Critique 2019 Octoberfest - les_au - player - 35/1.8 dx 105/1.8 day 20

Sorry Les, I had missed this one (a subtle hint to update your thread title)

A very interesting play of light from your lamp- well shot.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Keeper, and I appreciate the slightly off center framing. The negative space/dark area on the left adds balance.

Hi les .... it is great to see you back in the 'Fest. I agree with the comments others have given you re the first picture .... but it got you here, which is 2/3rd's of the ballgame. The night sky shot is wonderful. I agree with those who comment on the clouds ... makes it a much more interesting shot, as do the star trails.

The lamp shot is great in all details. I agree with the dark space on the left as an important element of the photo's balance. I might crop just a bit of it, but otherwise not change a thing. Great start!

Real Name
Chris
The lamp seems to be defying gravity - I can't tell if it's on a ceiling or a table! And the leaf is beautiful. It makes me consider the plant kingdom's roll, to go through the cycle of life and death to renew again. This picture shows it off well.

The choice of contrast settings in the leaf picture is well thought out, and it doesn't lack contrast. The subject would make it easy to go over the top (and only realize afterwards).

The middle cloud looks like a whale, diving. It's fluke, I mean. The whole image has more of an old documentary shot, and would fit the forbidding feel of a book on nuclear testing sites, ...

Day 7: The trees are certainly ominous and they make the clouds so interesting. The light line of the foreground buildings and the reflecting white signs make for interest without dominating the scene.
Perhaps cropping the scene just above the clouds would make for a more dramatic photo.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Love the horizontal lines of your last image, I think this screams for a 2:1 horizontal crop to highlight those clouds.

Real Name
Chris
The clouds are fascinating - they echo the forms in the shadows of the trees below them. The inclusion of houses just adds to the layered effect. Excellent use of the 2/3rds white space at the top.

As others have said, the clouds are certainly the attention-grabbers in your latest, Les. I hope that they brought some rain to your part of the world.

Real Name
Paul
day 4 - there is always light no matter how dark life seems

View attachment 1647324 OF19 day4 by les_au, on Flickr
Great shot. I love the play in contrast.

day 6, leaf study

View attachment 1647508 of19 day 6 by les_au, on Flickr
Nice shot. The leaf seems a touch out of focus.

day 7 - over the back fence

View attachment 1647604 of19 day 7 by les_au, on Flickr

i just missed golden hour and this turned out less interesting than i had hoped, clouds were interesting though
A bit dark for me, but I agree the clouds are very interesting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom