Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
Magnetic crane: Love the shades of green in this shot, the cold steel blue of the crane's load, and the rusty old rail car!
Churchill Homes and The Park: What a neat concept for low income housing, and so responsible. I really do like the Park shot, the fence/gate serving as an internal "frame". Nicely captured.
Boys and Girls Club: nice inviting facade.

This series is a great documentary piece, especially with your added coverage in the Bucket. Nicely done Harry.

Mercedes School Bus: I rather like the reflections on the A-pillar, and the well exposed and dominant Mercedes tri-star logo. The red lights on the sign are like alien eyes. . . . !

Nifty 150: Nicely controlled lighting and a masterful crop. My only nit-pick, are the power lines reflected in the windshield, but that's minor.

Half mast: Nicely composed--the flag is well placed just above the trees, so it stands out well. Appreciate the salute!

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
Magnetic crane: Love the shades of green in this shot, the cold steel blue of the crane's load, and the rusty old rail car!
Churchill Homes and The Park: What a neat concept for low income housing, and so responsible. I really do like the Park shot, the fence/gate serving as an internal "frame". Nicely captured.
Boys and Girls Club: nice inviting facade.

This series is a great documentary piece, especially with your added coverage in the Bucket. Nicely done Harry.

Mercedes School Bus: I rather like the reflections on the A-pillar, and the well exposed and dominant Mercedes tri-star logo. The red lights on the sign are like alien eyes. . . . !

Nifty 150: Nicely controlled lighting and a masterful crop. My only nit-pick, are the power lines reflected in the windshield, but that's minor.

Half mast: Nicely composed--the flag is well placed just above the trees, so it stands out well. Appreciate the salute!
You are certainly excused, Nick. I've been following your trip with interest. I really do appreciate your comments, and your diligence in plowing through so many photos. I'm glad you like them.

Day 19 - Bingo Prep

The clock on the wall says 12:30pm. Bingo starts at 1:00pm. So what you see here are various folks at some stage of setting up/settling in. I'm not a Bingo player myself (not much challenge in random probability) but the Senior Center where I eat lunch is packed every Friday noon. I took this right after those of us eating lunch had cleared the tables, and before half the Bingo crowd arrived. The shot is from an upstairs room housing billiards and card tables, with (dirty) windows in one location overlooking the hall. I couldn't get further left, thus the odd angle, although I think the near-right light and the pathway of lights probably would have won out as being more attractive even if I could have. The friendly guys behind me playing billiards kept right on playing, with my rump using up half their space as I bent over to peer out the window.

Senior Center_20191018_112102_Bingo frm AboveA.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
As you know, I am traveling, so missed the past few images of yours, love love that front end! Great way to shoot and create an interesting composition. Half mast gives one pause, and you captured it well. Bingo prelude gives a great sense of space, and height. Wonderful shot, my fav of your recent ones.

Day 19 - Bingo Prep

The clock on the wall says 12:30pm. Bingo starts at 1:00pm. So what you see here are various folks at some stage of setting up/settling in. I'm not a Bingo player myself (not much challenge in random probability) but the Senior Center where I eat lunch is packed every Friday noon. I took this right after those of us eating lunch had cleared the tables, and before half the Bingo crowd arrived. The shot is from an upstairs room housing billiards and card tables, with (dirty) windows in one location overlooking the hall. I couldn't get further left, thus the odd angle, although I think the near-right light and the pathway of lights probably would have won out as being more attractive even if I could have. The friendly guys behind me playing billiards kept right on playing, with my rump using up half their space as I bent over to peer out the window.

View attachment 1648491
Harry, its been a while since we went on a photoshoot together (May of 2008) but You still amaze me with your ability to turn an ordinary scene into an interesting photograph. Well done!

Real Name
Chris
I think the lamps from the top make this picture really special and unique. Well seen! The combination of the circular lamps and the tables and all the people set around them makes for fun visual exploration. And your story gave me a chuckle!

Harry, its been a while since we went on a photoshoot together (May of 2008) but You still amaze me with your ability to turn an ordinary scene into an interesting photograph. Well done!
Thanks, Dave. I was just thinking about that photoshoot the other day, as I looked at some of the changes in Northampton and Smith since then. I have been remiss in not contacting you to get together. I do look at your work when I run across it here in the Cafe. But my shooting has taken a backseat to printing some of what I've accumulated over the years. Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment.

I think the lamps from the top make this picture really special and unique. Well seen! The combination of the circular lamps and the tables and all the people set around them makes for fun visual exploration. And your story gave me a chuckle!
Thank you, Chris. I figured the unusual viewpoint was worth a try .... and when I actually got into position I knew the scene had the potential to make a good photo. Glad you liked it.

Day 20 - Ivy Stack

View attachment 1648539
This is a stack at the end of an old mill that has been torn down following extensive damage by a small tornado several years ago. Not only is it one of the more interesting stacks in the area, but it is also one of the few without a festoon of cell towers at the top (my guess is that the building remaining does not have electrical service, but it may also be because it sets low in the valley.) I deliberately chose the slightly off-kilter view because it was more interesting (IMO) than shooting straight up.l

A picture of the base is in the bucket.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom