Critique 2020 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) Hardcore – An Extremely Old 35mm – Day 31

Frog, pool, dock, theater are all great. I love the frog and pool shots. The pool especially has a magical feel about it. Sorry I got so behind on viewing your posts. The days speed by....

Real Name
Andy
Frog, pool, dock, theater are all great. I love the frog and pool shots. The pool especially has a magical feel about it. Sorry I got so behind on viewing your posts. The days speed by....
Thanks. This monthlong task is indeed challenging, both in making our own daily photographs and in viewing each of the other participants’ works. Although I have more time on my hands this year, I’m finding that it is more difficult than last year. But I have learned much and been very inspired by you and everyone else. Thanks for that also.

Thanks. This monthlong task is indeed challenging, both in making our own daily photographs and in viewing each of the other participants’ works. Although I have more time on my hands this year, I’m finding that it is more difficult than last year. But I have learned much and been very inspired by you and everyone else. Thanks for that also.
I agree.
Last year I was traveling in the Oregon wine country for a couple of weeks, and all that new and exciting country was fun to shoot. This year I, like all of you, are home. I have a routine, I have plenty to do. I'm NOT in a rut, but yet finding exciting things to shot is a challenge. Is that bad? No, I don't believe so—more challenging, and I think I am amore critical of what I do shoot. But fun all the same.
And yes, I am learning a lot this year.

Real Name
Andy
23. Moon, Saturn, Jupiter
Octoberfest_20201023_20_290056_20C_5937.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not a moment to spare during daylight hours today, but I arrived home to this front yard view of the Southern sky. Half moon (whose brightness the old W-Nikkor could not handle), Saturn (above and right of the center tree), and a very bright Jupiter (just to the left of the tree entering the frame from the right edge of frame). In this view, you can easily see how the three objects fall on the ecliptic line. Way out of the frame to the left side was Mars which had risen above the Eastern horizon, bright and ghostly red in color.

Note that in addition to making a wreck of the half moon, the W-Nikkor exhibits very noticeable comatic aberration, particularly prominent in a bright object such as Jupiter.

18. Bridge
View attachment 1672315
Yes, I realize it is out of focus. It was not intentional - I was just in too much of a hurry. By the time I recognized the error, it was too late to get anything else for the day.

Apologies for the massive catch-up postings.

15 - nice comp, love the motion.

16 - very cool shot, it's not every day I see a monochrome apple.

17 - love the comp, details.

18 - it took me a second to figure out what was different, then read your comment. I still like the image.

I'll probably say this several times this month - IMHO you are knocking out of the park with your processing. The photos themselves are wonderful, but the monochrome treatment is spot-on.

21. Dock
View attachment 1672500
Two images combined as a quickie focus stack. This lens focus breathes significantly - probably effective focal length of 40mm or so at its minimum focusing distance.

19 - seriously cool shot. :cool:

20 - love the foreboding sky.

21 - love the perspective.

22 - statement of the times? Or just caught during normal closed hours?

23. Moon, Saturn, Jupiter
View attachment 1672677
Not a moment to spare during daylight hours today, but I arrived home to this front yard view of the Southern sky. Half moon (whose brightness the old W-Nikkor could not handle), Saturn (above and right of the center tree), and a very bright Jupiter (just to the left of the tree entering the frame from the right edge of frame). In this view, you can easily see how the three objects fall on the ecliptic line. Way out of the frame to the left side was Mars which had risen above the Eastern horizon, bright and ghostly red in color.

Note that in addition to making a wreck of the half moon, the W-Nikkor exhibits very noticeable comatic aberration, particularly prominent in a bright object such as Jupiter.

Very nice. Not easy to catch all that in one exposure.

Real Name
Andy
Apologies for the massive catch-up postings.
I really appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. Thank you so much.

Regarding your question:
22 - statement of the times? Or just caught during normal closed hours?
The image was meant to capture the fact that no one has darkened the doors to enter this movie theater in quite a long time. This was in the part of Rosemont, IL where there is normally a great deal of activity from happy hour right on into the wee hours. I tried several compositions in the largely deserted area, but none conveyed the statement of the times (to borrow your phrase) the way I intended. This image came closest.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. Thank you so much

Regarding your question:

The image was meant to capture the fact that no one has darkened the doors to enter this movie theater in quite a long time. This was in the part of Rosemont, IL where there is normally a great deal of activity from happy hour right on into the wee hours. I tried several compositions in the largely deserted area, but none conveyed the statement of the times (to borrow your phrase) the way I intended. This image came closest.

Thanks. Movie houses are one industry (of too many, sadly) I'm not sure is going to come out of this well, if things continue. Even the ones here that have opened back up don't have many customers.

Real Name
Andy
24. Gator
Octoberfest_20201024_18_340715_20C_5969.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How to photograph an alligator with a 35mm:
  1. Chin up. (i.e., don't lament the fact that it is Octoberfest and there is no long lens in your bag)
  2. Be smart. (i.e., stay back the same way you would have with that telephoto lens)
  3. Make lemonade. (i.e., include the background that would not have appeared in a tighter field of view)
  4. Pray. (i.e., upload and crop massively, hoping for something usable)
Bonus: upon closer inspection, two sandhill cranes can be seen feeding within the tall grass in the background.

24. Gator
View attachment 1672740
How to photograph an alligator with a 35mm:
  1. Chin up. (i.e., don't lament the fact that it is Octoberfest and there is no long lens in your bag)
  2. Be smart. (i.e., stay back the same way you would have with that telephoto lens)
  3. Make lemonade. (i.e., include the background that would not have appeared in a tighter field of view)
  4. Pray. (i.e., upload and crop massively, hoping for something usable)
Bonus: upon closer inspection, two sandhill cranes can be seen feeding within the tall grass in the background.
I'm so glad you didn't have a longer lens because your instructions were so much fun to read!! And it is a neat photo with so much going for it.....alligator, rain, and cranes!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom