Critique 2019 Octoberfest - skidoo - poser - D810 with 35 F1.8, 60 F2.8 micro, 135 F2, 200 F4 micro, 300 F4 - Day 29

60mm F2.8 Micro lens, Day 16 - Took a few days off. This one from some Fall cleanup today.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The abstraction is so great it took me almost a minute of study until I recognized what it was, Mike. That little puff of smoke (looking a bit like a volcano) mesmerized me. Interesting photograph. Your break served you well.

60mm F2.8 micro lens, Day 17 - This came from a couple of the pumpkins posted earlier. An attempt at focus stacking from 5 shots.

The abstraction is so great it took me almost a minute of study until I recognized what it was, Mike.
Exactly. First glance on my mobile: Oh, want wonderful orange leaves on nice BW birch branches :)
60mm F2.8 micro lens, Day 17 - This came from a couple of the pumpkins posted earlier. An attempt at focus stacking from 5 shots.

View attachment 1648415
Hmmm.... I like pumpkin!
As for the image: what software to use to get such a thing? Or is this done in camera? I've (still) not tried a focus stack yet, something one should do once at least to learn new technical skills...

Real Name
Andy
Nice work with the stack. Like Paul, I typically prefer apple pie to pumpkin, but this slice looks delicious!

If I may make a suggestion:
In your composition, some extra foreground to include the entire plate would have been beneficial. A bit of dark surface between the white plate and the bottom of the frame would help corral the eye's attention back to the subject.

As for the image: what software to use to get such a thing? Or is this done in camera? I've (still) not tried a focus stack yet, something one should do once at least to learn new technical skills...
I'd also like to know the ins and outs of this technique. My older cameras do not have this built in, for sure. Mike, I'm looking at your settings on this, and as best I can determine this is a way of getting depth of field when dim light sources would otherwise dictate unacceptably low aperture settings. Which you certainly have done. Is this correct?

Nice work with the stack. Like Paul, I typically prefer apple pie to pumpkin, but this slice looks delicious!

If I may make a suggestion:
In your composition, some extra foreground to include the entire plate would have been beneficial. A bit of dark surface between the white plate and the bottom of the frame would help corral the eye's attention back to the subject.
Thanks. And, I totally agree with your suggestion. Not my best work such that I didn't even watermark it. I didn't really spend much time on this. I got out this slice for breakfast, and thought I better get a photo for the day before consuming. So, I did a quick setup and didn't pay enough attention to that bottom. So, that ended up being the only shot to choose from for the day. So, it was that one or nothing for the day.

Absolutely wonderful shot! Now, substitute the pumpkin pie with an apple pie, and I’ll be drooling over the picture. :)
Yea! I still have a bunch of apples on the trees. I've picked a bunch but not sure they are sweet enough yet. Apple pie coming soon, hopefully before the end of the month!

Hmmm.... I like pumpkin!

I'd also like to know the ins and outs of this technique. My older cameras do not have this built in, for sure. Mike, I'm looking at your settings on this, and as best I can determine this is a way of getting depth of field when dim light sources would otherwise dictate unacceptably low aperture settings. Which you certainly have done. Is this correct?
I never tried this before. 5 shots were taken from on the tripod. The first one focused on the tip of the slice, then each successive shot focused a little further back until the last one at the back. I understand that for the best effect, even more shots may be necessary, especially with a larger aperture. The setting was at F8 and the depth was still not good enough, hence the attempt at stacking.

I exported the files downsized to 5 jpg files. Then, the 5 files were opened as layers. Did the automatic align layers, and then the stack function. It was simpler than I anticipated, but I did have to do a web search for instructions on stacking using Photoshop PS6.

I'll have to try this again some time with more attention to details.

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
Love the fire shot--it had me guessing for a second until I read your words. My first guess was an orange habanero, the power of suggestion from your jalapeño shot no doubt. Well exposed.
Pie: Good job with the photo stacking.

Last edited:
300mm F4 AFS lens, Day 19 - Technically, not my best shot of the day, but the most interesting subject.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom