2021 Octoberfest - Clix Pix (Connie) - Player - Sony A1 with 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, 135mm f/1.8 ------ DAY 31! HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

Ooh, the starting time is getting closer! Looking forward to this: we're all going to have fun!

I see that the tradition is for participants to share an image of the gear they'll be using..... I quickly collected together my little gang and posed them, with the 20mm mounted on the A1 and the 50mm and 135mm standing proudly beside their family members:

Group Portrait for Octoberfest 2021.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thanks, Wade! This was more frustrating than I'd anticipated, as I shot one batch of images, reviewed them and they were just not acceptable, so back to work we went: me, the camera, the lens and my subjects..... fortunately I had not put everything away yet, so did the second shooting session with somewhat better lighting although still not ideal, but at least I got something presentable this time to actually put into the start of my thread.....

My beloved 90mm macro lens was so disappointed at being left out of this project that I decided to give her the honor of being my October 1st image. I also played around a bit with the editing, and although she was shot with the A1 and 50mm f/1.2 without a roll of film in sight, I paid homage to Chris, too, by adding a touch of grain to give her a bit of that old-school "film look."

90mm Macro Has a Day in the Sun.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Paul
My beloved 90mm macro lens was so disappointed at being left out of this project that I decided to give her the honor of being my October 1st image. I also played around a bit with the editing, and although she was shot with the A1 and 50mm f/1.2 without a roll of film in sight, I paid homage to Chris, too, by adding a touch of grain to give her a bit of that old-school "film look."

View attachment 1690092
Will be cool to see what you come up with using this lens.

Thanks, but the 90mm lens won't be used for this project, as she's my "go-to" lens and I tend to reach for her very frequently anyway. I deliberately chose not to use her so that I'll be giving my other lenses some love and attention. The lens I used to shoot her, though, the 50mm f/1.2, does focus pretty closely and I suspect that I'll be using that lens more frequently than the other two lenses during this month. I also have a strong hunch that I'll be using my 90mm for shooting macros anyway, even if they don't appear in this thread!

Thank you, all! Yes, I was in the midst of editing when the thought crossed my mind to go beyond my original intention and to experiment with adding in grain, so I did, and yes, I was concerned that I'd overdo it but am glad to see from your comments that apparently that isn't the case after all. The Replica Surface board upon which the lens is standing already is kind of busy and I used that to judge when to stop with adding grain.

I had shot a bunch of images with the lens lying down and for one reason or another they just weren't doing anything for me, so I stood her up to see what we could do with that...... I did eventually severely crop one of the earlier images and left it in its original color to share on this week's "lens" CS thread, but of course that really didn't provide much visual information about the lens itself. Once in a while I get this notion to try to be "artsy." LOL!

The 90mm macro is one of the three lenses that I bought when I was making the big changeover in late November 2019 and it immediately became my favorite and, well, she still is. This is the lens which almost leaps into my hand the minute I open the cabinet door to get out some gear and it's the lens which has brought me much pleasure since that very first day, and which I know will continue to give me joy as we work together shooting macros over the next however many years. In the meantime, though, this October, she'll get a bit of a "vacation" as I shoot with three of my other lenses and begin to really tap into their unique characteristics, too, and see how they can help me create interesting images.

Last edited:
Thanks! Over the past couple of years I've noticed that for the most part the Sony lenses (the ones which are black as opposed to being the grayish-white of the longer zoom lenses) all seem to be rather shiny and streamlined, occasionally what some people might even consider elegant looking, so it was kind of fun playing with the editing and the grain to see how I might be able to "age" this particular lens a bit..... Not to worry, though -- In a few years she'll definitely be showing genuine wear-and-tear anyway since I use her so often! I'm surprised she doesn't already.....

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom