Critique 2021 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Helios F-92 (90mm f/2) – Day 24

13. Home, at last...
View attachment 1691113
This has felt like a long stint away from home, and it's good to be back. In my absence, my new 40 was delivered. Also while away I bought an old lens that I have always thought would be interesting. Looking forward to trying them both. Not sure if I'll be able to wait until November...
TOYS!!!!!!

Real Name
Andy
Hoping that they are uploading frequently. And yep, for sure - the odors in NJ could be worse than the Budweiser factory!
Mmmmmm........I'll bet that scent in the air makes one thirsty -- and wanting a nice cold glass of beer!
On tap, is on point!
Mono is perfect for this. I remember from childhood the malt smell from a local brewery. Quite liked it.
Nice shot of the iconic building.
Day 10 - Very cool shot, like that I can see the portion of the moon in shade.
Day 11 - Nice tight shot of the waterfall. I think you have a perfect shutter speed showing the flow but keeping detail.
Day 12 - Nice image of a industrial site..BW just seems to work with these type of images.
12 - good use of the B&W for the industrial, nice play on the words for the title.
Thanks for all these kind remarks. Also, I think I'm caught up on everyone's threads through Day 13 now...

Real Name
Andy
14. Orchids
Octoberfest-14.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A little research this morning revealed that the various flowers growing on trees in my yard are characterized as epiphytes, which is typical for tropical orchids. This is a focus stack of ten frames, with a slight crop to omit the misaligned edges of the layers, but not post processed in any other way. The DOF of the f/2 fixed-aperture Helios is razor thin (a representative image is in the bucket), so only two of the several flowers on this stem are discernible. More frames might have rendered the background flowers better, but I felt that would make the resultant image look too flat.

14. Orchids
View attachment 1691130
A little research this morning revealed that the various flowers growing on trees in my yard are characterized as epiphytes, which is typical for tropical orchids. This is a focus stack of ten frames, with a slight crop to omit the misaligned edges of the layers, but not post processed in any other way. The DOF of the f/2 fixed-aperture Helios is razor thin (a representative image is in the bucket), so only two of the several flowers on this stem are discernible. More frames might have rendered the background flowers better, but I felt that would make the resultant image look too flat.
The stacking really paid off as the two are nice and sharp, with the rest in the background, adding to the greens. Well done!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
14. Orchids
View attachment 1691130
Stunnng...absolutely stunning!!!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
14. Orchids
View attachment 1691130
Great work stacking.

Real Name
Andy
Ooooh......oooh, luscious!!!!! Just beautiful!
Very pretty. Learning more about flora in this 'fest. Great job combining the stack to show off the delicacy of the flowers while blurring out the background
Beautiful! I like the softness.
The stacking really paid off as the two are nice and sharp, with the rest in the background, adding to the greens. Well done!
Stunnng...absolutely stunning!!!
Great work stacking.
Thanks, all!

Real Name
Andy
15. Buds
Octoberfest-14.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These are orchid buds that will soon bloom on the east side of the same tree with the purple ones. Four-frame stack with a few tweaks in post.

Last edited:
13. Home, at last...
View attachment 1691113
This has felt like a long stint away from home, and it's good to be back. In my absence, my new 40 was delivered. Also while away I bought an old lens that I have always thought would be interesting. Looking forward to trying them both. Not sure if I'll be able to wait until November...
Looking forward as well to the Z40. I am using the 55mm 1.2 as my 'fest lens. One of my favorites for shallow DOF photography. Renders beautifully between 1.2 and 2.8.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom