Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

Day 20 - Ivy Stack

Old Mill_20191018_113620_Ivy SmokestackA.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a stack at the end of an old mill that has been torn down following extensive damage by a small tornado several years ago. Not only is it one of the more interesting stacks in the area, but it is also one of the few without a festoon of cell towers at the top (my guess is that the building remaining does not have electrical service, but it may also be because it sets low in the valley.) I deliberately chose the slightly off-kilter view because it was more interesting (IMO) than shooting straight up.l

I've put an interesting shot of the base of the stack in the bucket.
Go to Bucket Page 10

Last edited:
The Stack is good Harry. I can imagine other reasons why it hasn't been festooned with antennae.

P.S. it looks as if you may need a sensor clean as I do.

P.S. it looks as if you may need a sensor clean as I do.

After cleaning way too many spots off the 100+ images I made while on the Oregon coast last week, I used the built-in sensor cleaner followed by a rocket blower and it appears to have done the job. Some shots must have had upward of 25 spots, all from just 2 quick lens changes (on the beach)

Real Name
Paul
Day 17 - The "Nifty 150"

My landlord's new Ford 150 pickup, purchased a month ago. I love the Royal Blue color, and I have wanted to take its "portrait" for some time (note the focus on the eyes.) So capturing it as a "safety photo" for a rainy day like today seemed the perfect opportunity. I really have designated it as his "Nifty 150". He likes the nomenclature.

View attachment 1648361
Nice perspective.

Real Name
Paul
Day 19 - Bingo Prep

The clock on the wall says 12:30pm. Bingo starts at 1:00pm. So what you see here are various folks at some stage of setting up/settling in. I'm not a Bingo player myself (not much challenge in random probability) but the Senior Center where I eat lunch is packed every Friday noon. I took this right after those of us eating lunch had cleared the tables, and before half the Bingo crowd arrived. The shot is from an upstairs room housing billiards and card tables, with (dirty) windows in one location overlooking the hall. I couldn't get further left, thus the odd angle, although I think the near-right light and the pathway of lights probably would have won out as being more attractive even if I could have. The friendly guys behind me playing billiards kept right on playing, with my rump using up half their space as I bent over to peer out the window.

View attachment 1648491
It sure is a big past time for some folks.

Real Name
Paul
Day 20 - Ivy Stack

View attachment 1648541
This is a stack at the end of an old mill that has been torn down following extensive damage by a small tornado several years ago. Not only is it one of the more interesting stacks in the area, but it is also one of the few without a festoon of cell towers at the top (my guess is that the building remaining does not have electrical service, but it may also be because it sets low in the valley.) I deliberately chose the slightly off-kilter view because it was more interesting (IMO) than shooting straight up.l

I've put an interesting shot of the base of the stack in the bucket.
Go to Bucket Page 10
Wonderful shot Harry! The perspective, colors, and ivy growth, make for a very interesting shot.

Real Name
Chris
One cool structure. We have a few abandoned stacks in Arizona, but they are mostly from copper smelters. They have a rich aroma of brimstone (sulfur trioxide actually). This one looks decidedly healthier, as there are living things on it.

One cool structure. We have a few abandoned stacks in Arizona, but they are mostly from copper smelters. They have a rich aroma of brimstone (sulfur trioxide actually). This one looks decidedly healthier, as there are living things on it.
Heh. Your "rich aroma" story reminds me of when as a kid we used to drive by a glue factory. Appreciate it, Chris.

Day 21 - Shapely Tree?

I've done so many fall color shots in past Octoberfests I'm not concentrating on that this year. So the color on this tree is pretty, but ordinary, Fall Orange. What struck me was that apparently this tree has been "groomed" with careful pruning over the years. I don't recall ever seeing that on a full grown tree before. It sits on a far corner of an estate that has been turned into a museum here in Holyoke. But IMO the gardening got a bit out of hand on this one.

Wisteriahurst_20191018_111533_Shapely Tree.JPG

ps. I did try to offset the perspective once I looked at the photo full size. Small as the bottom right area may be, it bothered me. But I could not do it, even partially, without cutting into the tree itself which would have destroyed the whole purpose of the shot.

Last edited:
Day 22 - Center of Holyoke from Afar

Soldier's Home _20191018_115758_Half-Mast FlagA.JPG

I've looked over the years for a reasonably accessible place to shoot a landscape shot of Holyoke. This is the best place I have found, and it is not good as there is too much foreground clutter, at least at 170mm which this was shot at (2x extender on the 85mm). The ornate tower in the center is Holyoke's still-used City Hall. The canal area that I showed you a lot of over the years is down in the valley between city hall and the dark bank on the other side of the river. I guess I'll never get a shot I really like unless I rent an airplane.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Day 21 - Shapely Tree?

I've done so many fall color shots in past Octoberfests I'm not concentrating on that this year. So the color on this tree is pretty, but ordinary, Fall Orange. What struck me was that apparently this tree has been "groomed" with careful pruning over the years. I don't recall ever seeing that on a full grown tree before. It sits on a far corner of an estate that has been turned into a museum here in Holyoke. But IMO the gardening got a bit out of hand on this one.

View attachment 1648589
ps. I did try to offset the perspective once I looked at the photo full size. Small as the bottom right area may be, it bothered me. But I could not do it, even partially, without cutting into the tree itself which would have destroyed the who purpose of the shot.
I like it centered, as it is a large focal point.

Latest threads

Top Bottom