Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - NEF Said - Hardcore - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f1.4G - October 23rd

Appreciate the shadows created by the strong side light and also the diagonal lines created by the light and handkerchief. Big pop of color!
Very nice Paul.
Thanks, I was trying to use the light from the window to give a little more interest. Granted the sun kept popping in and out and I had to keep coming back to see if I could get a shot with enough light.

I'm glad I don't do laundry, as I would have ended up with pink socks and underwear, with this added in. :)

Hiya, yankee neighbor. Good to do Octoberfest with you again! And thanks for your visits to my sight already .... sorry I am late getting started with yours. Some comments on your first four:

Day 1 - Nicely isolated red branch .... good, vivid color. Off to a good start on your theme? Every time I see this phenomenon, I wonder: why? Why one clump? Other than damage from roadside chemicals I see no clear explanation.

Day 2 - Love the natural window light on what certainly must have been a delicious breakfast.

Day 3 - My first thought was the same as Rolands .... were these the natural colors, or was it Nikon Red. I've seen some of these multi-colors over the years, but relatively few. Your f/1.6 setting does a good job of isolation, and yet still retains adequate focus on the blossom, at least at this size 'print'.

Day 4 - Sounds like you had a Jolly Good Time. The lighting on the kerchief is striking in its narrow directionality .... immediately draws the eye. The red-on-black is the cake ... the lighting is the icing. Well conceived.

See you around for the next month.

Hiya, yankee neighbor. Good to do Octoberfest with you again! And thanks for your visits to my sight already .... sorry I am late getting started with yours. Some comments on your first four:

Day 1 - Nicely isolated red branch .... good, vivid color. Off to a good start on your theme? Every time I see this phenomenon, I wonder: why? Why one clump? Other than damage from roadside chemicals I see no clear explanation.

Day 2 - Love the natural window light on what certainly must have been a delicious breakfast.

Day 3 - My first thought was the same as Rolands .... were these the natural colors, or was it Nikon Red. I've seen some of these multi-colors over the years, but relatively few. Your f/1.6 setting does a good job of isolation, and yet still retains adequate focus on the blossom, at least at this size 'print'.

Day 4 - Sounds like you had a Jolly Good Time. The lighting on the kerchief is striking in its narrow directionality .... immediately draws the eye. The red-on-black is the cake ... the lighting is the icing. Well conceived.

See you around for the next month.
Thanks for the comments Harry!

Day 5: Fast and Furious
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We had our last Advanced Driving Skills school of the year, and I was able to grab a shot of one of the other instructors on the skid pad. I can't get too close with the 50mm for safety purposes. The horizon is a bit misleading as this is on a slight incline and a larger incline is off to the right in the background.

It was a fun day, although very cold in the morning (36 degrees). It warmed up to mid 60s later in the day.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Day 5: Fast and Furious
View attachment 1647443
We had our last Advanced Driving Skills school of the year, and I was able to grab a shot of one of the other instructors on the skid pad. I can't get too close with the 50mm for safety purposes. The horizon is a bit misleading as this is on a slight incline and a larger incline is off to the right in the background.

It was a fun day, although very cold in the morning (36 degrees). It warmed up to mid 60s later in the day.
Nice interesting shot and story.

Well hello Mr Motorsport!

I was wondering how long we would have to wait before you showed some more of your passion for speed, Paul. Good job in capturing the action and being able to portray the movement in one still frame.

Real Name
Chris
Day 3: Beauty and the Beast...
View attachment 1647272
Like the story, where each day a petal falls off of the rose for the Beast, these two flowers have been hanging in there long after all the others have wilted and died. Though, with temps in the 40's (F), I can't imagine them lasting much longer.
It does look like those flowers put up a good fight. They're all bloody! All I can say about day 4 is Arrrr.

Day 5, looks plenty fast, but why you mad bro? ;)

(Cold in the morning then warming up to 60? I'm jelly! Gonna be 95 today. I'm getting kinda tired of endless summer already!)

Aw, c'mon. I want to see him correcting for oversteer and then sliding sideways toward you!;) Good, vivid shot. Color it is!
Well, there was one shot, where a student was oversteering (and losing it). Unfortunately his car was a bland color, so I didn't use it. :)

Is this a panning shot? Very nicely executed!
Just barely, I made sure he was coming towards me (sideways), so there wasn't much panning to do. Unlike the high performance driving schools, where they are going much faster, these events are pretty low speed. I'll be going this Friday to one of the high performance schools, so I'll be doing lots of panning. Will see if I can do something with the 50mm (most shots I'm using the 70-200mm (maybe with 1.5 teleconverter).

Well hello Mr Motorsport!

I was wondering how long we would have to wait before you showed some more of your passion for speed, Paul. Good job in capturing the action and being able to portray the movement in one still frame.
Thanks! More to come this Friday (maybe posted Sunday, when I get back home).

It does look like those flowers put up a good fight. They're all bloody! All I can say about day 4 is Arrrr.

Day 5, looks plenty fast, but why you mad bro? ;)

(Cold in the morning then warming up to 60? I'm jelly! Gonna be 95 today. I'm getting kinda tired of endless summer already!)
You had me grinning about the flowers.

One of my other passions is movies. I decided to see if I could think of movie titles related to some of the pictures (just decided to do that on day 3 - I guess I could have said "Breakfast Club" for day two). The Fast and Furious movies come to mind, especially because of the exotic cars. I guess I could have titled it "Gone in 60 Seconds". :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom