Critique 2020 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) Hardcore – An Extremely Old 35mm – Day 31

Real Name
Andy
25. Cloudburst over the Canal
Octoberfest_20201025_13_203281_20C_5988.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm calling this a canal, but it is more of a water retention area behind the ridge that forms a lock at Port Mayaca on the east shore of Lake Okeechobee. There is a true navigable canal for barges that is separated from this body of water by a thin strip of land just out of frame to the right. And Lake Okeechobee is out of frame on the other side of the ridge at left.

Photographically, I had visualized this image with the water smoothed by long exposure to reduce its texture which distracts from the reflection of the cumulus cloud. But that version of this image made the cloud itself look too blurry and didn't really improve the appearance of the reflection. I briefly considered compositing the sky from this image with the foreground from the long exposure, but did not see any real benefit to going through that effort, so I settled for this single exposure with a very heavy-handed trip through post processing. Please feel free to comment on anything you would have done differently.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
23. Moon, Saturn, Jupiter
View attachment 1672677
Not a moment to spare during daylight hours today, but I arrived home to this front yard view of the Southern sky. Half moon (whose brightness the old W-Nikkor could not handle), Saturn (above and right of the center tree), and a very bright Jupiter (just to the left of the tree entering the frame from the right edge of frame). In this view, you can easily see how the three objects fall on the ecliptic line. Way out of the frame to the left side was Mars which had risen above the Eastern horizon, bright and ghostly red in color.

Note that in addition to making a wreck of the half moon, the W-Nikkor exhibits very noticeable comatic aberration, particularly prominent in a bright object such as Jupiter.
Difficult shot and interesting to see how the lens performs. I’ve never really tried to push lenses to their limits (intentionally).

Real Name
Paul
24. Gator
View attachment 1672740
How to photograph an alligator with a 35mm:
  1. Chin up. (i.e., don't lament the fact that it is Octoberfest and there is no long lens in your bag)
  2. Be smart. (i.e., stay back the same way you would have with that telephoto lens)
  3. Make lemonade. (i.e., include the background that would not have appeared in a tighter field of view)
  4. Pray. (i.e., upload and crop massively, hoping for something usable)
Bonus: upon closer inspection, two sandhill cranes can be seen feeding within the tall grass in the background.
Wonderful shot and funny description. No waders, and up to waist deep in the water? :)

Real Name
Ken St John
View attachment 1672812
I'm calling this a canal, but it is more of a water retention area behind the ridge that forms a lock at Port Mayaca on the east shore of Lake Okeechobee. There is a true navigable canal for barges that is separated from this body of water by a thin strip of land just out of frame to the right. And Lake Okeechobee is out of frame on the other side of the ridge at left.

Photographically, I had visualized this image with the water smoothed by long exposure to reduce its texture which distracts from the reflection of the cumulus cloud. But that version of this image made the cloud itself look too blurry and didn't really improve the appearance of the reflection. I briefly considered compositing the sky from this image with the foreground from the long exposure, but did not see any real benefit to going through that effort, so I settled for this single exposure with a very heavy-handed trip through post processing. Please feel free to comment on anything you would have done differently.
Your shots continue to be really excellent. This one, in particular, is very well done, with the lines leading the eye directly to the thunderstorm in the distance.

Well done!!

Ken

Real Name
Andy
I like this very much. Very dramatic.
Interesting selection of tone. Amusing reference to Siskel and Ebert.
Difficult shot and interesting to see how the lens performs. I’ve never really tried to push lenses to their limits (intentionally).
Wonderful shot and funny description. No waders, and up to waist deep in the water? :)
Your shots continue to be really excellent. This one, in particular, is very well done, with the lines leading the eye directly to the thunderstorm in the distance.

Well done!!

Ken
Thanks, Phil, Paul, and Ken!

Real Name
Andy
26. "Every right implies a responsibility..." - John D. Rockefeller
Octoberfest_20201026_20_133203_20C_6003.jpg

I had planned a different shot for today, which did not work out at all (see the bucket). But I did exchange my ballot for this sticker and card yesterday, so today's contribution is simply this snapshot.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
27. Lady Bravedoe
Octoberfest_20201027_16_380060_20C_6091.jpg

It's not often that I would venture out for wildlife photographs using such a short focal length, but today I got quite lucky.

View attachment 1672812

Very dramatic image. Your B&W conversion works so well.
26. "Every right implies a responsibility..." - John D. Rockefeller
View attachment 1672925
I had planned a different shot for today, which did not work out at all (see the bucket). But I did exchange my ballot for this sticker and card yesterday, so today's contribution is simply this snapshot.

Good job. I voted a few days ago as well.
27. Lady Bravedoe
View attachment 1672964
It's not often that I would venture out for wildlife photographs using such a short focal length, but today I got quite lucky.
I can't believe you were able to get that shot with a 35 mm lens!

Real Name
Andy
28. Ferdinand's Masterpiece
Octoberfest_20201028_19_000209_20C_6097.jpg

Another day completely consumed with traveling, so a quick tabletop photograph of a die cast model from one of my closest friends. He was certain that I would one day buy a drivable one of these, or perhaps a 911, but in the 35 years since he made this a gift to me, it remains the only Porsche I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom