Critique 2020 Octoberfest – Gordo – 23/2, 35/2, 90/2 – 25 Oct - Out

Another grab shot. The new small LED flashlight with the new signal strobe, and a AA cell for size comparison. The new strobe replaces the old heavy D-cell strobe. I can carry both these lights and 2 spare batteries in the same space and it weighs about the same as the D strobe. So, a little less light and duration for a significant reduction in total carry weight.

View attachment 1672183

Last edited:

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
15, 16 - Nice comparison. The new LED flashlights are really much lighter and better.

Not able to sleep, nothing on TV, so threw some stuff under the light.

Speaking of tech... sometimes old school is best school. Over the last year I've switched back to metal for some things, such as pens and flashlights.

I found that I was sending more stuff to the landfill using the new wonder plastics. In addition to batteries, sometimes the small button-cell lights on my key-chain would have issues with the screws corroding and I'd have to replace the light instead of just the battery. The battery recyclers wouldn't take the batteries still stuck in the light. And many locations I've lived have restrictions/ limits on the type plastics they take for recycle programs.

So... metal for pens and flashlights from now on, using the same refills and batteries wherever possible. Some of the items are brass. I like brass, feels nice in the hand and acquires a nice patina with time and use. The pen has been with me a years now, and has a nice patina. Uses the same refill as my Space Pens. The rubber o-rings are new, they make a big difference when writing (for me anyways). The AAA flashlight is brand new and shiny. Will go on my key-chain to replace the old corroded microlight.

View attachment 1672190

Real Name
Paul

Not able to sleep, nothing on TV, so threw some stuff under the light.

Speaking of tech... sometimes old school is best school. Over the last year I've switched back to metal for some things, such as pens and flashlights.

I found that I was sending more stuff to the landfill using the new wonder plastics. In addition to batteries, sometimes the small button-cell lights on my key-chain would have issues with the screws corroding and I'd have to replace the light instead of just the battery. The battery recyclers wouldn't take the batteries still stuck in the light. And many locations I've lived have restrictions/ limits on the type plastics they take for recycle programs.

So... metal for pens and flashlights from now on, using the same refills and batteries wherever possible. Some of the items are brass. I like brass, feels nice in the hand and acquires a nice patina with time and use. The pen has been with me a years now, and has a nice patina. Uses the same refill as my Space Pens. The rubber o-rings are new, they make a big difference when writing (for me anyways). The AAA flashlight is brand new and shiny. Will go on my key-chain to replace the old corroded microlight.

View attachment 1672190
Very nice shots. Agree on the old school stuff. We have new plastic pens and they don’t last very long either, so contributing more waste more frequently.

I’ve been using a straight razor for years, and much prefer over disposables and electric shavers.

Thanks all.

Had a couple of rough days. Snapped some shots, except for the 20th, fell asleep before getting a shot and didn't wake up until after midnight.

Amazing what a wee little bit of color can do.
Love the metal - - I'm rapidly losing faith in plastics, again.

The trip planning we all seem to be doing in these days of Covid, so remind me of the old, old days, when we studied and memorized all the adds (small print and all) in the back of Popular Photography, Modern Photography, etc., creating or dream kit on non existent budgets! Oh what fun! What fun!

Amazing what a wee little bit of color can do.
Love the metal - - I'm rapidly losing faith in plastics, again.

The trip planning we all seem to be doing in these days of Covid, so remind me of the old, old days, when we studied and memorized all the adds (small print and all) in the back of Popular Photography, Modern Photography, etc., creating or dream kit on non existent budgets! Oh what fun! What fun!

Thanks Nick. Plastics have their place, but IMHO there is still too much that doesn't make its way into the landfills recycling. And metal just feels right, to me anyways.

Agree, the splash of color adds to the moon shot nicely!

Thanks Paul, and yup, hint of color is refreshing.

18 - It's a nice capture.
19, 21 - Agree. Simple but very nice.

Phil - thank you!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom