Critique 2020 Octoberfest - NEF Said (Paul) Hardcore - 28mm f2.8 Ais Day 27

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Day 14b: Ossipee Court House
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From Wikipedia, about the Carroll County Court House...
"Built in 1916, it is the county's oldest surviving courthouse, and a prominent local example of Colonial Revival architecture."

Since Ossipee was near Madison (well, relatively), I skipped N, and will do that tomorrow.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
It is a great little town, much like Portsmouth. Very quaint New England look, with all the shops and architecture. I think, in the 38 years that I've lived in New Hampshire, I've only been there once, and I don't recognize it at all.

I took other pictures, one head on, as there was a crane/lift working on the right side of the building (and there are ladders near the top). Fortunately, walking back near it on the other side, the crane was down (you can see it on the right, and the bar wood on the underhand near the lamp post), and I could line up to hide the one ladder on the roof.

Unfortunately, I should have taken pictures of Epping and saved Exeter for later in the alphabet... :)
Went to skool their.

12 - love the old mill, well preserved and well photographed.

13 - green, wasn't expecting that. Neat building.

14 - even though "old", it looks quite a bit newer that the others.

Day 14a: Madison Town Hall
View attachment 1672032
From Wikipedia, about the town...
"This area was one of the first to have land grants set aside for soldiers who had survived the French and Indian War. The land covered by these grants, parts of Eaton and Albany, was incorporated in 1852 as "Madison," in honor of President James Madison,[3] who was born 100 years earlier."

Some notes...
The Town hall was built in 1904. Couldn't find much more info on it. Madison is pretty remote, and includes the village of Silver Lake (where I posted a few shots of the Post Office in Collective Shoot 718 today, which was the Silver Lake Railroad Station) and village of Eidelweiss.

I took this slightly obscured picture of the otherwise beautiful building, as there was so damage to the siding that was being repaired...
View attachment 1672033
Another nice example of NE architecture. They may need to drop those pines soon. I bet that would make a very good BW photo too. Try a red filter.

12 - love the old mill, well preserved and well photographed.

13 - green, wasn't expecting that. Neat building.

14 - even though "old", it looks quite a bit newer that the others.
Thanks. On 14a, yeah 1916 vs mid-1800s for the rest.

Another nice example of NE architecture. They may need to drop those pines soon. I bet that would make a very good BW photo too. Try a red filter.
Good idea. I never thought about trying any filter (I only have polarizers - not for this lens - but could consider in post processing).

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I'm really enjoying this series of prominent buildings in New Hampshire towns.

I love NH and wish I lived there. Maybe in Portsmouth, in an 18th century house. But I'm just another tourist there now.

My dream would be to have fish chowder and fried clams at Petey's in Rye Beach at least five nights a week before mammouth obesity and congestive heart failure took their toll. I miss squash pie, too.

I'm really enjoying this series of prominent buildings in New Hampshire towns.

I love NH and wish I lived there. Maybe in Portsmouth, in an 18th century house. But I'm just another tourist there now.

My dream would be to have fish chowder and fried clams at Petey's in Rye Beach at least five nights a week before mammouth obesity and congestive heart failure took their toll. I miss squash pie, too.
:) Yeah, Portsmouth and the whole seacoast area is wonderful. I'm a morning person, and always liked sunrises, especially at the beach. Alas, I've have to win the lottery to be able to afford some of the places I like.

Day 15: North Hampton Centennial Hall
2020_15__DSC7454.jpg

From Wikipedia about the town...
"
First settled in 1639, this town was a part of Hampton known as "North Hill" or "North Parish". Residents began petitioning for separation from Hampton as early as 1719, but township was not granted until 1742 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, following separation of New Hampshire from Massachusetts. In 1831, North Hampton was represented in the New Hampshire House of Representatives by Benning Leavitt.

Little Boar's Head, a seaside promontory, became a fashionable summer resort area in the 19th century, and contains elegant examples of late Victorian and Edwardian architecture."

About the Hall, built in 1876...
"It is a two-story wood frame structure, with a truncated hip roof and clapboarded exterior. It has a three-bay facade, with the center bay projecting slightly and rising to an open belfry and pyramidal cap. The roof eaves are adorned with decorative brackets, and the front of the upper portion of the tower has applied wood work in the Stick Style. Windows on the ground floor are set under jigsawn bracketed gables, and their lintels also have small brackets. The main entrance is sheltered by a hip roof portico that is fronted by a Stick style gable."

I did a quick and dirty editing out of some power lines in the corner - probably should have spend a bit more time on it.

This is one of the best so far, IMO. Is the upper left window broken? You have sure found some beautiful old buildings.
I think it may be part of the work going on, for the building. In another shot I have that shows the side of the building, there are several windows with this look. It seems that almost every town I've been in, they have been doing restoration and repair work on the old buildings. Most I've seen in years.

I'm loving the daily dose of history and visual treats! November will seem bleak when you stop!
Thanks, though it is hard to keep up the pace... especially since our freezer on our refrigerator is acting up. Was around 15 degrees F, instead of zero thus morning. It is about 6 years old, and the ice maker stopped working a year or so out of warranty. Scrambling today to order a new one.

Day 16: Pembroke Mill

From Wikipedia on the town...
"First granted in 1728, the town was known as "Lovewell's Town", in honor of Captain John Lovewell, who built the stockade at Ossipee. Shortly afterward, the town took the name of "Suncook", the Pennacook Abenaki name for the river flowing through the area. When the town was incorporated in 1759 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, it was given the name "Pembroke" in honor of Henry Herbert, ninth Earl of Pembroke in southern Wales."

About the mill...
"The site where the mill was built has an industrial history beginning in the 18th century, when saw- and gristmills were established on the falls of the Suncook River. The Suncook Manufacturing Company was organized in 1860, buying up land and water rights on both sides of the river. The Pembroke Mill was its first building, completed the same year."

It now is used for residential housing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom