Critique 2020 Octoberfest – Gordo – 23/2, 35/2, 90/2 – 25 Oct - Out

Started. Hiking stick. Cut 60" handle down to 48", sanded off the varnish. Measured and taped lines at 1, 2 and 3 foot height and 9" above the 3 ft mark, then scribed the lines. Removed tape and cut grooves on the scribe lines.

Future work includes some wide diamond checkering in the handhold space, drilling a lanyard hole, finish sanding, either just an oil treatment or staining and then oil, fitting the base tip.

Hopefully this one will be done by the end of the month.

All work done with SAK (main blade, saw, reamer), triangle file, blue tape, sponge sanding blocks. Except drilling the lanyard hole, will use a power drill for that.

Next project will be a 58" hiking staff done the same way.

These are test projects, see if I can get a stick and staff I like, keep my hands and brain busy with something other than what has become repetitious.

Taken with the X-H1 and 35/2.
View attachment 1672737

Another nice image. Your projects are very interesting.
Looks like a very promising project. Another nice tabletop capture, too.
I love seeing the post processing of the moon in progress. The hiking stick looks like a great project!! I would love to see the finished stick!!
You can put a small ball-head on top of the hiking staff!

Thanks all!

Nick - I thought of doing a simple mount, but I already have a monopod for that. Want to keep these two basic.

Real Name
Paul

Started. Hiking stick. Cut 60" handle down to 48", sanded off the varnish. Measured and taped lines at 1, 2 and 3 foot height and 9" above the 3 ft mark, then scribed the lines. Removed tape and cut grooves on the scribe lines.

Future work includes some wide diamond checkering in the handhold space, drilling a lanyard hole, finish sanding, either just an oil treatment or staining and then oil, fitting the base tip.

Hopefully this one will be done by the end of the month.

All work done with SAK (main blade, saw, reamer), triangle file, blue tape, sponge sanding blocks. Except drilling the lanyard hole, will use a power drill for that.

Next project will be a 58" hiking staff done the same way.

These are test projects, see if I can get a stick and staff I like, keep my hands and brain busy with something other than what has become repetitious.

Taken with the X-H1 and 35/2.
View attachment 1672737
Sounds like a great project, and good idea to practice so that when you find that perfect wood, you’ll know exactly how you want to do it.

Very clean desktop shot of your moon image. Good luck with the project. Keep us posted on your progress. I would like to see the end result.
Sounds like a great project, and good idea to practice so that when you find that perfect wood, you’ll know exactly how you want to do it.

Thanks. Probably will stick with simple mods on handles - inexpensive and mostly straight.

Oops.

:banghead:

Dexterity isn't what it used to be, especially working without a workbench and clamps. So, plan for this one is to find my flat files and remove the wood in the grip area down to the level of the grooving I was working, and do a simple paracord wrap. The hiking staff hand grip area will be a series of grooves around the staff at about 1" apart. If I can't find the files quickly I'll start on the staff and see if I can get it done (or mostly) by the end of the month. X-H1, 35/2.
View attachment 1672867

Real Name
Paul

Oops.

:banghead:

Dexterity isn't what it used to be, especially working without a workbench and clamps. So, plan for this one is to find my flat files and remove the wood in the grip area down to the level of the grooving I was working, and do a simple paracord wrap. The hiking staff hand grip area will be a series of grooves around the staff at about 1" apart. If I can't find the files quickly I'll start on the staff and see if I can get it done (or mostly) by the end of the month. X-H1, 35/2.
View attachment 1672867
Nice shot. Will be interesting to see how you recover from the mistake. I'll sure it'll come out great.

Real Name
Ken St John
The image of the moon is other-worldly!! Also loving the work you're doing on your walking stick. Having started some wood projects myself, I'm very impressed with your progress. Well done, all around!!

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom