2020 Octoberfest - Minuteman3 (Ken) Hardcore - Canon EF 50mm f1.4 Day 31

Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Day 18A - Sunset

Went to take the garbage out ... and saw the sky was really lit up!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Almost makes our oak trees "pretty"!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Andy
Real Name
Ken St John
If you planed it down much thinner, I bet you won't have any holes to fill and it would be just right for making a small box.

Simply beautiful!
Thanks, Andy.

You're right about making this piece thinner, but filling it with epoxy makes it really special! Stay tuned ... I think it'll end up being featured in the next couple of days! ;)

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 19 - Filling Imperfections

Most of the wood pieces I've been working on have imperfections. Cracks, knots, and especially worm tubes (or maybe termite tubes, who knows? Whoever made them are long gone by now!!). To add a little artistic flair, I've been filling these spots with liquid epoxy resin. Takes about 24-48 hours to harden, then I sand them back to a smooth finish.
IMG_3289.jpg

This piece of maple had a lot of tubes ... but this metallic blue epoxy will look nice when finished.

Cheers!!

Ken

Day 19 - Filling Imperfections

Most of the wood pieces I've been working on have imperfections. Cracks, knots, and especially worm tubes (or maybe termite tubes, who knows? Whoever made them are long gone by now!!). To add a little artistic flair, I've been filling these spots with liquid epoxy resin. Takes about 24-48 hours to harden, then I sand them back to a smooth finish.
View attachment 1672380
This piece of maple had a lot of tubes ... but this metallic blue epoxy will look nice when finished.

Cheers!!

Ken
Looking forward to see how it progresses!

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 20 - Spooky!!

Our new Explorer has a nifty bit of marketing ... the puddle lamps that shine down from the outside mirrors when the courtesy lights are on are a red "ST" vs the normal white beam. Kinda cool. Last night, I went out to get something from the car, and saw the ST reflected in a bunch of leaves for an interesting effect!! (BTW - according to Ford the "ST" means "Sport Tuned"!)

Kinda spooky, eh?

Cheers!!

Ken

Day 20 - Spooky!!

Our new Explorer has a nifty bit of marketing ... the puddle lamps that shine down from the outside mirrors when the courtesy lights are on are a red "ST" vs the normal white beam. Kinda cool. Last night, I went out to get something from the car, and saw the ST reflected in a bunch of leaves for an interesting effect!! (BTW - according to Ford the "ST" means "Sport Tuned"!)
View attachment 1672402
Kinda spooky, eh?

Cheers!!

Ken
Great catch!

Great eye on the courtesy light on the leaves! I too am curious to see how the maple block turns out. I have used small amounts of West Marine epoxy to fill knots and cracks. Would like to try the pigment epoxy combo for a larger void.

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 21 - Finished platter

(See day 20 for a "before" images ... this one's in the background, but basically looked like the larger one in the foreground.)

Finished the smaller of the two boards shown on day 20 above. Takes about an hour to sand with multiple grits to get to the final version. (I start at 120 and end at 3000.) Pretty sure this piece is maple and will end up as a small serving tray. My wife thinks it would be excellent to serve sushi!!

More to come ...

Cheers!!

Ken

Day 21 - Finished platter

(See day 20 for a "before" images ... this one's in the background, but basically looked like the larger one in the foreground.)

Finished the smaller of the two boards shown on day 20 above. Takes about an hour to sand with multiple grits to get to the final version. (I start at 120 and end at 3000.) Pretty sure this piece is maple and will end up as a small serving tray. My wife thinks it would be excellent to serve sushi!!
View attachment 1672487
More to come ...

Cheers!!

Ken
Interesting work.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom