Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

Nice to see station and train related stuff in here, this year ;)
Thanks, Roland. We've had two more trains each way added this year and we in Holyoke are rooting for the new routes to succeed.

You may have realized after all of these years that I am not a people shoot, Harry. The commotion and action of a train station is something different entirely. It is easy to "disappear" as a photographer and capture the scene around oneself without exerting any influence upon it.

Well done!
Thank you, David. I still want to try to stretch, although I'm certainly not a natural.

Nice "day in the life" capture.
Thanks, Andy. Glad you like it.

Day 11 - Up and Listening

Not much challenge here. The Maggies are in place and singing to me, bringing back the "planar" sound that I used to relish so much. They've rekindled my wonder.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can tell by the small (by today's standards) 37" tv that sound is more important to me than picture. Even for sports broadcasts. When I had the surround system, that is what I enjoyed the most .... surround stadium sound.

Day 10 - The "Vermonter" Arrives

Realized I had yet to shoot people with my 35mm, so I set out down to the Amtrak station in Holyoke to greet the southbound Amtrak "Vermonter", which arrives here mid-afternoon. Unfortunately of the six parties waiting for the train to arrive, none wanted their pictures taken, and frankly, only one was doing much that was interesting. So I decided I would focus on the train boarding. Here is the one I feel is best:

View attachment 1647843
Well, you can't shoot great photos everyday! See you tomorrow.
Not bad, considering you don’t have a lot of time, and people are usually moving briskly.

Day 11 - Up and Listening

Not much challenge here. The Maggies are in place and singing to me, bringing back the "planar" sound that I used to relish so much. They've rekindled my wonder.

View attachment 1647908
You can tell by the small (by today's standards) 37" tv that sound is more important to me than picture. Even for sports broadcasts. When I had the surround system, that is what I enjoyed the most .... surround stadium sound.
No challenge because you so adept at working with audio. I would have been moving them around all day and not being able to tell why they are not sounding the way they should. :)

No challenge because you so adept at working with audio. I would have been moving them around all day and not being able to tell why they are not sounding the way they should. :)
Well, Paul, I had two advantages. One was the earlier set of speakers, which allowed me to find the bass nodes and standing waves of the room when I first moved in. And second, since I had owned very similar speakers years ago I had some residual notice of their placement demands. It does amaze me, however, that I can remember anything since at my age I sometimes can't remember what I had for breakfast.:(

*Searches (without luck) for attached Audio File*

Nice work here Harry. Good to have your living room sorted, the speakers up and running and everything else in order before the cold weather arrives.

*Searches (without luck) for attached Audio File*

Nice work here Harry. Good to have your living room sorted, the speakers up and running and everything else in order before the cold weather arrives.
Thanks, David. As you well know, cold New England winters are made for shoveling, skiing, and snowshoeing outside and warmth, music, and hot toddy's inside.

Real Name
Chris
Your 'sensory input' room looks great Harry. Inviting although that plethora of remotes has a bit of a daunting feel to it. I suppose you know exactly what you're doing, so I'll leave that to you. I'd love to sit down with you - could you throw on some vinyl? Kinda Blue or The Miraculous Hump Returns From the Moon perhaps? I'll bring the 'refreshments'. ;)

Wow, you tidy up nicely! Sweet shot, I can almost hear the richness. I love how they dominate the room. I do get grumpy when people don't pay attention to speaker placement, or worse--bury them behind stuffed couches, out of sight!

Your 'sensory input' room looks great Harry. Inviting although that plethora of remotes has a bit of a daunting feel to it. I suppose you know exactly what you're doing, so I'll leave that to you. I'd love to sit down with you - could you throw on some vinyl? Kinda Blue or The Miraculous Hump Returns From the Moon perhaps? I'll bring the 'refreshments'. ;)
Kinda Blue I can do, Chris. You'll have to look elsewhere for the Miraculous Hump. ;)

Wow, you tidy up nicely! Sweet shot, I can almost hear the richness. I love how they dominate the room. I do get grumpy when people don't pay attention to speaker placement, or worse--bury them behind stuffed couches, out of sight!
I'm with you, Chris. I always give sonic considerations lots of weight when I look at a place to live. I knew this could only be a stereo place (whereas my previous was five channel) and that hurt me, but it sounds damn good so I can't complain.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom