2020 Octoberfest - Minuteman3 (Ken) Hardcore - Canon EF 50mm f1.4 Day 31

Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Day 22 - Another board

On our last visit to the bargain bin at the wood store, I saw this rectangular board in the cast off bin. It had a rather large crack in it, but seemed to be structurally sound. After planing, sanding, an epoxy fill, and a lot of hours of hands on time .. I am really happy with the results!! As impressive as this looks in a photo, it's really cool in person. Think I'll keep this one for myself!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Please excuse the messy desk!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
This looks like a wonderfully rich and warmly grained piece of lumber - lots of character. What will you make from it?
Since it has a very, very, slight cup to it, I'm thinking of using it as a serving tray or perhaps as a tray on the dinner table for condiments. It's maple, but I think it's a little soft for a carving tray. My wife's been thinking about using it as a floating shelf, but I think it's a bit too small for that.

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 23 - New Toy!!

Today was pretty easy ... my new iPhone 12 arrived!! I've been using an XR for the past two years and it's been a wonderful companion. However, my wife has been using a 7+ and it's lately been showing it's age. She asked me to get a new phone, and pass down my XR as her replacement. How could I resist?

Setting up/restoring was pretty easy and everything seems to be in place and ready to go. Apparently the backup doesn't include BT devices (like the car!) so that appears to be about the only thing I have to reload back in manually. That, and some passwords. I'll be interested to see how the new 12's camera works. I know the 12 Pro is supposedly much better, but I'm sure this one will fit the bill as my "point & shoot" alternative!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Day 23 - New Toy!!

Today was pretty easy ... my new iPhone 12 arrived!! I've been using an XR for the past two years and it's been a wonderful companion. However, my wife has been using a 7+ and it's lately been showing it's age. She asked me to get a new phone, and pass down my XR as her replacement. How could I resist?
View attachment 1672661
Setting up/restoring was pretty easy and everything seems to be in place and ready to go. Apparently the backup doesn't include BT devices (like the car!) so that appears to be about the only thing I have to reload back in manually. That, and some passwords. I'll be interested to see how the new 12's camera works. I know the 12 Pro is supposedly much better, but I'm sure this one will fit the bill as my "point & shoot" alternative!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Sweet! I’ve often wondered about doing an Oktoberfest with an iPhone...

Day 15 - Waiting to ripen

My wife brought in a lot of tomatoes that she's hoping will ripen indoors. I'm not sure that will work, but I did think they made an interesting DOF study!!
View attachment 1672079
Cheers!!

Ken
Day 16 & 17 - Time to catch up

Yesterday was a bear of a day but today (Saturday) I was able to fit in a little fun.

About the only thing I saw yesterday was my office and my computer. Bunch of updates to push out to one of my IT clients. This was during a quiet time, disconnected from the remote session ...
View attachment 1672265
What a difference a day makes!! Among a lot of other things, one of our stops today was at the place where I have been getting wood chunks for the projects I have been working on. I did buy two nice pieces, but they had a bunch of odd shaped pieces that were in the "free" bin!! (In this picture, the one I bought is the long piece. The rest were free!!)
View attachment 1672266

Cheers!!

Ken
Day - 18 Project work begins!!

Here's a piece of maple that I just started working on. I first planed it and sanded it to a pretty smooth finish. Next step is to carve out these worm holes (or whatever they are). What I remove loos like fine sawdust so maybe it's termites? Anyway, I clean those out first ... next comes something to fill the holes!!
View attachment 1672304
This one's about 18" long and 6" wide ... think it'll end up being some sort of serving platter.

Cheers!!

Ken

First off - apologies for being absent and having so much to catch up with.

15 - that's a bunch of 'maters. Cools shot, the thin DoF works well for this one.

16 - nice peaceful images for backgrounds.

17 & 18 - I love watching wood projects. :D

Day 18A - Sunset

Went to take the garbage out ... and saw the sky was really lit up!!
View attachment 1672321
Almost makes our oak trees "pretty"!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Day 19 - Filling Imperfections

Most of the wood pieces I've been working on have imperfections. Cracks, knots, and especially worm tubes (or maybe termite tubes, who knows? Whoever made them are long gone by now!!). To add a little artistic flair, I've been filling these spots with liquid epoxy resin. Takes about 24-48 hours to harden, then I sand them back to a smooth finish.
View attachment 1672380
This piece of maple had a lot of tubes ... but this metallic blue epoxy will look nice when finished.

Cheers!!

Ken
Day 20 - Spooky!!

Our new Explorer has a nifty bit of marketing ... the puddle lamps that shine down from the outside mirrors when the courtesy lights are on are a red "ST" vs the normal white beam. Kinda cool. Last night, I went out to get something from the car, and saw the ST reflected in a bunch of leaves for an interesting effect!! (BTW - according to Ford the "ST" means "Sport Tuned"!)
View attachment 1672402
Kinda spooky, eh?

Cheers!!

Ken
Day 21 - Finished platter

(See day 20 for a "before" images ... this one's in the background, but basically looked like the larger one in the foreground.)

Finished the smaller of the two boards shown on day 20 above. Takes about an hour to sand with multiple grits to get to the final version. (I start at 120 and end at 3000.) Pretty sure this piece is maple and will end up as a small serving tray. My wife thinks it would be excellent to serve sushi!!
View attachment 1672487
More to come ...

Cheers!!

Ken
18A - Cool! Love the colors through the trees.

19 - Neat. Quite a contrast. (I've never worked with colored resins, we always used clear when we went that route instead of filler. But that was decades ago.)

20 - Nice catch. Color a good match for the season.

21 - Looking forward to the finished piece!

Day 22 - Another board

On our last visit to the bargain bin at the wood store, I saw this rectangular board in the cast off bin. It had a rather large crack in it, but seemed to be structurally sound. After planing, sanding, an epoxy fill, and a lot of hours of hands on time .. I am really happy with the results!! As impressive as this looks in a photo, it's really cool in person. Think I'll keep this one for myself!!
View attachment 1672586

Cheers!!

Ken
Day 23 - New Toy!!

View attachment 1672661

Cheers!!

Ken
22 - cool-looking piece, love the grain. Any ideas yet what you're going make?

23 - Nice. Not a big smart-phone user myself, but the things have come a long way over the years.

Real Name
Andy
oday was pretty easy ... my new iPhone 12 arrived!!
Congrats. Big jump from the XR to the 12 I imagine. I'm going to hang on to the "tweener" (the 11) for awhile longer - I have barely scratched the surface of its cameras capabilities - strangely, I keep forgetting how viable an option it is to a FF camera for almost any kind of general photography.

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 24 - Leaves, again ...

A little wind last night and voila ... our yard is covered with oak leaves! Besides shear volume (only about 10-15% have fallen so far), the main thing I dislike about these leaves is their lack of pretty colors. If they were typical fall colors such as yellow, red, and orange, at least they'd be pretty!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Day 22 - Another board

View attachment 1672586

Cheers!!

Ken
That is beautiful. The touch of blue is so interesting!!

Day 23 - New Toy!!

View attachment 1672661

Cheers!!

Ken
New phones are fun!! I use the camera on my iphone 11 fairly often and it often surprises me at how well it does.

A little wind last night and voila ... our yard is covered with oak leaves! Besides shear volume (only about 10-15% have fallen so far), the main thing I dislike about these leaves is their lack of pretty colors. If they were typical fall colors such as yellow, red, and orange, at least they'd be pretty!!
View attachment 1672738
Cheers!!

Ken
I think they look pretty!! We had a hard frost and most of our leaves lost their color and have fallen now. It was a pretty fall while it lasted. It's snowing now.

Real Name
Andy
the main thing I dislike about these leaves is their lack of pretty colors
Oak trees definitely make better wood than leaves. And if you harvest the wood, you mitigate your leaf raking responsibilities. Having just moved from Illinois to Florida, this will be my first October without bags and bags full of deciduous tree leaves at my curb. But I certainly do miss the season of autumn.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom