Critique 2021 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Helios F-92 (90mm f/2) – Day 31

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Beautiful image and story. Looking at the image and before reading the story below, I thought it looked like a waffle iron. :)

I visited Eugene several times many many years ago when my brother was studying there. It's a lovely town.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
19. Bowerman Tribute Desk Lamp
View attachment 1691650
what an interesting subject, impeccably imaged.
A very long day ended in Eugene, OR. I did get out for a brief photo walk as the sun was setting, but found something better right in my hotel room. This particular property is themed to honor the local area. For example, there is a giant Duck (mascot for the University of Oregon) in the lobby. The front desk is a showcase of Nike shoes; that company was founded here. Before co-founding Nike, Bill Bowerman coached Track and Field at the U of O, served twice as the US Olympic Team Track and Field head coach, and mentored many great athletes including Steve Prefontaine. In the days before Nike, believing that the then-commercially available shoes were not optimized for runners, Bowerman made tracings of each runner's foot to make custom shoes for them. He was inspired by his waffle iron for the pattern used in the soles of those shoes. Apparently, this desk lamp pays homage to that fact.

Real Name
Paul
View attachment 1691650
A very long day ended in Eugene, OR. I did get out for a brief photo walk as the sun was setting, but found something better right in my hotel room. This particular property is themed to honor the local area. For example, there is a giant Duck (mascot for the University of Oregon) in the lobby. The front desk is a showcase of Nike shoes; that company was founded here. Before co-founding Nike, Bill Bowerman coached Track and Field at the U of O, served twice as the US Olympic Team Track and Field head coach, and mentored many great athletes including Steve Prefontaine. In the days before Nike, believing that the then-commercially available shoes were not optimized for runners, Bowerman made tracings of each runner's foot to make custom shoes for them. He was inspired by his waffle iron for the pattern used in the soles of those shoes. Apparently, this desk lamp pays homage to that fact.
Well composed shot and very interesting story.

17 - excellent use of the backlight, very cool image IMHO.

18 - neat shot regardless of prairie dog appearance.

19 - too cool - waffle iron design. :D

View attachment 1691650
Before co-founding Nike, Bill Bowerman coached Track and Field at the U of O, served twice as the US Olympic Team Track and Field head coach, and mentored many great athletes including Steve Prefontaine.
Almost an abstract image of a familiar (at least to us boomers) object. Nicely done. BTW "Pre" would have been 70 this year. What a great LD runner that left us way too soon.

Real Name
Andy
Wow! Thanks, Andy, for the explanation. Had you not said, I'd have guessed that was a waffle iron! :eek:

I've been up to Eugene, and it's a great college town.
Yes, it has long been one of my favorite cities to visit.
Beautiful image and story. Looking at the image and before reading the story below, I thought it looked like a waffle iron. :)

I visited Eugene several times many many years ago when my brother was studying there. It's a lovely town.
Indeed! Thanks, Phil.
That's an interesting story and before I read it I wondered if that were a waffle iron and thought how odd to make a lamp designed around one! Now I understand why....
The lamp belongs nowhere else, but it really looks like it is in place when decorating a hotel in Eugene.
what an interesting subject, impeccably imaged.
Thanks, Wade.
Great 3D effect in this one Andy.
Thanks, Ron.
Well composed shot and very interesting story.
Thanks, Paul.
First I thought it was a waffle iron...but with you background it makes total sense as I had many a pair early Nike Cortez with the waffle iron sole.
Yes! I remember having the nipples of the waffle iron pattern worn flat was the mark of a cross country runner who had been putting his mileage in.
17 - excellent use of the backlight, very cool image IMHO.

18 - neat shot regardless of prairie dog appearance.

19 - too cool - waffle iron design. :D
Thanks, Gordo.
Almost an abstract image of a familiar (at least to us boomers) object. Nicely done. BTW "Pre" would have been 70 this year. What a great LD runner that left us way too soon.
So true! I have read several biographies both of Pre and a particularly good one by Kenny Moore about Bill Bowerman. It's called Bowerman and the Men of Oregon. Anyone who appreciates what it means to have another person take seriously the task of helping them to be their very best will love reading (at a minimum) the first chapter of that book.

Real Name
Andy
20. Shadow in Concourse B
Octoberfest-20.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have long meant to photograph the way the sunlight and shadows penetrate the atrium at the center of the B Concourse at Denver International Airport. Here they are in monotone, slightly straightened and lightly processed to taste.

View attachment 1691701
I have long meant to photograph the way the sunlight and shadows penetrate the atrium at the center of the B Concourse at Denver International Airport. Here they are in monotone, slightly straightened and lightly processed to taste.
I've been through there several times, but I'd never seen anything like this. Really dramatic with the black triangles in the NW & SE, that sharp diagonal, and a great range range of shadows. Super! P.S. - Were the recent crowds starting to dissipate?

Real Name
Paul
View attachment 1691701
Interesting shapes formed by the light/shadows. Great observation and capture. Most people seem to just zip through airports, oblivious to their surroundings.

Real Name
Andy
I've been through there several times, but I'd never seen anything like this. Really dramatic with the black triangles in the NW & SE, that sharp diagonal, and a great range range of shadows. Super! P.S. - Were the recent crowds starting to dissipate?
Thanks, Eric. This is just as you emerge from the trains to level where the gates are located in Concourse B. There is an atrium providing natural light, which casts shadows for a couple hours each morning and afternoon that the sun shines.
Beautiful shadows.
Thanks, Phil.
Love the light and shadow play.
Thanks, Gordo.
This is wonderful, light and shadows interacting and more geometrical shapes accompanying this, too!
Thanks, Connie.
Interesting display of light and shadow.
Thanks, Jim.
Interesting shapes formed by the light/shadows. Great observation and capture. Most people seem to just zip through airports, oblivious to their surroundings.
So true. For my part, I have zipped through so many airports so many times that I am really jaded to them, but Octoberfest forces us to slow down and see better than usual. And that is a good thing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom