Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Love the colors and pop n your latest, don’t know why, but those power lines detract my eye. But the color make a strong image regardless.

I'm with you on this! Love music, love sound, buy speakers, place them accordingly! Or let it be. There's no excuse for lame placement and terrible audio experience…
I appreciate that you guys appreciate what good sound reproduction does for music. Thanks.

Oh man, do I love this documentary style of shooting with the explanations aside, Harry. I makes your home our home, and we get familiar with that surroundings. And these shots aren't easy to get right. Easy to get, but right? No!

As difficult as he car is, technically, to get with all the reflections, as much all the other images need care! While doing the compositional work, the thinking of what to in- and exclude, the timing (not getting disturbing traffic an people in it)… you name it, you were there. Your skill is to make watchers forget what went into it!
Thanks, Roland. That's what I try for. But hardly always succeed. I appreciate your comments.

Love the colors and pop n your latest, don’t know why, but those power lines detract my eye. But the color make a strong image regardless.
Good observation. I could live with the ones against the sky, Wade. But they could also be easily removed. I don't have the skill and experience or the tools to take them out against the complexities of the trees ...... those are the ones that bother me. So since I couldn't take those out, I left the sky wires in as well.

Nice opportunity shot. I suppose it makes sense that a small fancy school has a small fancy bus!
The private schools around here do well, Chris. While the public schools are starved for funds. A lot of that built around ethnic prejudice. And certainly not restricted to Holyoke. But I still wonder ..... school property, or a side business?

My turn to be playing catch-up Harry. I've really enjoyed the way in which you have documented the re-development of the city area. The place looks very genteel now and you have done a great job promoting it.

Day 17 - The "Nifty 150"

My landlord's new Ford 150 pickup, purchased a month ago. I love the Royal Blue color, and I have wanted to take its "portrait" for some time (note the focus on the eyes.) So capturing it as a "safety photo" for a rainy day like today seemed the perfect opportunity. I really have designated it as his "Nifty 150". He likes the nomenclature.

Kens Pickup_20191002_154735_Ford 150.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
Now those kids commute in style! Backlighting is my favorite light, as long as I'm not driving into it! The secret is to mind the reflections, which I see you have done nicely here. By using the reflections as guides to the contours, you're using the reversed nature of the lighting as an advantage. I think you handled it very well. Did you also try moving slightly to your left, so the reflection would have also outlined the top of the vehicle? You can't really predict how it works out, because the range is so far from the middle of the scene.

Day 17 - The "Nifty 150"

My landlord's new Ford 150 pickup, purchased a month ago. I love the Royal Blue color, and I have wanted to take its "portrait" for some time (note the focus on the eyes.) So capturing it as a "safety photo" for a rainy day like today seemed the perfect opportunity. I really have designated it as his "Nifty 150". He likes the nomenclature.

View attachment 1648361
Focus on the eye? That was difficult, because your eyes are hidden by the camera and your fingers. And this is (of course) the case in both of your mirror images in the grill... ;)

Yes, from this angle, it does not look that big. And you are right about the wonderful blue.

Now those kids commute in style! Backlighting is my favorite light, as long as I'm not driving into it! The secret is to mind the reflections, which I see you have done nicely here. By using the reflections as guides to the contours, you're using the reversed nature of the lighting as an advantage. I think you handled it very well. Did you also try moving slightly to your left, so the reflection would have also outlined the top of the vehicle? You can't really predict how it works out, because the range is so far from the middle of the scene.
I did try those angles, Chris. Moving my butt from place to place. But some of the reflections became larger and harder to deal with, or to get them under control I would lose most of the school bus sign. In addition, I ended up liking this angle the best of the ones I could control.

Nifty 150! Funny, and I like it! Your shot makes that pickup truck look like a luxury sedan! :eek:
Well, the Royal Blue color is not all that common on trucks, I don't believe. But in addition I think the Ford line strikes a better balance these days between machismo and elegance than do either the Chrysler or GM lines. Glad you like it.

Focus on the eye? That was difficult, because your eyes are hidden by the camera and your fingers. And this is (of course) the case in both of your mirror images in the grill... ;)

Yes, from this angle, it does not look that big. And you are right about the wonderful blue.
Whoop, you caught me! :notworthy:

Day 18 - Soldier's Home Flag at Half-Mast

It went down yesterday afternoon, so I presume it was in honor of Elijah Cummings. This independent military facility has a history of honoring those they consider patriots.

Soldier's Home _20191018_114951_Half-Mast Flag.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom