Critique 2019 Oktoberfest-djh63-(David)-Hardcore-D700 + 50/1.2AiS Day 27

Great use of DoF. The branches and flowers just pop off the screen...going to get my 3D glasses... :)
Thanks Paul.

Truly like that pop of 3D purple, well done.
Thank you Wade. Although most of my work this month has been in b/w, occasionally a splash of colour is interesting enough to be included.

That was my reaction too--3-D. Well done. I've always found Lavender hard to photograph, with it's dense collection of stems. Fininding a good focus point is hard!
Thanks Nick. Agree 100% that finding the right viewpoint and getting some sort of isolation is key to shooting this stuff. At least it still smells good!

You've used that lens' best features, David ..... the sharpness above f2, and the beautiful blurred background. A really nice capture.
Thanks Harry.

The way the branches enter the image makes my eye wander a bit out of frame the right (in the same way it would for a person or animal where the crop is mid-limb). Nevertheless, I like the lighting and the shallow DOF.
Thanks Andy. I hear you about the exit from the frame and I toyed with the idea of rotating the picture. In the end, I decided that it is just lavender :D

Twenty Six

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
Mmmm. Twenty five is delicate and bold at the same time. Well done! Twenty Six plays with my sense of vision! It's monochrome, right? The contrast makes it seem like there might be washed out color (at least the way I see color.) The spikey composition plays well against the smoothness of the preceeding shot.

Interesting balance of white space and contrast in the shot.
Thanks Paul
26: Dreamy! In sharp focus, but not!
Thank you Nick. I went out in the early fog and knew that there was a picture in that rosemary bush somewhere.
26, wonderful composition and subject placement.
Thanks Wade.

Mmmm. Twenty five is delicate and bold at the same time. Well done! Twenty Six plays with my sense of vision! It's monochrome, right? The contrast makes it seem like there might be washed out color (at least the way I see color.) The spikey composition plays well against the smoothness of the preceeding shot.
Definitely monochrome and yup, it was a prickly sort of opportunity. Thanks Chris.

Twenty Seven

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And it's not even Halloween.

This shot is what the lens is all about ;)
While you can also stop it down for sharpness :) ( :D )
textures, shadows, composition… (y)
For me, this one is a bit difficult to get: why did you decide to leave leaves out of focus, slightly?
:) - nice find, especially the angle from which it's shot!
I didn't realize you were in our garden!
As said, again :) This one's a beauty! I like the spider webs (?) also, in the foliage.
Twenty Seven

View attachment 1648896

And it's not even Halloween.
No, it's not. Only now I realize we shot a self-portrait(-like in my case) shot through a (bathroom?) mirror, in a room with the same window (I know the mechanics, I only need to visit the bathroom).

Real Name
Chris
David, it was such a pleasure to shoot with you once again. Your presence in this thread gave it an =essence that would have been sorely missed had you not come back for this. Some wonderful black and white work, with realism and abstraction that I find to be of the best photography can offer. Well done, take care, and thank you for participating!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom