Critique 2020 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) Hardcore – An Extremely Old 35mm – Day 27

Real Name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
10. Northern Exposure
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NIKON Z 6 W-Nikkor 35mm f/2.5 35mm f/8 ISO100 (2 exposures, 15 minutes each, combined in StarStax)

Real Name
Andy
Very neat star trail shot. I've always had it in my mind to try it. Have you done it before?
Yes, it's a nice astrophotography "fallback" shot, which is to say it is rather easy to get a good result with even a completely unplanned and casual effort such as this one. (I happened to notice it was clear out and just set up a tripod on the back porch, squeezed off two exposures, skipped the dark frames, did a quick and dirty postprocessing of them in Lightroom, and combined them in StarStaX). I have no doubt that you could do just as well or better on your first try.

Real Name
Andy
Beautiful star trail shot. It's something I would like to try but it's difficult in the city because of light pollution.
True, but it can be done with a larger number of shorter exposures. And I'll bet you can find some interesting foreground compositions at your latitude and the HK skyline - I hope you get a chance to give it a go!

Real Name
Andy
How did the battery do on those exposures?
OEM Nikon batteries do great for long exposures. Aftermarket batteries are also fine in the Z6, with a bit shorter life in my experience. Either one can get you a couple hours of cumulative exposures.
I may give this a try on a dark clear night
You definitely should! It really is very rewarding.

Real Name
Andy
11. Barn
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom