Critique 2021 Octoberfest – Gordo – X100F 23/2 – 31 Oct, finito.

Day 30

Another day of attempts and not getting anything like I wanted. So another tabletop. Center-weighted metering at the focal point (just to the right of the shield). Kinda dark, but all the details are there. "Correct" exposure always blows out the highlights on the shinys. 16:9 crop, width is full width downsized for web. Case did a wonderful with the bone and the jigging on this one, it feels great in the hand (IMHO).
View attachment 1692556
Awesome, Gordon. Thanks for hangin' in there with another fine shot. Hoping that you'll have a great day of shooting at the airshow. Plus - I needed to say: I'm confident that you will "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome", as both the Marines and Clint Eastwood once said!:D

Real Name
Paul
Day 30

Another day of attempts and not getting anything like I wanted. So another tabletop. Center-weighted metering at the focal point (just to the right of the shield). Kinda dark, but all the details are there. "Correct" exposure always blows out the highlights on the shinys. 16:9 crop, width is full width downsized for web. Case did a wonderful with the bone and the jigging on this one, it feels great in the hand (IMHO).
View attachment 1692556
Great attention to detail in getting the perfect shot, and you nailed it Gordo!

The choice of background, and how the focus fades behind the knife are so appropriate.

Nick - thank you.

Just a classy knife shot. Lovely Case. I almost pulled out a Case Russlock to shoot on my piano the day I did my knife shot.

Thanks Wade. Russlocks are pretty unique. I don't have one, I tend to be a little pick on which patterns I like.

I like the handle on this knife, and the knife itself certainly looks sharp and as though it could do anything required of it!

Thank you Connie. It's a nice slicer, even though it's small

Awesome, Gordon. Thanks for hangin' in there with another fine shot. Hoping that you'll have a great day of shooting at the airshow. Plus - I needed to say: I'm confident that you will "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome", as both the Marines and Clint Eastwood once said!:D

Thanks Eric. I predict the airshow will reveal a few things I need to know to make decisions going forward. Improvise, adapt, overcome - indeed.

Great image of a beautiful knife. I also like the handle.

Phil - thanks.

Great attention to detail in getting the perfect shot, and you nailed it Gordo!

Thanks Paul.

Real Name
Paul
Day 31

I am horribly bad at trying to emulate other's styles, it usually happens by accident. I certainly miss Chris's influence here at the Café. Hopefully this fits generally within a styling of some of his self-portraits.

"Boo."
View attachment 1692606
Wow! That is a wonderful shot and great lighting. It has been a pleasure getting a perspective through your eyes, in your contributions this month. Kudos on hanging in there, even when you had life intervening and making it hard to shoot.

Wow, that is a cool image! Rather than considering it merely emulating someone else's style, you've made this your own unique image! It's been a rough month for you and yet you've persevered all the way through, and that is really commendable. Kudos to you! I hope that your health situation improves soon and that you'll be able to spend more time getting out and shooting.....

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Day 31

I am horribly bad at trying to emulate other's styles, it usually happens by accident. I certainly miss Chris's influence here at the Café. Hopefully this fits generally within a styling of some of his self-portraits.

"Boo."
View attachment 1692606
That is incredibly spooky, Gordo and a wonderful end the Meme - well done, and congratulations!

Real Name
Andy
Quick post between trips to that "other" room. I'd forgotten how sugary jello is... :sick:
So, tried to get something in the light/ shadow/ texture genre.
Speaking of lenses. 16-55/2.8 "bag of primes" and one of Fuji's sharpest lenses the 90/2.
Case did a wonderful with the bone and the jigging on this one, it feels great in the hand (IMHO).
I certainly miss Chris's influence here at the Café. Hopefully this fits generally within a styling of some of his self-portraits.
These are fine images by any measure, and you’ve created them amidst tough conditions. Prayers for your swift return to good health!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Great finale Gordon. Chris would certainly approve it with a big thumb.

Once again, thanks for a month of wonderful images.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Well Gordon,
you've showed some really interesting pictures this Octoberfest.
The last one is scary, weird but gorgeous.

Thank you for participating
Klaus

Absolutely perfect! Chris would surely approve.

Spooktacular Gordo, and most appropriate!
Thanks for being such an inspiration and for pushing us to remember!
Cheers!

Wow! That is a wonderful shot and great lighting. It has been a pleasure getting a perspective through your eyes, in your contributions this month. Kudos on hanging in there, even when you had life intervening and making it hard to shoot.

What a great way to end the project. You were a trooper this month, persisting even when you didn't feel well. I love the tribute to Chris in the last photo.

Wow, that is a cool image! Rather than considering it merely emulating someone else's style, you've made this your own unique image! It's been a rough month for you and yet you've persevered all the way through, and that is really commendable. Kudos to you! I hope that your health situation improves soon and that you'll be able to spend more time getting out and shooting.....

That is incredibly spooky, Gordo and a wonderful end the Meme - well done, and congratulations!

These are fine images by any measure, and you’ve created them amidst tough conditions. Prayers for your swift return to good health!

Great finale Gordon. Chris would certainly approve it with a big thumb.

Once again, thanks for a month of wonderful images.

Nice one Gordon. Glad you kept going. Inspiration for all.

Well Gordon,
you've showed some really interesting pictures this Octoberfest.
The last one is scary, weird but gorgeous.

Thank you for participating
Klaus

Thank you all, very much.

Sorry for the delayed response, dealing with life stuff again. And trying to shift my sleep schedule for the drive to Tucson Saturday morning. And prepping camera gear and other stuff needed for the airshow.

I'd like to offer a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to all who viewed and commented on my thread this year, as well as the well-wishes.

This is the first O'Fest I have been able to complete since 2018, even though it wore me out, it felt good.

I think I was able to catch up and view/ comment on everyone's threads - if I missed anyone, please accept my apology.

See y'all around the Café. :)

I'd like to offer a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to all who viewed and commented on my thread this year, as well as the well-wishes.

This is the first O'Fest I have been able to complete since 2018, even though it wore me out, it felt good.

I think I was able to catch up and view/ comment on everyone's threads - if I missed anyone, please accept my apology.

See y'all around the Café. :)
This one was my only completed Octoberfest also, Gordon. I'd abandoned my first way back when (2012?) and I need to say: this was really a challenging and fulfilling exercise. I truly enjoyed seeing your contributions, and everyone else's; I learned a helluva lot and simply enjoyed viewing the amazing photos; thinking about Chris; and just getting to know everyone a bit more. This is the absolute best photo site anywhere, yes? Hang in there, buddy - can't wait to see your shots from the airshow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom