Critique 2020 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor S 50 f/1.8 – 26-27 October—THANKS!.

24 October

Well the snow came, only about 3" at best, but wet and heavy. We lost power for about an hour last night (and again this morning) but I went out and shot in the dark. These are converted from NEF, but only DXX lens sharpness was modified in the conversion. NO color, light ,exposure etc., or WB changes at all!

1. No lights on for miles. There were emergency street lights on on the University campus about 1.5 miles away, that were reflecting off the low overcast and snow.
BlackOut013.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. With passing cars, a bit more light and detail.

BlackOut021.jpg

Moral of the story—The Z7/50 f/1.8 are great in the dark!

Real Name
Paul
24 October

Well the snow came, only about 3" at best, but wet and heavy. We lost power for about an hour last night (and again this morning) but I went out and shot in the dark. These are converted from NEF, but only DXX lens sharpness was modified in the conversion. NO color, light ,exposure etc., or WB changes at all!

1. No lights on for miles. There were emergency street lights on on the University campus about 1.5 miles away, that were reflecting off the low overcast and snow.
View attachment 1672711

View attachment 1672712

Indeed! You did well with the lens! The second shot is my favorite.

14-15 October

Somehow yesterday slipped by me unnoticed.

Inspired by the fall colors and seasonal changes that many of you have recorded, here are some of what is keeping me excited.

1. Ivy that has decided it is time to grow! (I have clippers that will put an end to that!)

View attachment 1672098

2. Bye-bye Ivy . . ,

View attachment 1672099

3. Viburnum in its fall majesty—I love how the paler leaf in the middle stands out.

View attachment 1672100

4. Viburnum is a study in peachy-red and green.

View attachment 1672101
16 October

Uniform grey skies today—perfect mid tine, but boring.

So in keeping with the observation that Terri and I made, and with inspiration from Andy, here is

1. A study in red—first pomegranate of the season!

View attachment 1672144
17 October

Just posted a similar shot (in color) in the new CS-Autumn weather, so I figured a B&W conversion would be a good challenge, because of all the important colors and textures. In-camera about a stop or so underexposed. Neutral colors as a DXO preset. Slight push in vibrance, then off to SilverEfx. Ominous Fade with a green filter worked best for my taste and mood.

View attachment 1672208

Apologies, late catch-up mega posting.

14-15 - love the colors, nice comps especially the first Ivy shot.

16 - cool pomegranate shot.

17 - moody, I like it.

18-20 OCTOBER

Apologies, I'm falling behind, again.

1. Someone forgot to tell the dandelions that it's fall (and winter weather will be here on Friday!)

A.
View attachment 1672433

B.
View attachment 1672434

2. Meeting of the fall(en)

View attachment 1672435
21 October

It's all about the weather today. Change of seasons, wind and rain from the north, getting set up for Friday's "winter" storm and cold. The light does wonders for the wheat stubble.

View attachment 1672486
23 October

Another day spent waiting for "winter" to arrive. Not as windy, but just as gloomy.

View attachment 1672579

18-20 - dandelions are hardy weeds (in days long past we had the greens as supplemental leafy veggies for dinner), nice splash of color on the pavers.

21 & 23 - love the mood conveyed here, it feels cool and damp.

24 October

View attachment 1672711

View attachment 1672712

More white stuff! :eek: J/K Nice low light work. Love the small amount of added light and color in the second image.

25 October

1. Yup, the heat tape on the mud room roof is still intact and working. Sorry ice dams!
Oct25-037.jpg

2. Looking down on the AC compressor, all tucked away for the season in its snug blanket of snow!

Oct25-038.jpg

Last edited:
I think that the snow is quite widespread. My daughter in Utah got some this morning. We didn't get above freezing today. I sure hope it warms up. It's too early for this winter like weather. Your photos tell it like it is!!

Just for kicks, here are the Oct 24 pictures with a more "complete" corrections—color, noise, exposure, etc.

BlackOut013_1.jpg

BlackOut021_1.jpg

Real Name
Ken St John
Although we're a little more chilly than normal, no snow yet! In fact, I looked at the webcam from Paradise on Mt Rainier and it's only showing a mild dusting of the white stuff - you've got a lot more in your front yard!! Wonderful shots, all. Think I like the corrected versions a bit more.

Cheers!!

Ken

26-27 October

Slipping off schedule again. Meetings and reports due for the Land Trust, and after 3 years of retirement my writing skills are rusty—but I blame it on Covid and 2020.

Was sitting in my office and "decided" on something abstract that offered itself up to me. Nothing very good, but fun.

1. I was staring into space, aka, the neighbor's roof and I noticed the lines in the snow that matched the shingles beneath.
Oct27-043.jpg

2. A change in exposure and the venetian blinds on my window added another layer of lines.

Oct27-044.jpg

3. A change in focus and the screen window aded its mesh of lines.

Oct27-047.jpg

4. Shortly after that the blinds cast an abstract pattern on my monitor (which I wasn't using at the time).

Oct27-046.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom