Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

Day 12 - Magnetic Crane

I'm not sure what happened here ... I did this page days ago but now when I look, I cannot find.

This is a magnetic crane dumping a load of scrap metal. I've never seen one in operation before, except on my Lionel train setup when I was a kid. There is another picture in the bucket of another dump.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Day 13 - Churchill Homes - The Homes Themselves

I've shown you a lot of photos of the canal area renovation in Holyoke, but we have lots of low income families (especially Puerto Ricans) and they often have had to live in tenements when they arrive, as the city has shrunk and allowed lots of slumlords to flourish, unfortunately. But the city over the years has provided also lots of affordable housing that people can move into. And most of the developments are better than average, being townhouse style housing rather than high rise units. The latest was built during the last decade, and is known as "Churchill Housing". The following excerpt from Wikipedia explains:

"In 1996 the Housing Authority received a $15 million grant from the HOPE VI plan to redevelop the space entirely, and by 2003 the entirety of the Jackson Parkway project was demolished. Following the development of a revitalization project, construction began in 2003 on a new housing project known as Churchill Homes, built following the concepts of new urbanism to create space more congruent with the surrounding area's developments while granting low-income households greater homeownership; of the 202 units built, 100 are federally-assisted housing units managed by the Housing Authority, while the remaining 102 are occupant-owned.[7][8][9] The project, emulating the surrounding neighborhoods' architecture, was completed in two phases, and received wide acclaim including a Citation Award for Design by the American Institute of Architects in 2002, and a 2003 Award of Merit in Housing and Community Development by the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO).[10] During the 2008 financial crisis, the Springfield Republican and Pioneer Valley Planning Commission lauded the project as one of Holyoke's most successful housing developments as the owner-occupied homes, marketed toward low-income families, saw a markedly lower foreclosure rate than Hampden County taken as a whole.[7] "

Three types of housing were developed: row houses, stand-alone single houses, and six to eight unit apartment houses built in a home rather than apartment style. Below is a picture of some single family homes; the bucket contains several photos of other housing. Day 14 and 15 pictures will show more amenities of the community.

Row Houses

Day 14 - The Park

In the center of the Churchill Homes development is a park that includes a grassy field, picnic tables, stone sculptures, a fence that gives a country feel. It is triangular in shape and IMO genius in simplicity. One shot cannot do it justice ... others are in the bucket.

Day 15 - Boy's and Girl's Club Center and Community Garden

Finally, one side of the park fronts a Boys and Girls Club Annex (the main Club building is in the center of town) and two blocks away, on one edge of the development there is a well-used community garden. The Boys and Girls Club is shown here. The Garden and a park shot from in front of the club are in the bucket.

I think this whole development shows outstanding vision, and I wish all low-income housing could be so attractive.

Real Name
Andy
Day 12 - Magnetic Crane

I'm not sure what happened here ... I did this page days ago but now when I look, I cannot find.

This is a magnetic crane dumping a load of scrap metal. I've never seen one in operation before, except on my Lionel train setup when I was a kid. There is another picture in the bucket of another dump.

View attachment 1648197
Nice composition. A bit busy with the trees in foreground and background.

Day 13 - Churchill Homes - The Homes Themselves

I've shown you a lot of photos of the canal area renovation in Holyoke, but we have lots of low income families (especially Puerto Ricans) and they often have had to live in tenements when they arrive, as the city has shrunk and allowed lots of slumlords to flourish, unfortunately. But the city over the years has provided also lots of affordable housing that people can move into. And most of the developments are better than average, being townhouse style housing rather than high rise units. The latest was built during the last decade, and is known as "Churchill Housing". The following excerpt from Wikipedia explains:

"In 1996 the Housing Authority received a $15 million grant from the HOPE VI plan to redevelop the space entirely, and by 2003 the entirety of the Jackson Parkway project was demolished. Following the development of a revitalization project, construction began in 2003 on a new housing project known as Churchill Homes, built following the concepts of new urbanism to create space more congruent with the surrounding area's developments while granting low-income households greater homeownership; of the 202 units built, 100 are federally-assisted housing units managed by the Housing Authority, while the remaining 102 are occupant-owned.[7][8][9] The project, emulating the surrounding neighborhoods' architecture, was completed in two phases, and received wide acclaim including a Citation Award for Design by the American Institute of Architects in 2002, and a 2003 Award of Merit in Housing and Community Development by the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO).[10] During the 2008 financial crisis, the Springfield Republican and Pioneer Valley Planning Commission lauded the project as one of Holyoke's most successful housing developments as the owner-occupied homes, marketed toward low-income families, saw a markedly lower foreclosure rate than Hampden County taken as a whole.[7] "

Three types of housing were developed: row houses, stand-alone single houses, and six to eight unit apartment houses built in a home rather than apartment style. Below is a picture of some single family homes; the bucket contains several photos of other housing. Day 14 and 15 pictures will show more amenities of the community.

View attachment 1648201
Row Houses
Day 14 - The Park

In the center of the Churchill Homes development is a park that includes a grassy field, picnic tables, stone sculptures, a fence that gives a country feel. It is triangular in shape and IMO genius in simplicity. One shot cannot do it justice ... others are in the bucket.

View attachment 1648202
Day 15 - Boy's and Girl's Club Center and Community Garden

Finally, one side of the park fronts a Boys and Girls Club Annex (the main Club building is in the center of town) and two blocks away, on one edge of the development there is a well-used community garden. The Boys and Girls Club is shown here. The Garden and a park shot from in front of the club are in the bucket.

View attachment 1648203

I think this whole development shows outstanding vision, and I wish all low-income housing could be so attractive.
Interesting background story about the development and well executed captures of the area.

I saw the bucket posts first, then these. Nice documentary images for what sounds like a very promising rejuvenation.
Thanks, Andy. I am an amateur photojournalist at heart, I think. Thanks for viewing.
Nice composition. A bit busy with the trees in foreground and background.
Thanks, Paul. Couldn't get any closer and my lens with telextender wouldn't go any longer, so it is what it is, unfortunately.

Day 16 - Mercedes School Bus??

I was driving by a small private school the other day and caught a glimpse of this and another identical school van sitting out front among the teachers/administrator's cars. Never seen a Mercedes van used this way before, at least not in this country. The fact that they were parked there during the school session itself led me to wonder: are these owned by the school? Or did some teachers/administrators form a side company to operate these "buses" and thereby gain favorable tax treatment and secondary income during their depreciation period (then suddenly revert to private cars). Questions, questions.

The sun was very high in the sky and slightly backlit the vans, making for a pretty darn difficult shooting environment. Given that, I was pretty happy how it came out, but suggestions that you may have as to how to shoot better in this kind of environment will be appreciated.

Reminds me of a Caribbean island (Saint Martin?) that we stopped at during a cruise, where all the taxis were Mercedes.

Tough shot indeed. Would a polarizing filter helped with the glare some?

Reminds me of a Caribbean island (Saint Martin?) that we stopped at during a cruise, where all the taxis were Mercedes.

Tough shot indeed. Would a polarizing filter helped with the glare some?
Duh!! Of course it would have, had I thought of it (slips into his 80-year old disguise.) I didn't have it with me (too many bags) but I was close enough to home that I could have retrieved it.

Thank you, Wade. Sometimes I forget what I forget.

Wow, you tidy up nicely! Sweet shot, I can almost hear the richness. I love how they dominate the room. I do get grumpy when people don't pay attention to speaker placement, or worse--bury them behind stuffed couches, out of sight!
I'm with you on this! Love music, love sound, buy speakers, place them accordingly! Or let it be. There's no excuse for lame placement and terrible audio experience…

Oh man, do I love this documentary style of shooting with the explanations aside, Harry. I makes your home our home, and we get familiar with that surroundings. And these shots aren't easy to get right. Easy to get, but right? No!

As difficult as he car is, technically, to get with all the reflections, as much all the other images need care! While doing the compositional work, the thinking of what to in- and exclude, the timing (not getting disturbing traffic an people in it)… you name it, you were there. Your skill is to make watchers forget what went into it!

Day 16 - Mercedes School Bus??

I was driving by a small private school the other day and caught a glimpse of this and another identical school van sitting out front among the teachers/administrator's cars. Never seen a Mercedes van used this way before, at least not in this country. The fact that they were parked there during the school session itself led me to wonder: are these owned by the school? Or did some teachers/administrators form a side company to operate these "buses" and thereby gain favorable tax treatment and secondary income during their depreciation period (then suddenly revert to private cars). Questions, questions.

The sun was very high in the sky and slightly backlit the vans, making for a pretty darn difficult shooting environment. Given that, I was pretty happy how it came out, but suggestions that you may have as to how to shoot better in this kind of environment will be appreciated.

View attachment 1648280
Ah, sold as "V class" and "Viano" here, these vans aren't that rare. But as a school bus, I've never seen one either.

Day 12 - Magnetic Crane

View attachment 1648197
Yes I've seen that before, and in the bucket also :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom