Critique 2019 Oktoberfest - NEF Said - Hardcore - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f1.4G - October 31th

Well done on the flower arrangement Paul. No matter who went to the effort of obtaining them, a bunch of flowers such as those will always bring joy to the household. Likewise your picture.

Day 9: Running Man
View attachment 1647750
The shoe rack on our three season porch has all of our sneakers. My wife's are quite colorful.
If you want to challange yourself (or her), try to get running/hiking/enter_whatever_activity_or_sports_here shoes that do NOT come in funky colors ;)
After refinishing all the wood floors, because of wear from dirt tracked in on shoes, we have a renewed desired to make sure we wear slippers in the house...
Yes, that helps. What David described, we do it the same way: shoes are always taken off when entering the house. We had new wood floors installed when buying and renovating the old house about a year and a half ago, but then, they're already well used. Small children... I could as well wear shoes ;)

Real Name
Paul
Flowers are important to have around, in a home. Good wife (y)
They must only just have started dying, there's only hints of that, so far. Still made a good subject. Has the one still closed in the picture opened, or not anymore?
No, hasn’t opened. I had to position and move some of the flowers as a few are starting to go. Pulled a petal off the yellow flower.

Real Name
Paul
All...I’ll be traveling up to a driving event today to take pictures for my car club chapter (hopefully can toss on the 50mm some) and then heading up to Maine to visit my daughter and grandson (looking for bright colors with the baby). Will be back late Saturday, so will likely be posting on Sunday.

Hi Paul. Finally getting caught up with you. Sorry for the delay.

The Titanic shot really makes me happy. I love the industrial look of things when they are photographed in a way that makes them art. The color and your shot here do that. DOF chosen beautifully.

The workshop shot, as Chris says, is a masterpiece. Perfectly framed, and a beautiful shot all around. Again, DOF is perfect.

Charlie looks a bit woeful .... like how come he isn't opening that door and letting me out like he usually does? Cute shot, though.

The wife's running shoes on the wooden rack illustrate perfectly why plastic racks should be banned.

Flowers are the only shot I would take a bit of issue with .... I'd like a bit more DOF so that more of the bouquet is in focus. Pretty colors, though.

Keep up the great work!

Real Name
Paul
Hi Paul. Finally getting caught up with you. Sorry for the delay.

The Titanic shot really makes me happy. I love the industrial look of things when they are photographed in a way that makes them art. The color and your shot here do that. DOF chosen beautifully.

The workshop shot, as Chris says, is a masterpiece. Perfectly framed, and a beautiful shot all around. Again, DOF is perfect.

Charlie looks a bit woeful .... like how come he isn't opening that door and letting me out like he usually does? Cute shot, though.

The wife's running shoes on the wooden rack illustrate perfectly why plastic racks should be banned.

Flowers are the only shot I would take a bit of issue with .... I'd like a bit more DOF so that more of the bouquet is in focus. Pretty colors, though.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the kind words.

Charley had a ear infection a few months ago, surgery, then vertigo, and a prolonged healing and bandaging (making him look like a one horned bull), and lost over 10 pounds. He still has some infection and we are giving him drops in his ear daily. He's getting a little pep in his step finally, but has really slowed down a lot this year. He's 9 years old, and for a large breed dog, that's getting up there. I'm just happy that he's starting to get better.

Real Name
Paul
Day 11: Cars
hpd-pcm-4866.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Was at a club driving school on Friday, where there was lots of opportunity for shooting bold colors (will put a bunch in the bucket), especially the instructor cars, as some are club racers and have colorful and decorated cars (others are everyday production models).

I had another shot that was very colorful, but I opted for this one, as it was my first attempt in about a year to shoot really high speed shots at close distance. Most of the time, I'm shooting in the 85-200mm range, from a good distance from the cars (at flagging stations). In this case, however, I stopped on the access road where it came close to the track, climbed through a large rocky swale, and was right next to the guard rail. Extra challenging because I couldn't foot zoom, and there wasn't much visibility up track (a curve), so I didn't have much time to track these cars flying by.

Day 11: Cars
Was at a club driving school on Friday, where there was lots of opportunity for shooting bold colors (will put a bunch in the bucket), especially the instructor cars, as some are club racers and have colorful and decorated cars (others are everyday production models).

I had another shot that was very colorful, but I opted for this one, as it was my first attempt in about a year to shoot really high speed shots at close distance. Most of the time, I'm shooting in the 85-200mm range, from a good distance from the cars (at flagging stations). In this case, however, I stopped on the access road where it came close to the track, climbed through a large rocky swale, and was right next to the guard rail. Extra challenging because I couldn't foot zoom, and there wasn't much visibility up track (a curve), so I didn't have much time to track these cars flying by.
I can just imagine the difficulty as you describe it. So extra congratulations on getting such an impressively sharp high speed shot. And the color IS wonderful.

Real Name
Paul
Day 12: Million Dollar Baby...
theo-6mo-4980.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not about boxing, but he's worth a million to us. I ended up with a bunch of shots to choose from that met the theme and had a hard time deciding. Granted, I took a ton of photos, because of the low lighting (didn't want to use flash) and narrow DoF (as I didn't want to drive the ISO too high), quick movement by Theo, and challenging shooting positions (see bucket).

I imagine racing to be quite difficult to shoot, as panning isn't easy. One can see you're experienced. (y)

The next one is lovely, I'm in that boat often, myself, trying to bring home shots with the lens wide open. Can be hit and miss, can need multiple shots or continuous release, but once you hit - :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom