Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Gordo - Poser - Pentax 31/1.8, 43/1.9, 77/1.8 - 02 Oct

Player status this year, have to see how well I'm up for roaming around with camera gear for a month. Will try for a daily shot if possible. Having increasing issues with manual focus, and don't have any AF lenses for the Z6 yet. So, gear for this year is Pentax (again). After hauling a few lenses around the last 2 days, it's a bit too much too soon. So, on to a lighter Fuji kit. Yay for gear hiccups. Back to Pentax, but with the smaller lighter primes.

Update 4 Oct - had some health issues that started last year, have been getting better, thought I was to the point of running a theme for the month. Found out yesterday I'm not there yet. So, "Poser" status for the rest of the month, same gear, will try to stay within the theme as much as I can.

Also, a first for me, I'm going to try a theme(ish) - Local Flavor. If possible, all of my shots for the month will be showing something from the area I am now calling home - generic scenery, (in)famous towns/ tourist spots, historical places/ museums, State and National Parks, etc...

And, as always, I am open to any constructive critique of my photos. Even though I am a hobbyist, I am trying to improve.

K-1, FA Limited trio - 31/1.8, 43/1.9, and 77/1.8
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Huachuca Mountains. A mountain range here in SE Arizona, one of the Sky Islands in the Desert Southwest and Northern Mexico. Highest point is Miller Peak, at 9466 ft (2885 m). Partly within the Coronado National Forest, home to Miller Peak Wilderness, Coronado National Monument, Ramsey Canyon Preserve, and various rare butterflies and birds. The mountains still bear scars from the 2014 Monument Fire.

K-1, 43/1.9

Thanks!

Looks more desolate than it is, lots of scrub and brush.

Haven't made it up too far Ramsey, it'll probably be a while before I can attempt that.

There is quite a bit of hiking and camping in the mountains, and some trails in the BLM areas.

And Chris, you'll probably recognize most, if not all, of what I post this month.

View from the viewing platform at the city water reclamation site, looking towards the norhteast. Tombstone is beyond the low hills. If I'm reading my map correctly, the larger range is the Dragoon Mountains. Also part of the Coronado national Forest, and home to Cochise Stronghold.

K-1, 77/1.8

Nice work Gordon. I have my fingers crossed that you are able to continue roaming for the month and I look forward to seeing more wonderful images from your part of the world.
The layering in your landscapes keeps the viewer interested - you are doing much more than simply shooting backgrounds!

The Huachuca Mountains. A mountain range here in SE Arizona, one of the Sky Islands in the Desert Southwest and Northern Mexico. Highest point is Miller Peak, at 9466 ft (2885 m). Partly within the Coronado National Forest, home to Miller Peak Wilderness, Coronado National Monument, Ramsey Canyon Preserve, and various rare butterflies and birds. The mountains still bear scars from the 2014 Monument Fire.

K-1, 43/1.9
View attachment 1647193
Beautiful shot and great idea for the theme...getting a chance to see your part of the world will be very interesting.

View from the viewing platform at the city water reclamation site, looking towards the norhteast. Tombstone is beyond the low hills. If I'm reading my map correctly, the larger range is the Dragoon Mountains. Also part of the Coronado national Forest, and home to Cochise Stronghold.

K-1, 77/1.8
View attachment 1647255
Nice lines with the clouds, mountains, and grass.

Yes, as stated by others, your wide landscape allows for well layered, carefully set up scenic shots. Nice to be able to shoot such perfectly lined up clouds from a distance that results in free sky above and below them - adds to the horizontal-line-composition, and a lot, so!

Hi again this year, Gordo. You know, I like living in New England, but when I see shots like your first two this year, I yearn to spend a month or two living in wide open spaces. Time maybe to put it in my bucket list.

At any rate, you really are off to a great start with two really well-composed pictures. I'm sorry you ailment is getting in the way, and hoping it will slack off soon both for your sake and for ours.

Real Name
Chris
So sorry that you got ill this month, but your contribution to this thread is appreciated! Stay on the mend my friend, and hopefully this winter we will actually make it to the south of our state. See you then!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom