Critique 2021 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Helios F-92 (90mm f/2) – Day 31

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
22. Blossom
View attachment 1691835
Three weeks into Octoberfest, I must confess to a bit of "phatigue" so I am revisiting these orchids, which have really blossomed since I first photographed them. This is seven frames stacked in Ps, a task which my new M1 MBA managed to accomplish almost as quickly as the M1 Mac mini.
Wow Andy,
this Vanda orchid looks fantastic.
I know them because they are the only orchids that has blue colors by nature.
This orange one is looking great.

Very well photographed
Klaus

Real Name
Andy
23. Green Heron
Octoberfest-23.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This time, a stationary heron image. Heavily cropped.

Your last three are a nice variety of images. The Mac shot looks like a product photo - you are due some royalties from Apple!

Lovely orchid flower. Super rich colors.

Despite the crop on the heron it is still very sharp. Really great showcase of the Z7!

The last 5 or so images are, like all of your Octoberfest portfolio, are such mesmerizing images, not only for the subjects but for the way the lens renders them. No 2 images are alike. I wish I had your energy and eye!

Real Name
Andy
My goodness, have I fallen behind in terms of responding to comments (and viewing the threads of others). I'll remedy both immediately.
colors and composition with a creamy and dreamy background.
Thanks, Eric. Credit goes to the lens for the creamy/dreamy effect.
Wow Andy,
this Vanda orchid looks fantastic.
I know them because they are the only orchids that has blue colors by nature.
This orange one is looking great.

Very well photographed
Klaus
Danke, Klaus. I am not familiar with any orchidaceae species!
22 - beautiful shot of the orchids - love the colors.
Thanks, Gordon. They are a pleasure to observe, and photograph.
Yesss...your shots are awesome, especially the Pro to Air image!
Thanks, Lyndee Loo. That was actually an "oh-my-gosh-I-better-take-a-quick-photo" shot. It's very kind of you to single it out.

Real Name
Andy
You are all so very kind with your comments. I am honored. This is actually my second image of the same bird, who recently took up residence at the lot next to mine. I first captured him hopping from one spot to another on the 16th. But that was in morning with backlighting, so the green color was not well captured. This image was in overcast conditions where the colors are rendered much better.
I've never seen one before. They really are green, aren't they!?
Thanks, Terri. I think the Helios renders yellows and greens particularly favorably.
Nice! Green looks smaller than blue....great image regardless of size!
Thanks, Tim. Indeed, the Green heron is much smaller than a Great blue heron. Also, this particular specimen lets me get close.
Wow! I've never seen one so out in the open - I assume that's water in the background? NIce one, Andy!
Thanks, Eric. Yes, there is a swampy mess on the lot next to mine ever since they bulldozed it. Numerous ducks and wading birds have come to feed on the newly accessible water critters.
He looks a little out of sorts -- ruffled hair and feathers! LOL! This is a terrific capture, as these guys can be very elusive. Excellent shot!
Thanks, Connie. The Green heron puffs up the crown feathers at times. I shot many frames of this cooperative specimen and selected one where he did so.
Nicely done! And count me as another that's not seen the greens before, cool critter.
Thanks, Gordon. They are very entertaining to watch. Perhaps I'll post a video someday.
This is one of the best Green Hero images that I've seen.
Thanks, Phil. That is really high praise.
Especially nice with the perch position too.
Thanks, Wade. I captured hime many times, and this composition with the branch seemed best.
Great shot. Is that a youngster?
Quite unusual looking bird. I too was wondering if it was a young one.
Thanks, Ron and Paul. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the species to answer. There are certainly others on the Cafe who might know better
Your last three are a nice variety of images. The Mac shot looks like a product photo - you are due some royalties from Apple!

Lovely orchid flower. Super rich colors.

Despite the crop on the heron it is still very sharp. Really great showcase of the Z7!
Thanks, John. I am surprised and humbled that the quick-and-dirty shot of the two laptops was so well received. The orchid is literally low hanging fruit. Being able to crop from 42 megapixels is indeed a blessing.
The last 5 or so images are, like all of your Octoberfest portfolio, are such mesmerizing images, not only for the subjects but for the way the lens renders them. No 2 images are alike. I wish I had your energy and eye!
Thanks, Nick. What a nice thing to say!

Real Name
Andy
24. Omni
Octoberfest-24.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Opportunity shot, nothing more.

Before pulling into the parking lot at FLL airport this morning, I made a small detour to photograph this contraption, known as a VORTAC (which stands for VHF Omnidirectional Radiobeacon/Tactical Air Navigation system). Civilian aircraft used to rely primarily on VORs, while tactical military aircraft were equipped with TACAN receivers.

Old-time aviators called it an "omni" because it would allow aircraft to determine accurately their position with great accuracy. This represented an enormous improvement over NDBs (Non-directional Radio Beacons) which transmitted on AM radio frequencies, and required you to interpret a needle that pointed at the station, with neither distance nor azimuth information transmitted. NDBs are almost completely phased out these days, and GPS has largely rendered VORTACs obsolete, but they continue to serve as a viable backup if all else fails. When I started flying, the challenge was to find your way without help from an omni. Nowadays, who can imagine finding your way without GPS? I guess that makes me the old-timer.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom