Critique 2019 Oktoberfest-djh63-(David)-Hardcore-D700 + 50/1.2AiS Day 27

Real Name
Chris
My grandchild gets a magazine that has lots of puzzles and picture games. A recurring theme is "how many triangles do you find?" Technically the answer for your picture would be zero, but that's where it took my mind. I LOVE the geometry and the chaos of this picture.

Great shot! I love the play of light and dark areas and the shapes of the wood. Absolutely perfect!
Thanks Paul.

Very well seen and photographed. Just enough shadow detail to draw the eye in while maintaining a pleasing contrast.
Thank you Andy

It sure is, David. And this photo is perfect. Perfect!
Thanks Harry.

My grandchild gets a magazine that has lots of puzzles and picture games. A recurring theme is "how many triangles do you find?" Technically the answer for your picture would be zero, but that's where it took my mind. I LOVE the geometry and the chaos of this picture.
Thanks Chris - although it is not my favourite Waits song, I keep coming back to Get Behind The Mule.

Day 17: You speak about being on fire and add wood. Brilliant(-ly clever). Now run and get the fire-extinguisher!
Hahahahaha.

Eighteen.

_DSC8441.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, I found a few fire extinguishers, Roli.

Eighteen.

Well, I found a few fire extinguishers, Roli.
A fascinating photo, David. Much to see, and to examine relationships. I keep wondering about the little photo at the upper right corner of the big left-most artwork. It looks like it may have been taken of the window photo from behind and to the right of where you took this one. Perhaps at an earlier time with no second artwork. Well done.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
David David! Your images always invite me to look again and again, and each time I see something new. Great job!

Nice composition and the B&W treatment works well. Are those containers like the old milk containers we see in the US?
Thanks Paul. They are milk cans and they were photographed out the front of a cheese shop.

So many dimensions to this photograph. Nice usage of reflections to re-sculpture the foreground/background relationship.
Thanks Andy

A fascinating photo, David. Much to see, and to examine relationships. I keep wondering about the little photo at the upper right corner of the big left-most artwork. It looks like it may have been taken of the window photo from behind and to the right of where you took this one. Perhaps at an earlier time with no second artwork. Well done.
Thank you Harry.

Milk bot gathering. They seem to be chatting, when 397 passed by, helpless, arms in the air: she cannot fi d her baby!
Ha!

David David! Your images always invite me to look again and again, and each time I see something new. Great job!
Hey Phil! Thanks for popping by - a pity that you can't join in this month, and I hope that all is well with you.

Nineteen

_DSC8446.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
14, the escalator: you have managed to capture both a sense of movement (the blur) and a sense of calm (the static figures) in one shot. Clever.
15: The frenzy of feeding swans is so appropriate for a creative B&W conversion that shows what probably what must have been cold water.
16: I love the absence of scale that your perspective conveys, and also the great use of tone, especial black to convey mystery.
17. Such a contrast with previous shots--all those angular shapes and rough textures. Knowing what it is makes it seem warmer than the B&W treatment would imply.
18: Great use of layers of reflections and contrasting shapes that are somehow unified by the 3 white milk urns on the street.
19: Very clever and well shot. The absence of an obvious horizon makes this shot, as does the well-placed focus.

Nice stuff, David.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
17, good subject and wonderful capture to create a great image with excellent contrasts. I had my wood pile on my list, but never got to complete the shot before leaving for Florida, plus mine were just rounds, not splits, yours is much more interesting!

18, besides the main subjects, the reflections seal the deal on this image David. My favorite aspect of this shot.

19. Perfect composition, subtle shadows, I wish I had taken this fine image. Very unique!

Beautiful minimalist shot, David. I love how you focused just in front of the Jack, picking up the subtle fabric as a sort of "platform" for the Jack itself. And the focus was close enough and angled enough to include the nearest top ball of the Jack. Wonderful.

I may not know "jack" about photography, but that is a great shot! :)
Yes that's reduced to the max.
I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
14, the escalator: you have managed to capture both a sense of movement (the blur) and a sense of calm (the static figures) in one shot. Clever.
15: The frenzy of feeding swans is so appropriate for a creative B&W conversion that shows what probably what must have been cold water.
16: I love the absence of scale that your perspective conveys, and also the great use of tone, especial black to convey mystery.
17. Such a contrast with previous shots--all those angular shapes and rough textures. Knowing what it is makes it seem warmer than the B&W treatment would imply.
18: Great use of layers of reflections and contrasting shapes that are somehow unified by the 3 white milk urns on the street.
19: Very clever and well shot. The absence of an obvious horizon makes this shot, as does the well-placed focus.

Nice stuff, David.
17, good subject and wonderful capture to create a great image with excellent contrasts. I had my wood pile on my list, but never got to complete the shot before leaving for Florida, plus mine were just rounds, not splits, yours is much more interesting!

18, besides the main subjects, the reflections seal the deal on this image David. My favorite aspect of this shot.

19. Perfect composition, subtle shadows, I wish I had taken this fine image. Very unique!
Beautiful minimalist shot, David. I love how you focused just in front of the Jack, picking up the subtle fabric as a sort of "platform" for the Jack itself. And the focus was close enough and angled enough to include the nearest top ball of the Jack. Wonderful.
18 and `9 work in opposition so well, they could be sides of a coin. But what a coin - layered complexity vs a simple tetrahedron. Tot'ly Platonic!

Thank you all for coming by and leaving your comments. I've had a couple of busy days (yesterday tied up with the Rugby World Cup and today sorting out some things around home) so please accept my apologies for not responding to each of you individually.

Latest threads

Top Bottom