Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - NEF Said - Hardcore - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f1.4G - October 31th

The encased flag is such a powerful reminder of a person's patriotism. Coupled with your mom's handiwork, this is a brilliant tribute to your parents and wonderful image.
Thanks! The sentimental value of the flag is enormous, reminding us of both his service to the country, and his life with all its hardships, joys and memories.

Day 23: Cleaners
okt2019-23-5121.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Many products use colorful packaging, but none more so that cleaning products from what I see.

There are several movies that I have, where they make reference to "cleaners", although this one (I don't own it), makes it central to the theme. I suspect their ingredients are a bit harsher. :)

Is that you, Winston Wolf?

Nice work, Paul!
Had to look up the reference as I've only seen Pulp Fiction once. There are soo many movies mentioning or showing "cleaners". I was thinking of "Three Days of the Condor", but chose "Cleaners" as it was much more explicit about the subject.

Day 24: The Onion Movie

We tend to stock a lot of foods at home. In addition to canned goods, and a full size freezer, in the basement, we have buckets with root vegetables. This one has potatos, onions, red kuri squash, butternut squash. There are others with apples, pears, other squashes, etc.

I couldn't think of a movie that I have, which would match the picture, but remember one I saw a long time ago.

Real Name
Chris
Sands of Iwo Jima is a very touching picture. The color and composition is perfect Paul.

The conglomeration in Colors has a very architectural feel to it. And that reminds me - I said I'd clean the stove today. :(

Heh. Looks like a pumpkin is having an identity crisis! :eek:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Paul, two similar yet different images, Cleaners and Onion, both great with a pop of variety and color. Very nice. Have you ever seen a cute nice movie called Sunshine Cleaning? Worth your time. That came to my mind instead of the iconic Tarantino film.

23: Yes, why are cleaner bottles so colorful? Maybe to make them standout in the dark under-sink environment in which they live? Or to dominate on the store shelf? :rolleyes:
24: "Babette Feast" or "Ratatouille" come to mind. The blue makes the shot.

Sands of Iwo Jima is a very touching picture. The color and composition is perfect Paul.

The conglomeration in Colors has a very architectural feel to it. And that reminds me - I said I'd clean the stove today. :(

Heh. Looks like a pumpkin is having an identity crisis! :eek:
Thanks! The bright orange object is the red kuri squash (I had to ask my wife).

Paul, two similar yet different images, Cleaners and Onion, both great with a pop of variety and color. Very nice. Have you ever seen a cute nice movie called Sunshine Cleaning? Worth your time. That came to my mind instead of the iconic Tarantino film.
I have not seen it. Will have to look around for it.

23: Yes, why are cleaner bottles so colorful? Maybe to make them standout in the dark under-sink environment in which they live? Or to dominate on the store shelf? :rolleyes:
24: "Babette Feast" or "Ratatouille" come to mind. The blue makes the shot.
Ah yes! Ratatouille! That's a movie I have too. Didn't think of it. Thanks!

It's funny that there is this mix of unusually colors and shapes in these baskets, of which I walk by almost every day and don't even notice.

Day 24: The Onion MovieView attachment 1648698
We tend to stock a lot of foods at home. In addition to canned goods, and a full size freezer, in the basement, we have buckets with root vegetables. This one has potatos, onions, red kuri squash, butternut squash. There are others with apples, pears, other squashes, etc.

I couldn't think of a movie that I have, which would match the picture, but remember one I saw a long time ago.
Add some braised beef, a few potatoes, and you have a delicious veggie-heavy Fall stew. I'm sure from what I've seen you or your wife could put it together with no sweat.

As to the picture itself, very nicely composed but IMO could use a touch more DOF so that the onion on top has more definition.

Real Name
Andy
Day 24: The Onion Movie
This image is a nice blend of contrasting colors. As such, it might have been interesting just to shoot it wide open so that only the closest objects were in focus, blurring everything else into colorful background bokeh, which might eliminate some of the distraction of the vertical lines in the container and the red mesh bag.

Add some braised beef, a few potatoes, and you have a delicious veggie-heavy Fall stew. I'm sure from what I've seen you or your wife could put it together with no sweat.

As to the picture itself, very nicely composed but IMO could use a touch more DOF so that the onion on top has more definition.
Yeah, I was at f7.1 and only about two feet away...should have tried some shots with the ISO higher. I would have liked more detail on the onion too.

This image is a nice blend of contrasting colors. As such, it might have been interesting just to shoot it wide open so that only the closest objects were in focus, blurring everything else into colorful background bokeh, which might eliminate some of the distraction of the vertical lines in the container and the red mesh bag.
Good point! I was standing on a paint can, to be at the same level, and had tried a few with wider DoF, but was not getting great results (didn't go down to 1.4). I probably needed to experiment more and use a step stool, so I could stabilize better. I appreciate the suggestion.

Day 25: Fifth Element

Quick shot, before work, this morning. Couldn't get the lighting as well as I wanted (lamp was way across the room), with the time I had. Would have liked to get the label and the brass topper brighter. Maybe I could have used a flashlight, or tried stacking with different levels of brightness? I've not really played much at all with shots with the background black, and I was short on time. :(

At least I got the color!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom