Critique 2020 Octoberfest - NEF Said (Paul) Hardcore - 28mm f2.8 Ais Completed

Real Name
Paul
No shot for today... was at a gun competition all day today, and out playing Volleyball tonight, so no time to visit a town today. I did two on Friday, to keep up with the theme I’m doing.

Just getting caught up on your posts, and I gotta say I'm really enjoying your thread this year.

Of the recent batch, I like the build, color and history of the Weeks house. And the Kingston house with the attached barn.

Real Name
Paul
Day 12: Laconia Busiel-Seeburg Mill
2020_12__DSC7419.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From Wikipedia on Laconia...
"A large Abenaki Indian settlement called Acquadocton Village once existed at the point now known as The Weirs, named by colonists for fishing weirs discovered at the outlet of the Winnipesaukee River. Early explorers had hoped to follow the Piscataqua River north to Lake Champlain in search of the great lakes and rivers of Canadamentioned in Indian folklore. About 1652, the Endicott surveying party visited the area, an event commemorated by Endicott Rock, a local landmark. A fort would be built at Laconia in 1746. But ongoing hostilities between the English, French, and their respective Native American allies prevented settlement until 1761, after which it remained for many years a part of Meredith and Gilford called Meredith Bridge."

Regarding the mills...
"Beginning in 1765, lumber and grist mills were established on Mill Street, with taverns built soon thereafter on Parade Street. About 1822, the courthouse was built, which would become county seat at the creation of Belknap County in 1840. In 1823, the Belknap Mill was built to manufacture textiles; in operation by 1828, the structure is today a museum listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest unaltered brick textile mill in the country. Local industry produced lumber, textiles, shoes, hosiery, knitting machinery and needles."

A historical marker concerning the Busiel-Seeburg (shown) and Belknap Mill...
"Constructed in 1823, the Belknap Mill is the oldest unaltered brick textile mill in the U.S. Once a hosiery mill, it houses an intact hydraulic power plant and a bell cast by George Holbrook, apprentice to Paul Revere. The Busiel Mill, built in 1853 as a hosiery mill, was later used for the manufacture of clocks, electronic relays and organs."

Real Name
Paul
Laconia is between Lake Winnipesaukee (the largest lake in the state) and Winnisquam Lake, where the movie "On Golden Pond" was filmed. At the nearby Weir's beach, each year around Father's Day, they hold "Bike Week", which is one of the largest motorcycle gatherings in the U.S. There is FunSpot, an arcade center, which was named the "World's Largest Arcade" by Guiness World Records in 2008.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Now we have a big one. The building is beautiful, and the capture is beautiful.

Real Name
Paul
What a handsome building!
Nice to see how well preserved the mill shows. Good angle/perspective on the building.
Now we have a big one. The building is beautiful, and the capture is beautiful.
My favorite so far!! Impressive shot and building.
Thanks everyone! With all the construction around, I ended up spending more time walking around the two mill buildings and stumbled in this perspective from a small foot bridge over the nearby river.

Real Name
Paul
Tons of rain today, so will skip doing a 2-3 hour trip to get photos in iffy conditions. Will try to do M and O tomorrow, as they are within 30 mins of each other, and pickup N on Thursday.

Real Name
Paul
Day 14a: Madison Town Hall
2020_14a__DSC7438.jpg

From Wikipedia, about the town...
"This area was one of the first to have land grants set aside for soldiers who had survived the French and Indian War. The land covered by these grants, parts of Eaton and Albany, was incorporated in 1852 as "Madison," in honor of President James Madison,[3] who was born 100 years earlier."

Some notes...
The Town hall was built in 1904. Couldn't find much more info on it. Madison is pretty remote, and includes the village of Silver Lake (where I posted a few shots of the Post Office in Collective Shoot 718 today, which was the Silver Lake Railroad Station) and village of Eidelweiss.

I took this slightly obscured picture of the otherwise beautiful building, as there was so damage to the siding that was being repaired...
2020_14a__DSC7441.jpg

Real Name
Paul
There was Joy Farm, which is where the poet E.E. Cummings lived, but after about 20 minutes trying to find it, driving on class IV dirt roads, I found that the road leading to the house was a private way, so I gave up. It is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Latest threads

Top Bottom