Critique 2020 Octoberfest - NEF Said (Paul) Hardcore - 28mm f2.8 Ais Completed

Real Name
Paul
Chester Town Hall
2020_03_DSC0008.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
From Wikipedia...

"Chester is considered one of the old towns of the state. In 1719, about eighty persons, chiefly from Portsmouth and Hampton, formed an association, for the purpose of securing a tract of land in the "Chesnut Country" (so called) and stationed three men upon this tract, to hold possession until they should procure a lawful title. After considerable difficulty they obtained a grant of land, ten miles [16 km] square. Immediately the settlement was commenced by several persons from Rye and Hampton...On the 8th of May, 1722 the township which had hitherto been called Cheshire, was incorporated under its present name, and comprising an area of over 120 square miles [310 km2]."

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Another nice image of old building.

I was thinking to have a theme originally but I would not be moving around town very much so I scrapped the idea.

Real Name
Paul
Another nice image of old building.

I was thinking to have a theme originally but I would not be moving around town very much so I scrapped the idea.
Yeah, it makes it even more difficult, but sometimes I struggle with deciding WHAT to shoot, so the theme seems to help force me to have something to target on.

The down side is that I don't really get to exercise the lens in different conditions (other than lighting). I guess I could do close-ups of "parts" of buildings. :)

Real Name
Chris
Lovely set of buildings Paul. I hope this theme will continue. And yes, the slightly high, unfiltered, temperature of the reflected skylight does resonate with Ektachrome 64. During the 80s and 90s it was my favorite film. I had a whole raft of 81 and 85 series filters to try to tame the film’s wild side.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks guys! The sky was quite different, with really bright sun and dark blue sky, a mix of light puffy clouds, and some small, but really dark Winter like clouds. I didn't realize the effect it had on the pavement and building. Lucky I guess!

Real Name
Paul
Danville Hawke Meeting House
2020_04__DSC7222.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was really tough, with power lines nearby, sun in a bad position (and no polarizing filter). I had an odd, distracting, color aberration (reflection?) on the shaded side that I tried to touch up. Really hard as it was multiple colors.

From historical sign...
"Erected prior to June 12, 1755, this is New Hampshire's oldest meeting house in original condition. Built by 27 local proprietors who conveyed it in 1760 to the newly-incorporated Parish of Hawke (now Danville), the building was used for religious services through 1832 and for town meetings through 1887. The Rev. John Page, only regular minister of the parish, died of smallpox in the 1782 epidemic which ravaged the area of "Tuckertown" and is buried in "Ye Old Cemetery" just north of here."

While visiting another site in Danville, some historic society folks mentioned that the town built a second meeting hall later, and there was some conflict, where an (unsuccessful) attempt was made to burn down the other hall.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
It's quite nice. Shooting building is often difficult because of constraints in distance, other buildings, trees and power lines.

Paul, I've had company for a few days and just had time to look at all your photos. You've got some fun subject matter and all the posts are very well done. Are you going to try to shoot white buildings all month? You are off to a great start!

Real Name
Paul
Paul, I've had company for a few days and just had time to look at all your photos. You've got some fun subject matter and all the posts are very well done. Are you going to try to shoot white buildings all month? You are off to a great start!
I’m trying to do town (versus city) names, A to Z, in order, and picking historically old buildings, like town/meeting halls, churches, if at all possible. So far, all the meeting houses have been white.

If you check in the bucket, I did get a red school house and unpainted wood stagecoach and store today.

Going to have some trouble with some towns, when I get to Q, V, and Z. May have to stay outside of New Hampshire.

I’m trying to do town (versus city) names, A to Z, in order, and picking historically old buildings, like town/meeting halls, churches, if at all possible. So far, all the meeting houses have been white.

If you check in the bucket, I did get a red school house and unpainted wood stagecoach and store today.

Going to have some trouble with some towns, when I get to Q, V, and Z. May have to stay outside of New Hampshire.
Sounds like a great project. I hope we can do something like that once Greg retires.

Real Name
Paul
In this particular town, it appears that the churches were Baptist. Looks to be quite a few people from Britain originally. I've seen Scot-Irish in other towns, and Presbyterian churches, so far, but I'm sure there were a lot of European settlers from different groups.

Real Name
Paul
Well worth your the effort you put into that shot. Cool project too. Good luck, Can you get to Quinnipiac or Quhogi in NE for Q. You could come to VA to the crossroads of the Marines at Quantico!
I'm thinking Quechee VT, or Quincy MA. May be able to do Waterville Valley. Not sure about Z yet. Hoping to find something in ME, VT, MA, or NH. RI or CT, if I have to.

Latest threads

Top Bottom