Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - NEF Said - Hardcore - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f1.4G - October 31th

Real Name
Chris
Superman: Back when I was a kid, they promised us flying cars. I'm glad to see that you got yours! Great , clean lines on this one too.

The Majestic: I only say that movie a month or so ago. Your photograph is wonderful and thoughtful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bold and colorful--that is a a fine mural. Love the inclusion of the foreground hedge.
Thanks. I didn’t have much maneuverability there, with concrete ramps and walls. Really needed my 16-35mm, but made do.

All of your images of the mural are quite good. I especially like the last one in the bucket, of the mural on the telephone booth. That one reminds me of similar artwork I saw in Fort Collins, CO.
Thanks Andy!

You continued so well sticking to the colourful theme!
Day 21: A Quiet Place
View attachment 1648552
This is the view I have to put up with each week day when I'm working. It's just terrible... :)

I had a tough time picking a title from the movies that I have, for this shot. Although the title conveys the view I see, the movie does not... Of course "A View to a Kill" wouldn't have been much better. :)
I like these simple, yet strong images, always have!
Day 23: Cleaners
View attachment 1648634
Many products use colorful packaging, but none more so that cleaning products from what I see.

There are several movies that I have, where they make reference to "cleaners", although this one (I don't own it), makes it central to the theme. I suspect their ingredients are a bit harsher. :)
Fighting for attention, dressed for success... Look the same all around the world, just nanes change. We have of course similar closets...
Day 24: The Onion MovieView attachment 1648698
We tend to stock a lot of foods at home. In addition to canned goods, and a full size freezer, in the basement, we have buckets with root vegetables. This one has potatos, onions, red kuri squash, butternut squash. There are others with apples, pears, other squashes, etc.

I couldn't think of a movie that I have, which would match the picture, but remember one I saw a long time ago.
You store a lot because you eat a lot. Which is a healthy thing to do :)
Day 25: Fifth Element
View attachment 1648756
Quick shot, before work, this morning. Couldn't get the lighting as well as I wanted (lamp was way across the room), with the time I had. Would have liked to get the label and the brass topper brighter. Maybe I could have used a flashlight, or tried stacking with different levels of brightness? I've not really played much at all with shots with the background black, and I was short on time. :(

At least I got the color!
This time, the name stays - we have yankee candles here too :)
I suppose these sme.. stink the same all around the world, not?

Day 26: Halloween
View attachment 1648837
Stopped at the local Agway to get dog food (Charley is eating very well, since he has been on Prednisone), and there were not too many pumpkins left, and some were starting to go bad, so I grabbed a quick shot before going into the store.

I have to open this up wide, as the background was very distracting. Probably could have stopped a bit more. One can see the limitations of the glass with the fringing.

Will put a few more in the bucket.
Not too bad a choice of DOF /me thinks. I kike the stems also!
Day 27: The Hunt For Red October
View attachment 1648918

The steps on our front porch. I didn't dare go out.

The title fits my theme on three points.

First, the obvious, the bricks are red. :)

Second, my planned shot for the day was to take pictures of trick-or-treaters (our town celebrates on the Sunday before or on Halloween). Unfortunately, I was on duty to hand out candy, so it was hard to try to grab a shot in that process, making this a very elusive exercise. The weather was cold an rainy, so we didn't get very many visitors either, and all were hiding under umbrellas.

And third, it was raining so hard at times, I was thinking this may end up being an underwater shot for the day. :)
Wall, floor, who cares - you can have any colour as long as it is red! Title and underwater ... Got that right! Lovely.
Day 28: Yellow Submarine
View attachment 1648994
About a half mile from where I live, is a school bus depot, where they dispatch the buses for various little towns and do maintenance on the buses. There is a large "hanger" there, and probably 20-30 full size buses.

When I was a kid, whenever we rode on a bus for a school trip or sporting event, we'd inevitably end up singing that song.
That is very American, typical school bus that is related to about every movie from the US. These yellow things are so characteristic. I had to ROFL about Chris' comment on why they are yellow...
Day 29: Superman
View attachment 1649099
Straight out at work today (still at it), so had to use one of my safety subjects. This is the name of one of my cars, as it is Estoril blue metallic and the interior is Coral Red, and it is quite muscular, so I named it Superman. My other car is named Hellboy, a long story... :)
And that is so German. So... car business. A woman thinks abricot, mauve, eggplant... are colours. A man can see and hardly distinguish Red, Blue, Yellow, some also Green and Orange. And that's it.
But why are cars, men's toys, sold in such colour variants? :)
BTW, where's the pkug to top it up? ;)
Day 30: The Majestic
View attachment 1649126
A mural on the side of the old Rex Theater in Manchester NH.
There's a movie (film) in the picture named after a movie! (y)

Superman: Back when I was a kid, they promised us flying cars. I'm glad to see that you got yours! Great , clean lines on this one too.

The Majestic: I only say that movie a month or so ago. Your photograph is wonderful and thoughtful.
Thanks Chris!

You continued so well sticking to the colourful theme!
I like these simple, yet strong images, always have!
Fighting for attention, dressed for success... Look the same all around the world, just nanes change. We have of course similar closets...
You store a lot because you eat a lot. Which is a healthy thing to do :)
This time, the name stays - we have yankee candles here too :)
I suppose these sme.. stink the same all around the world, not?
Thanks Roland. Yeah, the candles can stink up a room. We usually only light them for a short time (like when cooking fish :) ), and have it in a large area.

Day 31: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This this Oktoberfest winds down, most of our leaves are down, or have turned brown. There are a few, that are up for one more crusade into the night, braving the cold temperatures, heavy rain we are having, and the winds.

It was a tough, but rewarding challenge this month, and I enjoyed the challenge, comments and critiques, and view other peoples' work. Now I can rest until 2020!

31: What a very apt shot and well titled! Yes, it has been a great month. Only 11 months until we can do this again! Thanks for all your encouragement and the variety of images you shared--all around a great theme.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
View attachment 1649206
This this Oktoberfest winds down, most of our leaves are down, or have turned brown. There are a few, that are up for one more crusade into the night, braving the cold temperatures, heavy rain we are having, and the winds.

It was a tough, but rewarding challenge this month, and I enjoyed the challenge, comments and critiques, and view other peoples' work. Now I can rest until 2020!
Yes Paul, enjoyed your images very very much, last one a beautiful shot and title.

31: What a very apt shot and well titled! Yes, it has been a great month. Only 11 months until we can do this again! Thanks for all your encouragement and the variety of images you shared--all around a great theme.
Thanks Nick!

Yes Paul, enjoyed your images very very much, last one a beautiful shot and title.
Thank you Wade! I wanted to finish with some great shots, but the weather hasn't been cooperating all week, and I've been working 12-14 hrs a day. :(

View attachment 1649206

I hope you don't rest completely. Otherwise... if you do, we expect such a refreshed Paul for OF 2020 he has to deliver stunner after stunner ;)
But then, you did so already.

With Indiana Jones fitting in perfectly. Despite working too long, the effort to photography, though shorter, still paid off! That is the time of the day to do what you like, time for you...

Real Name
Chris
Good to see that a few leaves held in there for you Paul. I have so enjoyed the journey through your thread you have lead us on. Each image brought new wonders, AND a movie to boot! ;)

Well shot all the way around, thank you for playing this year!

A very fitting title and a fantastic image to accompany it. Paul, you have assembled a memorable body of work this month. It's been a pleasure following your journey.
Thanks Andy! I've enjoyed your work and comments!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom