2020 Octoberfest - Minuteman3 (Ken) Hardcore - Canon EF 50mm f1.4 Day 31

Day 24 - Leaves, again ...

A little wind last night and voila ... our yard is covered with oak leaves! Besides shear volume (only about 10-15% have fallen so far), the main thing I dislike about these leaves is their lack of pretty colors. If they were typical fall colors such as yellow, red, and orange, at least they'd be pretty!!
View attachment 1672738
Cheers!!

Ken
Time to get out the spray paint! :)

Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let us know how the 12 works out with “5G” coverage. I like your screen saver photo. Very pretty.
So far, I can tell an improvement. I'm on T-Mo and the 5G showed up right away. I know I'm nowhere near one of the much hyped "mm wave" locales, but at least in my area the "regular" 5G seems faster, but then again LTE around here rarely goes higher than 20-30 mbps when I test it. I have not run any speed tests, yet, but so far 5G does feel significantly snappier!!

(Last year, when we were visiting friends in Vancouver BC, I was getting more than 100 mbps on the LTE network up there [Rogers, I think]. I suspect lack of congestion may be the bigger reason for the better speeds. I kept saying to myself, why can't I get this at home? :D )

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 25 - Flowers

With a fairly nice day, I was able to get a nice shot of some of the flowers that my wife takes care of; these are in our front yard.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 26 - Time for chili!!

After cool weekend, we had our first dip to 32º overnight. Seems like a good excuse for a pot of chili!! Eight plus hours in the slow cooker ensures a thick and rich cili dinner tonight!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Chili is such a great dish—as welcome in summer as it is in winter. Make a small batch with special ingredients, or a huge batch for a crowd at a pot-luck. Best of all you don't have to follow a recipe, can use any beans you want, or none at all, use all beef or mix what you want, fire it up with chillies or "dumb" it down and past the hot sauce.

That looks especially good, Ken! YUM.

Day 25 - Flowers

With a fairly nice day, I was able to get a nice shot of some of the flowers that my wife takes care of; these are in our front yard.
View attachment 1672844
Cheers!!

Ken
Day 26 - Time for chili!!

After cool weekend, we had our first dip to 32º overnight. Seems like a good excuse for a pot of chili!! Eight plus hours in the slow cooker ensures a thick and rich cili dinner tonight!!
View attachment 1672903
Cheers!!

Ken
Flowers are very pretty. I love all the pink in the background. The chili looks fabulous. Did you make it?

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 27/28 - RAW for a change

I'll admit, I normally do not shoot in RAW. Either the cameras (and this was true of my D750 as well as this 6D Mk II) are too smart, or my standards just aren't high enough. But, yesterday and today, I did shoot some things (repeating a couple of previous subjects) to spend some time processing in DxO PL4. Since I did not shoot any jpg's at all, these are not really "comparisons" as much as examples of what the software can do.

First up is a shot of my daughter's Christmas present (cutting board). Other than badly missing focus, the noise at ISO 2000 is pretty nice.
IMG_3434-Edit.jpg

For the second test, I revisited my wife's hydrangea plant in the front yard. This was taken just before sundown in total shade. I did better with focus this time, and the noise is pretty much non-existent.
IMG_3440_DxO.jpg

Just a few days more to go ...

Cheers!!

Ken

I have to shoot raw, or I have to give up my avatar name. :) it’s more work, but I find I get better dynamic range and more control over the processing.

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 29 - Vote!!

Today's the day when I drop off our ballots!! I like to use the drop off boxes more than the mail. At least I'll know who will "loose" ... or "find" ... them if they're not counted!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Day 29 - Vote!!

Today's the day when I drop off our ballots!! I like to use the drop off boxes more than the mail. At least I'll know who will "loose" ... or "find" ... them if they're not counted!!
View attachment 1673024
Cheers!!

Ken
Good for you! It's always a good thing, when folks participate in the direction of the country. I will definitely be voting, but will do so in person.

Real Name
Ken St John
Day 30 - A little bit of color

Although western Washington is generally not as colorful in Fall as other parts of the country, there are exceptions. Took these from the parking lot of the place where my wife was at a med appointment. Tried to use the thin DOF at f1.4 to highlight the red tree leaves .... only moderately effective, I think! Probably should have tried a few at f1.8, or f2.0 but by the time I thought about it, the light had faded!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom