Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - NEF Said - Hardcore - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f1.4G - October 31th

Real Name
Chris
Wow. Red in all it's glory and variations. We call it orange, pink, burgundy, even brown in many shades, but it's all red! It's the most powerful color in the spectrum. This picture nails it, all of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like your choice to blur both foreground and background here. Although your stated reason was to mitigate distractions from the background, iI find it very aesthetically pleasing to have the focal plane on a single stem.

A very nice blend of mostly one color, varying textures and just the right amount of reflection.
Thanks! I wanted to emphasis the stem. Glad it came across well.

Yeah, it almost looked like ice, when I first viewed. It was cold enough of a day (42 degrees), and felt like it could have been ice.

Wow. Red in all it's glory and variations. We call it orange, pink, burgundy, even brown in many shades, but it's all red! It's the most powerful color in the spectrum. This picture nails it, all of it!
Than you!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Paul, understand about certain days making it tough to shoot, and I think your subject selection was a great choice. I did the same one day with my fencing material, it has to happen once in a while.

Paul, understand about certain days making it tough to shoot, and I think your subject selection was a great choice. I did the same one day with my fencing material, it has to happen once in a while.
Appreciate the kind words. I was disappointed, as the weekends is where I have more time available. Been super busy at work today, so I'm going to be challenged to get something today (or, in this case, tonight)...

Day 28: Yellow Submarine
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

About a half mile from where I live, is a school bus depot, where they dispatch the buses for various little towns and do maintenance on the buses. There is a large "hanger" there, and probably 20-30 full size buses.

When I was a kid, whenever we rode on a bus for a school trip or sporting event, we'd inevitably end up singing that song.

Very clever. Yeah, school busses haven't changed in decades, or more!
It is even clean with reflections, a rarity!
Looks shinier than any school buses around here, or any that I rode on as a kid. I hope your property taxes don't "reflect" that differential!
Thanks Nick, Wade, and Andy. The buses are quite old, but well maintained. This depot serves several towns, including ours, and is reasonably centrally located for the towns.

Real Name
Chris
There's not much in this world as scary as a school bus, that's for sure! They make them yellow so you can see it a mile away, and feign illness before it's too late.

Nice shot, and a great movie. My favorite of all the Beatles movies.

Not only a deep yellow, but on these, they applied a bright yellow reflective strip along the length of the side (right below the black strip).

Day 29: Superman

Straight out at work today (still at it), so had to use one of my safety subjects. This is the name of one of my cars, as it is Estoril blue metallic and the interior is Coral Red, and it is quite muscular, so I named it Superman. My other car is named Hellboy, a long story... :)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Day 29: Superman
View attachment 1649099
Straight out at work today (still at it), so had to use one of my safety subjects. This is the name of one of my cars, as it is Estoril blue metallic and the interior is Coral Red, and it is quite muscular, so I named it Superman. My other car is named Hellboy, a long story... :)
I look forward to the Hellboy story someday. Great subject.

Last edited:
Day 30: The Majestic

A mural on the side of the old Rex Theater in Manchester NH.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom