2021 52 Week Project - Discussion

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Well...

Since I now have new gear, I figure I might as well learn how to use it. :D I'll be using the Nikon Z5 with the 24-200mm lens.

I'm not sure of the types of things I'll be shooting, so stay tuned! :shame:

LLH

YAYYYYY!!!!!!! I'll have at least one new companion going through 52 weeks of shooting in 2021!!! :)

For me, at the end of December 2019, I was wavering about doing this kind of project and Nick (Palouse) urged me to think about it and reminded me that it would be a great way to use my then-brand-new gear consistently, and I thought, "that's a good point!" Spent all this money on the stuff, not a good idea to just have it sitting idly in the armoire...... By having a commitment to produce some images each week I would need to be working with my gear and learning more about it and what I could do with it plus also occasionally tapping into and stirring up creative juices I wasn't sure were there..... As someone who is now about to wrap up this first project at the end of December 2020, I am really glad that I did take on the challenge and I'll say at times it really HAS been a challenge, as well as a learning experience, an occasional frustration, a joy....all of that! The flexibility in doing a 52-week project is definitely a huge plus in my book, as early on, years ago I found trying to do a 365/POTD was just too much, too demanding. I knew I couldn't deal with another POTD project, but the weekly thing seemed doable, and I've found that for me, it is. Some days I have time and motivation to shoot, other days I don't, but no matter....as long as I've got something to share at the end of the week. I've really loved this and learned from it!

Today was a good example of this, actually. I hadn't shot much yet this week and earlier this afternoon was thinking, "yikes, it's Wednesday already!" and so got out the camera and shot a few images. Reviewing them in the computer, I wasn't happy, any more than I'd been during the shooting. This just wasn't working. Ugh! I didn't spend time on processing anything, I put the camera away.....but then about an hour later got the camera, the lens, and the subject(s) back out again, did a somewhat different setup, tried a different approach......and this time eventually hit my stride and came up with a couple images with which I was pleased enough to go ahead and actually edit and which will probably be shared on Sunday when I do my week's submission..... So yeah, this kind of project takes a certain level of commitment but it also does provide a lot of nudging of the perhaps-dormant creative juices, it keeps photography at the forefront of one's mind (which for me has been a huge sanity-saver during 2020!) and it offers flexibility, which is particularly helpful when dealing with time constraints, weather issues, whatever.....

Welcome, Lyndee, to the 2021 52 Weeks Project!!! :)

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I hear you, Connie. While there is no way I can do a POTD, I can certainly commit to a 52 week challenge. I do know that there will be repeats of images that I've previously posted here in the Cafe, but I will have fun taking those photos with my new gear. My goal this year, outside of learning the ins and outs of the Z5, is to improve the lighting and composition of my photos, as well as to improve my post processing technique.

I'm looking forward to starting off next week! :D

I think it was in 2009 that I did a POTD and lasted all the way through to mid-October and then one day I said, "I can't do this any more," and abruptly stopped. Didn't pick up a camera for a long time after that, I was really burned out. Learned a lesson from that! Yes, over this past year I have indeed become very comfortable with my gear, realized what I needed and what I don't need but would like, and what I really won't buy in the way of further gear. I've branched out and experimented some with subjects and techniques, which has been fun, gets the creative juices flowing! And, yes, to my own surprise I've also made some strides in getting better results in post-processing, which is something I've always been weak in. I used to just hate editing and PP, but now, I actually don't mind it all that much. and am taking more time to learn, to try new approaches as I go. It's been a good experience for me, this 52 Weeks project! That's why I'll be rolling right from 2020 into 2021 and starting fresh with a new year's worth of 52 more weeks!

I burned out towards the end— our ability to go out and shoot was constrained by Covid; I'd hoped to continue shooting "new" things—something besides landscapes, but never really got into urban/street shooting. Oh well, as the old saying goes, it's time to get back on the horse that bucked me off—52 weeks in 2020, here I come . . . .

Yay, Nick!!!!! Welcome back in 2021! Yeah, I figured you'd burned out, but don't feel bad. You weren't alone in doing that in 2020 -- actually, most of those who started the year doing a 52 Weeks project dropped off along the way. A lot of people don't realize that they may just not have the time or the energy for such a commitment. I think there are only three of us left now! We'll wrap up 2020 together...

I think a lot has to do with the pandemic situation and various restrictions on freedom of movement and travel, along with the type of shooting one likes to do and opportunities for that. I am just really fortunate in living where I do that I have so many photo ops right here on my doorstep, right off my deck, and/or when walking around the neighborhood. I also like shooting abstracts, macros and tabletops, and so that keeps me happy and busy when the weather is not conducive to being outdoors shooting.

In 2021 I'm going to take a slightly different approach. This year I've been "saving" all my best images to share in my 52 Weeks, with occasionally tossing an image or two into the CS, rarely starting a thread of my own with any particular image or subject. This coming year I'm going to post fewer images in the 52 Weeks project and try to start a few more threads when I have something I'm excited about. I don't like repeating the same image in several threads, so one that is in the CS, for instance, doesn't show up also in my 52 Weeks thread. The same applies (with an exception or two) to the times I have started a new thread. In the future I'll spread the wealth around more generously, so to speak, so that I'll be sticking to my philosophy of not cross-posting any images. We'll see how this all works out.....

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hey, Lyndee.....a suggestion for you! Since we've turned this into a discussion thread you might want to change the header to a more generalized title so that when you actually do begin your 52 weeks project there will be the images right from the get-go rather than all this conversation! :)
Good idea and done! :D

I'm thinking about it.....It would be fun to participate with Nick, Connie, and Lyndee. Hopefully some others will decide to try it, too!!

I can't believe that it has been nearly a year already and that I've been doing this project consistently and faithfully, week after week after week. WOW!!!! When I started out back in January of 2020 I really wasn't sure how well I would do with it, but thought, well, let's just give this a try, see what happens..... I'm rather chuffed and proud of myself right now! LOL! Actually, while images from Week 52 will be showing up tomorrow in my thread, because this is a strange year with Leap Year added to the mix of everything else out of the ordinary, I'll be shooting in what will be Week 53, right up to the end..... Then it'll be time to start on Week 1, 2021!!!

Real Name
Andy
I'm thinking about giving this a try. I had a little lull in motivation after Octoberfest 2020 (and, come to think of it, a lull before Octoberfest as well). It would probably help me to stay on task to have a self-imposed weekly obligation in 2021 to "pursue the craft." What are the guidelines?

Guidelines are here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/the-52-week-projects.274801/

I was surprised when rereading them to see the mention of choosing a theme, as that is something I haven't done; to a great extent, I tend to be rather eclectic in my shooting and my subject choices, rather than shooting just one particular theme or subject. If I did try to do that, I would burn out very quickly! I do tend to shoot mostly abstracts/tabletops/macros and nature (furred and feathered friends, plus flowers and plant life). Not a landscape person here, nor am I into portraiture, or shooting the sun, the moon and the stars..... I like to experiment, and sometimes I'll start out with no real idea of what exactly I'm going to do with a particular subject, and I just start messing around, trying this, trying that and seeing what happens.

It took me a while last year to really get into the groove of how I wanted to approach this beyond just taking some shots and posting them. I had to figure out the best way of dealing with the logistics of handling the files before and during processing and of course afterward. I now have all of the weeks of the 2020 project in my Zenfolio gallery as well as having the complete set on my computer locally and in a couple of external drives for backup and storage. I eventually got into a routine of shooting at various times during the week -- sometimes several days in a row, sometimes no days, sometimes an extended shooting session and other times just a couple quick shots. I established Sundays as being when I would pull together the choices for the week and post them here on the Cafe.

This IS a commitment, but it is much more flexible than doing a 365-day project -- I learned that lesson long ago! I've found it to be fun, challenging and educational.....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom