2021 Octoberfest - Clix Pix (Connie) - Player - Sony A1 with 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, 135mm f/1.8 ---DAY 24

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Day 14: I've taken a few shots today as they've been smoothing out the dirt and then putting down the fresh asphalt..... Fascinating process altogether! In the meantime, though, while I was out there on the deck shooting, my eye was caught by the interesting interplay of light and shadows, reflections, verticals and horizontals on the lower level of our community "clubhouse" and its adjacent deck. which I decided was a natural for B&W.....

View attachment 1691139
Great BW abstract shadow line study. Just wonderful. Great eye. Great reflection.

Thank you, Phil, Terri, John and Wade! It was just one of those accidental moments when I was waiting in between activities across the lake and casually glanced in the direction of the clubhouse and the adjacent deck and pier....the reflections in the window caught my eye and I took a better look and realized that, hey, with the current lighting situation (we FINALLY had sunshine again today!) and the nice shadows and light, this was making for the possibility of an interesting photo.....

John, you're right, there IS a dock in this photo: it's the pier, part of which is captured in the reflections in the window..... You can see the chains that line the pier and a little piece of the pier itself. I was surprised when I noticed this -- it is fascinating how light and reflections can bounce around and something which isn't even that close to the source of the reflection is still captured anyway. With any other lens I probably would not even have noticed this at all, so I'm delighted that the 135mm focal length is showing me its versatility -- this is one benefit of the Octoberfest for me, discovering new things that I can explore with my lenses......

Thanks, Lyndee! When I shot it I already had the feeling that it would look best in B&W because of all the angles and such..... I love Silver Efex Pro -- it is very useful in getting me to an approximation of what I want with a preset, and then I can refine the image to my preference and we're done.

Day 15: one would swear this were an early summer day or even a mid-summer afternoon rather than the middle of October! A nice warm 77° even as I type...... amazing!

We have some interesting new little flowers that suddenly popped into bloom a couple of days ago so I stepped out to the front of the building with the 50mm f/1.2 lens hoping to capture something artsy.....well, apparently I was intruding on someone's lunch hour so I decided to take advantage of that situation instead!

Lunchtime Dining Al Fresco.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom