Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember seeing the Center in Octoberfests before. Glad to go back there ;)

Oh, this shot is so "harry", to use it as an adjective. There's the actual image, solid, colorful, thought out well - but there's the explanation also and the background on what we see that make your OF-threads so worthwhile every time!

This is one beautiful tree, perfect! I agree on your thoughts about the lower right corner, but sometimes, there's just no way around a disturbing corner :(

hehe, you need a taller ladder :)

The camera shutter button is at the right, isn't it? ;) (to me, it looks slightly tilted…)

this is one more example of
  1. how difficult it is, sometimes, to get a clear shot (lots of cables in there, preventing a free view - as you said)
  2. how difficult it might be to expose for the white, you did well
  3. your always top notch background info on what's going on, what's in the picture.
  4. just a beautifully, carefully taken image of your's!
wonderfully geometric. Not only the various triangles and diagonals vs. horizontals in the 2D image, but also the 3D part of the rounded wall coming out, towards us.

That's how I imagine the U.S. to be: Everything is big, there's enough space to give things the room they deserve. Long fence, bigger park, majestic trees! :)
Roland, I am touched that you found so much to like in my humble work. As I mentioned earlier, I think if I had gone into photography as a profession long ago I probably would have ended up as a photojournalist. I love "telling" stories. While I am not the most creative of photographers (as you well know from our years here) I do try to be technically correct. And I seem to have a natural talent for composition which stands me in good stead.

Wonderful to see you shoot sports, and thank you for the background info again!
That's actually what got me back to serious photography, Roland. Back in 2006 when digital SLR's finally became affordable for me. I've shot years of baseball, and perhaps a half dozen each games of football and basketball, plus a gymnastics tournament and a few other events. Not a pro by any means, but I enjoy it.

Condolences on the loss. All the best to your family in this difficult times.
Thank you, Roland. We got through it, and her children and we sibs all felt supported.

Day 30 - Last Tree Standing

When I got home from my trip to attend Sis's funeral, I found the wind and the rain raising havoc with what had been a beautiful few weeks of fall weather. As I rounded the corner to my home the next morning, I realized that the red tree just adjacent to my domicile was literally the only tree of color left in a long, long block of trees. So since I've not had much chance to shoot since my return, this penultimate day's shoot is off the tree (with my car on the left and the house on the right, for good measure.) :)

Last Foliaged_20191031_122210_Tree on Street_DxOVP.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 31 - Garbage Day (Oh, wait! It's Halloween)

Nothing "Halloween-y" to show for today's shooting. But I did get to capture our diligent garbage crew hard at work collecting the across-the-street neighbor's disposables.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

POSTLUDE

I am sorry I missed so much of this last week. I will start visiting your last few days work this evening, but with Halloween duty I may not get to some of you until tomorrow. So If I don't get to your work before you sign off this evening, let me say that it has been a fabulous Octoberfest once again, and I am thrilled to have shared it with you, seen your good and sometimes great work, and to have learned a bit more about you and your lives. Thank you, friends.

30: Love the last splash of color--very appropriate for you and the family!
31: Well, the garbage truck is orange--a giant mechanical pumpkin!

Thanks so much for sharing your genuine love for your home town with us. It is never easy to shoot that close to oneself and remain excited and keep us all engaged.

When I got home from my trip to attend Sis's funeral, I found the wind and the rain raising havoc with what had been a beautiful few weeks of fall weather. As I rounded the corner to my home the next morning, I realized that the red tree just adjacent to my domicile was literally the only tree of color left in a long, long block of trees. So since I've not had much chance to shoot since my return, this penultimate day's shoot is off the tree (with my car on the left and the house on the right, for good measure.) :)

View attachment 1649200
Beautiful color from the tree and great that it is within viewing distance, so you can enjoy it frequently, until it too loses its leaves.

Nothing "Halloween-y" to show for today's shooting. But I did get to capture our diligent garbage crew hard at work collecting the across-the-street neighbor's disposables.

View attachment 1649201

POSTLUDE

I am sorry I missed so much of this last week. I will start visiting your last few days work this evening, but with Halloween duty I may not get to some of you until tomorrow. So If I don't get to your work before you sign off this evening, let me say that it has been a fabulous Octoberfest once again, and I am thrilled to have shared it with you, seen your good and sometimes great work, and to have learned a bit more about you and your lives. Thank you, friends.
Nice finish Harry. Very enjoyable to see your efforts this Oktoberfest and read about your shots. Well done!

View attachment 1649200
Like flowers in the street, colorful, a joy to look at... sentiments...

View attachment 1649201

POSTLUDE

These trucks look the same everywhere, at their 'business end' which is the rear one for these. Not like school busses, ... ;)

I love your Postlude!

Real Name
Chris
Harry, it is always a pleasure to visit your town and see the many wonders that you portray. The final 'Dowa' is superb! The wetness of the scent, the leaves on the ground, and the action all combine to leave us with a feeling for your place in the world that is like no other. Thanks for hanging with us, even through trying times. It was all wonderfully portrayed.

It was great to see your work again Harry and a pleasure to share Oktoberfest with you. I hope that you are holding up well in the face of your recent loss.
Take care of yourself and I will look forward to shooting with you again soon.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hi Harry,
I've just gone through your Octoberfest.
You've shot a wide variety of interesting pictures.

Thank you
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom