Critique 2019 Octoberfest - harrylavo - player - 35/2D AF & 85/1.8D - D600 - Days 30 and 31

Great colours Harry. I'll join the chorus in saying that the lines don't disturb at all and are an integral part of what is going on. Rather than trying to remove them in post, the other option is to frame without them and it looks as if that was not possible.
Thank you, David. I did try both while composing shots and in post .... but both my instincts and the actual results said it just didn't work.

Three superb additions to the saga of Holyoke. The fall colors really sing in all of these. In the desert, we won't see anything like that until December.

Harry, might there be a chartered plane ride in your future? :D
I think perhaps, Chris. But I hope it happens before the one I've asked my daughter to do to scatter my ashes! :)

Day 24 - Patterns at Sunset

A lovely clear day today. I had to walk in the morning and couldn't get the morning gold, so I was determined to at least capture some evening gold. Then I saw this house, apartment building, and church steeple in juxtaposition and just had to capture it. Required putting on both my Kenko 2x and 1.4x telextenders, something I've never done before so far as I can recall.

Holyoke Sunset_20191024_163105_Building Pattern.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While shooting this, a foursome of cute little girls were playing in the parking lot I was shooting over, and just as I got into my shooting, they suddenly sat in a circle, had some kind of communication, jumped to their feet and left. I grabbed a single shot and blew it up for the bucket. Not great technically at all but ..... well, see for yourself.

Beautiful light and a fine composition of lines and colors. Well done!
That apartment building is wonderful, and the lines from the three structures really make for a great composition.
Thank you, Andy and Paul. The combination of the lines and the colors, all in great light just screamed "here I am .... just shoot me!" It's only a few times a year that a scene presents itself so well. And when it does, sometimes I don't have a camera with me. This time I was out looking for it thanks to Octoberfest's salutary demands.

Real Name
Chris
Day 24 - Patterns at Sunset

A lovely clear day today. I had to walk in the morning and couldn't get the morning gold, so I was determined to at least capture some evening gold. Then I saw this house, apartment building, and church steeple in juxtaposition and just had to capture it. Required putting on both my Kenko 2x and 1.4x telextenders, something I've never done before so far as I can recall.

View attachment 1648741

While shooting this, a foursome of cute little girls were playing in the parking lot I was shooting over, and just as I got into my shooting, they suddenly sat in a circle, had some kind of communication, jumped to their feet and left. I grabbed a single shot and blew it up for the bucket. Not great technically at all but ..... well, see for yourself.

Beautiful and expressive architecture of a place (and possibly era) that is becoming more and more difficult to find. the hints at interior bring it home nicely!

I just looked at your bucket picture. I did projects with my daughter throughout her tween and teen years. One picture she came up with was her and a girlfriend through the rear door of a windowless van, with chocolate smeared all over their faces and hands. It has a caption of "I guess there really was candy in the back." I never made it, and now she's too old. It really was not age appropriate when she suggested it, but I have come to expect that by now.

The girls are saying "There is a creepy old man over there taking our picture. Let's leave, but remember what he looks like just in case."

Sadly in the last couple days (especially during my sunrise in the park walk) I bypassed many pictures of youngsters, that a decade ago would have been beautiful.

Thanks New World.

I think perhaps, Chris. But I hope it happens before the one I've asked my daughter to do to scatter my ashes! :)

I've tried, but neither one of us are ready for that conversation just yet. (Soon, but I'm deliberately pushing it back!)

Beautiful and expressive architecture of a place (and possibly era) that is becoming more and more difficult to find. the hints at interior bring it home nicely!

I just looked at your bucket picture. I did projects with my daughter throughout her tween and teen years. One picture she came up with was her and a girlfriend through the rear door of a windowless van, with chocolate smeared all over their faces and hands. It has a caption of "I guess there really was candy in the back." I never made it, and now she's too old. It really was not age appropriate when she suggested it, but I have come to expect that by now.

The girls are saying "There is a creepy old man over there taking our picture. Let's leave, but remember what he looks like just in case."

Sadly in the last couple days (especially during my sunrise in the park walk) I bypassed many pictures of youngsters, that a decade ago would have been beautiful.

Thanks New World.

I've tried, but neither one of us are ready for that conversation just yet. (Soon, but I'm deliberately pushing it back!)
Hi Chris, I was a bit worried about the girls or somebody else's reaction. The best I could do was to make sure I was always shooting well above them and in a slightly different direction. The snap I showed was only one of two I actually pointed the camera at them. So, they may have been saying that. But I hope not.

Glad you like the architectural shot. I love the juxtaposition of old and new in this city. The green home in front is the most fringe of the family homes from the Churchill Homes development I showed earlier. The apartment is totally typical of when the city was at its zenith ..... tons of apartments meant to provided decent housing for the thousands of factory workers who worked at the mills. And the church steeple .... every ethnic group had their own church or churches. Many of them just barely still exist, and some have crumbled and had to be demolished. The one here is the original church that led to the name "Church Hill" which became "Churchill."

Day 25 - Football Runthru's

The other day I ran across the Holyoke High School football squad (it seemed like both varsity and jv team together) having offensive and defensive drills at their practice field. They dressed in a way called "Light Pads". Basically casual clothes except for shoulder pads and a helmuts.

Dim or streaked light and a tele lens that consisted of 85mm + 1.4x Kenko Pro or 2.0x Kenko Pro or both. Usually when I shoot sports none of my gear in Octoberfest would be included ..... but here we are. I reminded myself that when I first started shooting sports I was using a D50 and a $185 Sigma 5.6-6.3 lens, and gave it a try.

The key to shooting sports, IMO, is either catching key action moments, or else catching some balletic grace. So among others I came up was this pass action. To me it is interesting that the quarterback throwing the ball is actually smiling .... the reason is that his end just broke free and if his throw was accurate, they had a touchdown. He did throw accurately, and in a real game they would have scored.

Holyoke HS_20191024_161248_Colored Tree_05AA.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the bucket I've put a few other shots that perhaps better convey the large group involved. Based on my calculations, they were running in three squads on offense and three on defense as they changed offensive plays and defensive sets. The assignment-callers on both sides got a workout.

Real Name
Paul
Day 25 - Football Runthru's

The other day I ran across the Holyoke High School football squad (it seemed like both varsity and jv team together) having offensive and defensive drills at their practice field. They dressed in a way called "Light Pads". Basically casual clothes except for shoulder pads and a helmuts.

Dim or streaked light and a tele lens that consisted of 85mm + 1.4x Kenko Pro or 2.0x Kenko Pro or both. Usually when I shoot sports none of my gear in Octoberfest would be included ..... but here we are. I reminded myself that when I first started shooting sports I was using a D50 and a $185 Sigma 5.6-6.3 lens, and gave it a try.

The key to shooting sports, IMO, is either catching key action moments, or else catching some balletic grace. So among others I came up was this pass action. To me it is interesting that the quarterback throwing the ball is actually smiling .... the reason is that his end just broke free and if his throw was accurate, they had a touchdown. He did throw accurately, and in a real game they would have scored.

View attachment 1648784

In the bucket I've put a few other shots that perhaps better convey the large group involved. Based on my calculations, they were running in three squads on offense and three on defense as they changed offensive plays and defensive sets. The assignment-callers on both sides got a workout.
Well done Harry! Catching the timing of motion sports like this is difficult and you did a super job.

More cool stuff from your corner of the world, Harry. The geometry of your buildings forms a terrific image- the light helps to make it very attractive.
Well done on the football. Obviously training is a less stressful time period than the match and that provides good opportunities for sports photographers. You have seized them nicely.

Football with an 85? Quite an undertaking! You have met the challenge well.
Like I said, Andy. Never would have been in my bag for sports. Nor would be the telextenders. But my early training with the D50 helped as it simply forced mostly single shots, and the 70-300mm f5.6-6.3 I had to shoot with then was pretty well simulated by the 85mm with its telextenders. Thanks for you comments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom