Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

Boy did I ever blow the start of Octoberfest 2019. I struggled to figure out what lens(es) and format I wanted to use, and completely forgot to start on Oct 1 (yesterday). I'll try to make up Day 1 and Day 2 by the end of the day today. Unfortunately it is raining here in Massachusetts today, so my choices of shot will be made more difficult.

My choice of lenses entails both my favorite lens (the 85) and my least favorite lens (the 35/2). I will try to roughly balance use of the two lenses .... the 85 both by itself and with attachments (telextenders, micro lenses) .... and the 35 with a bit of an emphasis on street shooting (not my bag at all). Time to s.t.r.e.t.c.h!

It might take me until tomorrow until I can get caught up with you all, but I look forward to doing so. See you soon.

Day 1 - The Balky Match Lit Burner

Over the weeknd my hot water ceased. My landlord thought it was the heater and replaced it. Still no hot water. Then yesterday (instead of paying attention to the start of Octoberfest) I noticed that my stove pilots were struggling to light, and this one wouldn't light at all. So a quick call for service and the Gas & Electric serviceman confirmed my hunch that it was gas .... the emergency valve outside the house had triggered and cut the flow to a trickle of gas. In the process I learned a lot about how and why a simple broken ignitor on my most used burner would not light at all, and why that which appeared to be a simple replacement would require an hours work to disassemble and reassemble the entire stovetop. Then I said "couldn't I just light the burner with a kitchen match? The answer was "yes", and so my new 'manual' front burner was lit by match, and I commemorated the event with this photo.

The shot was taken on a tripod using my D600 and Nikon 85/1.8D lens in manual focus mode, at 1/2 second while using an Olympus micro lens adaptor. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out .... but suggestions, questions, and comments are welcome.

Balky Burner_20191002_104206_Match lit.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Nice start, I don't mind it took 24 hrs. and 1/2 sec. to ecpose.

I would not have though about exposure time so much when doing that, and it turned oit so well - lesson learned, try to expose flames longer for a change...

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Gosh darn It! I was going to try something like this with my iPad later this week. Heck, still going to try it. I was planning on pointing the sensor to a dark area for a longer shutter speed and move it quickly over to the flame before it changes aperture. Nicely done!

Nice start, I don't mind it took 24 hrs. and 1/2 sec. to ecpose.

I would not have though about exposure time so much when doing that, and it turned oit so well - lesson learned, try to expose flames longer for a change...
Heh! Thanks, Roland. I had a hunch before I started that it might be the key .... it only took a few test shots to convince me.

Gosh darn It! I was going to try something like this with my iPad later this week. Heck, still going to try it. I was planning on pointing the sensor to a dark area for a longer shutter speed and move it quickly over to the flame before it changes aperture. Nicely done!
Well, Wade, maybe you can prove that there is more than one way to skin the cat! Thanks for your look-see.

There is something so pleasing about the blue light of a natural gas flame. Nicely captured, and you've given me an interesting idea that I may try during the course of the month...
Hi, Andy. Glad to meet you, and thanks for commenting. I agree with you about the flame. Such a shot seemed at first glance very pedestrian, but the more I thought about it and the challenge of the flame, the focus and depth perception, the angle of view, etc. the more it turned into simply a very nice learning experience.

Day 2 - Our Fast-Arising Arts District (Part I - Canal Walk)

Those of you who have participated in this meme over the years probably remember that I have several times covered some of the challenges facing this old industrial city now a gateway city for the Puerto Rican population moving to the States. But the bones were here in the form of a planned tri-level canal system and lots of old factories and mills. In the last few years the canal area has finally begun its transformation. It now has a major entertainment center (Gateway Arts), several new small restaurants, some loft-conversions, and a flagship culinary training center. I'll show some of these things over the next week or two, starting tonight.

Our canals are now lined with brick walkways, and now a walking bridge over the canal has been added that links the two sides of the second level canal. Here is how it looked at dusk tonight .... a task that the 35mm f2D is made for.

Canal Area_20191002_162552_Walk Way.JPG

Last edited:
In spite of the hiccup, you are off to a fine start Harry. Interesting that you have chosen two lenses which I also own although my preferences for focal length are different to yours.

Nice background story on the gas flame and well captured with the long shutter time.
The canal area looks very good - a place for people to gather and enjoy being part of the community. Perfect fodder for a 35!

Harry, nice learning about your part of the country and its contemporary character. It seems like waterfront renewal is a universal process these days. Lucky you, using a 35!

Last edited:
Glad you can join in Harry! The first shot came out great and the glow of the flame (I've been eye-balling a similar shot for my theme).

Quite the transformation and the old mills in the background, with the new walkways in the foreground makes for an interesting shot. Well done!

Real Name
Andy
Day 2 - Our Fast-Arising Arts District (Part I - Canal Walk)
IMO, this attractive scene would be better showcased without the distraction of the telephone pole wires, and the strong light from the streetlamp. Perhaps a crop, clone, and range mask would help...

In spite of the hiccup, you are off to a fine start Harry. Interesting that you have chosen two lenses which I also own although my preferences for focal length are different to yours.

Nice background story on the gas flame and well captured with the long shutter time.
The canal area looks very good - a place for people to gather and enjoy being part of the community. Perfect fodder for a 35!
Thank you, David. I look forward to visiting you soon.

Harry, nice learning about your part of the country and its contemporary character. It seems like waterfront renewal is a universal process these days. Lucky you, using a 35!
It is particularly fitting for Holyoke, Nick, as the canals were built as part of the first planned industrial city in the United States. So, three parallel canals in total. Would be a shame to waste, as it has been for the last 30 years.

Glad you can join in Harry! The first shot came out great and the glow of the flame (I've been eye-balling a similar shot for my theme).

Quite the transformation and the old mills in the background, with the new walkways in the foreground makes for an interesting shot. Well done!
Thank you, Paul. Good to be in a forum with you again. Glad you like the shots.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom