Share 2020 Octoberfest - Bucket

Real Name
Andy
I found some additional interesting modern architecture in Denver, this time at the airport. I was once told that the "tents" that comprise the terminal building are meant to mimic the Rockies. Perhaps these strips of aluminum, mounted on hinges so that they will sway in the wind, are meant to represent the tall grass that grows in the high plains leading up to the front range.
Octoberfest_20201005_06_562417_20C_5636.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

05 More Exeter...

Ladd-Gilman House

From historical sign...
"Build about 1721 as one of New Hampshire's earliest brick houses, and enlarged and clapboarded in the 1750s, this dwelling served as the state treasury during the Revolution. Here were born John Taylor Gilman (1753-1828), who was elected governor for an unequalled total of fourteen years, and his brother Nicholas Gilman, Jr. (1755-1814), a signer of the U.S. Constitution. The house has ben maintained since 1902 by the Society of the Cincinnati."

Looks like a small, New England house? Guess again...

There is also a Gilman Garrison House...

Wikipedia... "Built in 1709, it is a rare surviving example of a First Period garrison house, built with a number of clearly defense-related features."

And the expected old church... The Congregational Church of Exeter

Wikipedia...The Congregational Church in Exeter was gathered in 1638 by the Rev. John Wheelwright following his expulsion from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The current congregation is a merger of the former First Parish and Second Parish of Exeter. Second Parish split from First Parish in the 1700s during the Great Awakening over theological differences. The two congregations then reunited in the early 20th century. During the split Phillips Exeter Academy was founded by John Phillips and other members of the Second Parish. The current Phillips Exeter Academy chapel now occupies the building of the former Second Parish. Some historians argue that the Republican Party was founded in the church's downstairs vestry, during a conference called by church member Amos Tuck in order to address the abolition of slavery."

And of course, a library...

Which is now where the Exeter Historical Society resides...

I be a bit thick but what is an October festival about? Must be an American occassion as we don't have it over here in the UK.
Very weird and strange, maybe worth some explaination

Last edited:
Day 8 Alternatives...

This shows the front, but has a bunch of power lines, and misses out on the tree, that I have in the main thread.

I liked this shot from the road as well, but the power lines were sooo distracting...

I never got to the other side to take a shot. Hopefully not a missed opportunity.

I guess the best thing (?) was with the blue sky, I realized I had a bunch of dust on my sensor. Of course, I'm spending all sorts of time trying to clean it. :(

Real Name
Andy
Day 8 and 9 preliminary shots that helped me evolve to the final image.

The pier, captured from the "usual angle"

The skyline, before the addition of lots of ND filters

Day 9a: Close-up of Barrett House in New Ipswich New Hampshire...

Not shown completely, but this had a five stall garage area on the left (my kind of garage setup :) ). The place was HUGE!

Day 9b: Jaffrey Little Red Schoolhouse

This was right next to the town's meetinghouse. Not much info on it, other than it was built in 1822.

Molly

OF2020-b-09.jpg

We're off for a few days, visiting Bern. On the so called "Hausberg" (the hill - sorry, mountain - right next to the town everybody goes to, relaxing), there's a big playground, park... lots of things to be seen. A tower. A little vegetable garden. Trains to ride on...

Molly is a steam locomotive, operated by a young guy, pulling about 6 to 8 cars, on which 2-3 people can sit.

"Out takes" from today's trip. From Kingston NH, a close up of the Josiah Bartlett house.

I love some of the Halloween tombstone writings.

There was the Nichols Memorial Library...

Built in 1898 and used until 2012, where it now is used by the Historical Society. I avoided the blue porta-potty that was on the right side. :)

There was also the Sanborn Seminary...
This historical site was named after Major Edward S. Sandborn and was a secondary boarding school from 1883, until bought by the town in 1966.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom