Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - Kry27 - Hardcore - Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ Nikon on Z7 - Day 31

Oh, sweet, they not only know 'aggressive'. We got innocuous visitors today:

Grazing space sheep with lambs (visiting from Proxima Shepauri)
2019 Octoberfest - Day 18

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/1.4​
Do you suppose they raise those little critters for food? Or maybe they are pets, like our dogs and cats? Much little we know about the bot culture!

If there's one thing Leica glass can do well, it is to make smooth OOF backgrounds. You've used it to great advantage here. At this working distance, shooting wide open is the right choice.
Yes it does that well - but it also does when stopped down. Many of my shots so far ar stopped down - f/2.8 is just so much sharper, without hurting OOF rendering too much. 9 blades help.

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
If I had half of your creativity I'd be a very happy person

Grin@me: The red/orange circles on steel grey makes for a most dramatic image. The bright glare from lower left distracts, but the overall mystery is intact.
Fat white Moby: the whale needs to see a dentist and get those teeth cleaned. The light fall-off on the top half is very well done.
A well lit and smart of elephant. There is always a reason why we collect such items!
Grazing space: this really shows of the lens' abilities very well, and I do like the color rendering given that none of the items is saturated.

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.
If I had half of your creativity I'd be a very happy person
Thank you for catching up and your comment on creativity, you're too kind :)
Grin@me: The red/orange circles on steel grey makes for a most dramatic image. The bright glare from lower left distracts, but the overall mystery is intact.
Yes, you're right, now I look at it with that aspect in mind. No chance to get rid of the traffic coming towards us, and this was by far the best I got.
Fat white Moby: the whale needs to see a dentist and get those teeth cleaned. The light fall-off on the top half is very well done.
We have way more Duplo that are yellow, than white ;) Not sure I could build it in white. The fall-off is natural if you flip it vertically ;)
A well lit and smart of elephant. There is always a reason why we collect such items!
Hehe, I'm not sure it would fit our style. But somewhere in the garden, at least there'd be enough room for an elephant statue.
Grazing space: this really shows of the lens' abilities very well, and I do like the color rendering given that none of the items is saturated.
Yes you're right again - most things are quite colorful, but not rendered over-saturated. I took care of the exposure by dialing in a negative correction, at base ISO, to keep it safe.

I ducked down in the lawn, but maybe it spotted me anyway. Its eyes zoom from 28mm to 70mm, so it should be able to see me :)

Explorating ground beetle
2019 Octoberfest - Day 19

OF_2019_19.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/2.8

And by the way, this is what I've been speaking of, telling you what I like about this lens: For 2.8, the background is very pleasingly rendered, considering it is quite busy with the leaves, and the vertical wooden wall in the back. And it's very sharp where in focus. Opening up to 2.0 or further would improve the background, render it really differently, dreamy, from maybe 2.5, sure 2.0 and wider. But you'd lose much sharpness, compared to the different lens character from 2.8 on.

Another cool shot. I like the focus selection and low angle of the shot.
19: love the low angle too. Reminds of the spies from Mad Magazine.
Thank you Gentlemen. I tried different approaches, and only at the very end found out I had to get low! It paid off! Focus was natural, it has to be the eyes, not? Aperture info I added in the post, after finding the angle, that was about the only real decision left to be made. And here, f/1.4 really did not look good, as the two Nikkors were blurred no matter how good I tried to focus.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Ah, so nice to relax with your theme after a hard long drive, 18, just a wonderful image, unique composing of the subject and bits, order and chaos at the same time. Beautiful mix of colors. Bam! Bravo.

19, love the ultra low yard shot of the spy outside, have to keep a careful watch for them everywhere. And 2.8 was an apt choice.

Roland your Day 19 is a lovely shot. And you are right .... the lens does a masterful job of it. I'm not sure whether you could be seen or not, given that you were so low in the grass. But stay cautious.

Real Name
Chris
It sure looks to me that you've been spotted!

Playing depth of field versus bokey is tricky business. Leica glass doesn't guarantee anything. You need a masterful artist in control of it all to achieve the quality you have been bringing to your super-creative images. I'm so glad to see the product of your work, THANKS! It's inspiring (literally.)

Real Name
Chris
Ha! I missed the sheep. They do look so innocent, almost toy like. I'd watch out though, looks can be deceptive.

The colors on that picture are extraordinary, more evidence that you are not in our universe.

Ah, so nice to relax with your theme after a hard long drive, 18, just a wonderful image, unique composing of the subject and bits, order and chaos at the same time. Beautiful mix of colors. Bam! Bravo.

19, love the ultra low yard shot of the spy outside, have to keep a careful watch for them everywhere. And 2.8 was an apt choice.
Hehe, I'm on the same level as a good scotch, an armchair, a fire burning… to relax after a long drive ;) thank you!

19: Indeed, careful! They're everywhere, yes, and: very fast, that's even worse ;)

Roland your Day 19 is a lovely shot. And you are right .... the lens does a masterful job of it. I'm not sure whether you could be seen or not, given that you were so low in the grass. But stay cautious.
He might have got me, yes. Especially if set at 28mm ;)
Wonderful to see new characters entering your storyline and of course they have been well photographed. The sheep are definitely a captive food source. Who doesn't like lamb?
Me! I never eat lamb, and don't like cheese made from sheep milk either...
I like to look at them, and that's it. They're save in our living room :D

It sure looks to me that you've been spotted!

Playing depth of field versus bokey is tricky business. Leica glass doesn't guarantee anything. You need a masterful artist in control of it all to achieve the quality you have been bringing to your super-creative images. I'm so glad to see the product of your work, THANKS! It's inspiring (literally.)
Too kind, Chris. The glass doesn't need to guarantee - it's important not to get in one's way ;) And this one sure does what it has to do.
Glad you like the whole thread.
Ha! I missed the sheep. They do look so innocent, almost toy like. I'd watch out though, looks can be deceptive.

The colors on that picture are extraordinary, more evidence that you are not in our universe.
;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom