.

CDA2F1DC-4FA1-4299-828F-75D305944F24.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
Well, it looks like you are speeding down the highway, holding your iPad out the window with one hand, stretching your pinky down to push the button! Great illusion, or wanton disregard for physics? :woot:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Well, it looks like you are speeding down the highway, holding your iPad out the window with one hand, stretching your pinky down to push the button! Great illusion, or wanton disregard for physics? :woot:

Actually had right hand on wheel, left holding iPad, and right thumb stretched over and pressed the magic go button on on right side, Pianists can do lots of neat things with one hand, ;) can stretch a long ways... ;)
iPad only out in wind about an inch.

I just did not check images until at the gas station, anyway, first stop completed in STL. Onward.

Very difficult to shoot inside as a driver, with any camera. To do it with the iPad especially an accomplishment. It looks like a nice day for your to-fro trip. Say hello to St. Louie from all your friends in Octoberfest.

Your trip to Central Kentucky to UK? Or to another college?

Real Name
Chris
Actually had right hand on wheel, left holding iPad, and right thumb stretched over and pressed the magic go button on on right side, Pianists can do lots of neat things with one hand, ;) can stretch a long ways... ;)
iPad only out in wind about an inch.

I just did not check images until at the gas station, anyway, first stop completed in STL. Onward.

Well, it turned out great. I came back to look again and I like it even more the second time!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
6 hours on the road, checked into hotel, early dinner, changing clothes, hey, wonder how this iPad does even closer? Between 7-8”. Pocket/wrist dump, HDS flashlight with pocket sheath, pocket knife and watch. Off to an evening in Campbellsville KY without iPad. Up at the crack of dawn to head South.

63FB619C-D788-4820-9F18-8D7D2DABB937.jpeg

6 hours on the road, checked into hotel, early dinner, changing clothes, hey, wonder how this iPad does even closer? Between 7-8”. Pocket/wrist dump, HDS flashlight with pocket sheath, pocket knife and watch. Off to an evening in Campbellsville KY without iPad. Up at the crack of dawn to head South.

View attachment 1648442
Oh, we have not had a 'what's in my bag' shot, haven't we? Nice stuff, fitting together well!

Ok,

A note about my itinerary from day 17-21, today (17) traveling from SE MO to St. Louis, and back all in one day, 18-21 traveling to central KY to see a musical production my daughter is choreographing at her University where she teaches, then Sat-Sun traveling to the Palm Beach Florida area to visit my parents for a few weeks. With numerous hours on the road (6 today) 6-10 hours each of the next three days after that, hotels, etc etc, I will be posting images only and rarely visiting and commenting until settled in Florida.

Please accept in advance my apologies for not commenting on your threads the next four days. I will do all I can to take a different photo each day and post it here.

Today: Up before sunrise and while traveling, the sun arose and the foothills of the Ozarks made for a gorgeous drive. Image from a few hours ago. (I am at a gas station typing and posting this). Thankful the iPad camera is on the left side of iPad in horizontal scape mode, only had part of the iPad out of the truck to take the image, just checked image now, (not while driving) yep, keeper, sorta... :) I kept the front of the old Dodge in for perspective. Posted. Yea.

View attachment 1648348
And yes, this turned out better than it had any right to ;)
Pianist... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Hi Wade. Went through your entries and couldn’t believe it’s from an iPad camera. Showcase of your great skill and creativity.

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.

Borders: the diagonals and the contrasting textures really stand out in that light.
SEMO Campus: You did well in that flat light. The contrast between the bridge and the building (curved?) is a plus too. Having the historical comparison makes this even more significant.
Blue abstract: whatever it is, it has my attention. Nice even lighting.
Hiway: Besides the obvious motion the overall sense is one of calm--that early morning light is so special.
Pocket dump: Looks like you must be traveling with a full production studio, lights, etc. :D That is a very nice shot.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
This image I title “frustration”.

I had high hopes for some scapes and scenic images driving south through Central KY, along side Dale Hollow Lake, the Cumberland Plateau, and into hills and mountains of Chattanooga TN area to my evening stop South of Atlanta.

Pile of crap today, a normal 8.75-9 hour drive turned into a 11 hour ordeal thanks to fog, rain drizzle, and hard rain throughout most of the trip, coupled with an hour delay for road work in the middle of nowhere about an hour North of Atlanta. Atlanta was straight through, speeds over 50-60 mph, go figure, that never happens. Anyway, one overlook about 30 min North of Chattanooga TN, it was not raining, It was mid morning, I stopped and took a shot, never thinking this would be the only rain free image or time to take an image along the entire day. Oh well, here it is, almost embarrassed, but at least I completed the challenge.

980B4D48-FF31-40E6-A059-8DA788EA6A3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom