Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - NEF Said - Hardcore - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f1.4G - October 31th

Heh, yeah. Our pups have Kong toys too. They last a long time. Charlie looks like he chillin' with his nicely.
Yeah. He loves that toy, especially because he has us conditioned. He grabs it after dinner time, when we are watching TV, and walks up to us squeaking it. To get him to stop squeaking, we have to pet him (his main objective), of which he'll then drop the Kong. When we stop petting, he'll pick it up again, go to the next person and rinse-repeat. That little bugger...

Charley looks tired from playing with Kong Wubba...
He's really slowed down a lot, since having an ear infection. He spends a lot of time sleeping during the day, sometimes guarding his Kong from all those dogs coming out of the TV. :)

Day 16: Rear Window
okt2019-16-5040.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Front window shot take from about a third of the way up the stairs, so slightly off center. Figured I'd take it now, even though the oak tree hasn't changed much yet. Weather forecast calls for a Nor'Easter with high winds on Thursday, so may loose a lot of leaves. Tried PP with perspective crop, but the shape of the window looked weird.

Real Name
Chris
Actually the hint of the window frame does the picture good Paul. A frame in a frame, and a lovely Octoberry scene outside. Nice.

By the way, we are in the second half of the meme now!

Day 15: A Dog's Life
View attachment 1648180
Busy working today, so took a quick shot of Charley with one of his favorite toys, a Kong Wubba. It is a hard ball for chewing on, a larger ball with squeaky, and four "legs" for tug of war play, and for throwing to "fetch".
I like the exposure for the top of his head, not losing the highlights there. And thank you for the explanation of your positioning, I might have asked why you did not chose to frame a little bit wider, leaving a bit of space to the left. Still good the way it is, just an idea - impossible, in this situation, I now know.
View attachment 1648233
Front window shot take from about a third of the way up the stairs, so slightly off center. Figured I'd take it now, even though the oak tree hasn't changed much yet. Weather forecast calls for a Nor'Easter with high winds on Thursday, so may loose a lot of leaves. Tried PP with perspective crop, but the shape of the window looked weird.
This does NOT need perspective correction, I think. From the trees, you can clearly see it was taken while looking up - then the brain EXPECTS the window to narrow towards the top! Correcting that would look strange, as you stated. I think it's good the way it is, and I also like the amount of black, dark, on the left and right edge. A bit more space on top, maybe, to get that top ornament in. But I suppose this was not possible.
I like it, thanks for showing before the leaves drop!

I like the exposure for the top of his head, not losing the highlights there. And thank you for the explanation of your positioning, I might have asked why you did not chose to frame a little bit wider, leaving a bit of space to the left. Still good the way it is, just an idea - impossible, in this situation, I now know.

This does NOT need perspective correction, I think. From the trees, you can clearly see it was taken while looking up - then the brain EXPECTS the window to narrow towards the top! Correcting that would look strange, as you stated. I think it's good the way it is, and I also like the amount of black, dark, on the left and right edge. A bit more space on top, maybe, to get that top ornament in. But I suppose this was not possible.
I like it, thanks for showing before the leaves drop!
Thanks for the kind words Roland!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Paul, a very nice image, and I like the way there is a soft glow reflection around the frame. Strong image with good symmetry. I think your timing is pretty good.

Day 12: Million Dollar Baby...
View attachment 1648069
Not about boxing, but he's worth a million to us. I ended up with a bunch of shots to choose from that met the theme and had a hard time deciding. Granted, I took a ton of photos, because of the low lighting (didn't want to use flash) and narrow DoF (as I didn't want to drive the ISO too high), quick movement by Theo, and challenging shooting positions (see bucket).
Love the spontaneity of this shot You did well balancing all the elements.

Day 13: On Golden Pond

A bit of a stretch for the title. The golden leaves remind me of trees from the movie (which was filmed in NH, BTW). I didn't have much time today, as I was processing two days of photos, about 500 from the driving school, and another 150 from my visit with my grandson. Grabbed a quick shot from down the street.
Nice thing about New England this time of year ...... walk around the block and you've usually presented with the opportunity for a nice shot. And it is nice to remember that golden lake with Jane and Henry Fonda.

Day 14: The Graduate

My wife's bookcase in the study has a photo of her brother and his son, at high school graduation on a picture frame(?) that is like a clip board. She happened to have a cardinal that she uses as a decoration on the fireplace mantel at Christmas, and leaves it on the bookcase in the interim.

The three items gave some bold colors in the early morning.
I'd love to have this homey setup in my office space ... adding color and love to the early morning. Good capture.

Day 15: A Dog's Life

Busy working today, so took a quick shot of Charley with one of his favorite toys, a Kong Wubba. It is a hard ball for chewing on, a larger ball with squeaky, and four "legs" for tug of war play, and for throwing to "fetch".
Charley says "Well, if he's so busy working today, It's up to me to counterbalance that." Just the picture alone relaxes me.

I like it just the way you've shot it, although I can imagine how spectacular that view must be with the tree in full autumn glory. As I write this I am hearing the wind noise and heavy rain splatter against my windows, so I think your caution was well justified.

I keep hearing about a dog's life... but most pictures I see seem to capture something quite pleasant. Riddle me that?! Well done here Paul.

I find the window to be a success. Grabbing the pic before the bad weather arrives was prudent and as Chris says, leaving the frame for us is an effective way to capture the scene.

Thanks for the kind words Harry and David! I'm glad I took the shot, As it rained cats and dogs all night, with lots of wind, and is raining off and on today. I hope I can get another shot, and one of the tree outside that is behind the tree I shot. It is really bright, right now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom