2021 Octoberfest - Clix Pix (Connie) - Player - Sony A1 with 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, 135mm f/1.8 ------ DAY 31! HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

Thank you, Gordon, David, Wade, Tim, Nick and Eric! Back in late September or maybe early October, I spotted these boxes of lights at the grocery store. Orange, for Hallowe'en....... Oooh!!!! I bought a box of larger ones and a box of "fairy lights" and put them aside, figuring that they'd come in very handy at the right time. Yesterday, after I'd finished shooting, processing and sharing my abstract of the faucet, while the creative juices were still flowing I decided it was time to figure out a way to pull together those lights with something for Hallowe'en and to commemorate the end of our 2021 Octoberfest project.

I had the orange felt "carved pumpkin" face in my props collection, so pulled that out, and then my eye fell on the metal cat, who normally is busy chasing a small metal mouse, and grabbed him off the top of the bookcase where he spends his time. I tried a couple of things with two orange Replica Surface boards and the orange lights. Nope, didn't quite do it...... Got out the black trifold poster board and set that on the dining table to use as the backdrop with just one orange Replica Surface board for the subjects to be positioned on. Tried stringing the lights from the trifold, and that didn't really do much. Put all of the lights around on the surface, and aha, that worked pretty nicely, and then simply used a small flashlight with a piece of plastic wrap as a diffuser to illuminate just the pumpkin face and provide more light on it without interfering with the orange lights all around. Played with adding-and subtracting some of the gourds that I'd bought and used early on in the month in an image, arranged the cat "just so" to get the effect I wanted, and shot.....and shot and shot, then taking the memory cards out and running the files into the computer so that I could see the full impact of what I was trying to do and make both camera settings and actual setup adjustments accordingly.

Once I'd finally gotten everything set up to my satisfaction I left it all (except the camera and lens, which I stored back in their usual home for the night) set up on the table, ready for final shooting action today. After my usual morning juice (orange, of course!) and coffee, it was time to get this done! I put the lens back on the camera, turned on the orange lights and the flashlight to illuminate my little scene, sat down, positioned myself and the camera and fired away.....

Last edited:
DAY 31.....HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

I have really enjoyed participating in this year's Octoberfest -- it has been fun and educational seeing everyone's posts and images from around the world, and it's been intriguing seeing how even when in some cases people may be using the same type or focal length of lens there can be such variety in approaches to the subject! For me, this was challenging, especially on those days when I was in a hurry and busy or the creative juices were all dried up, and yet also exhilarating on those days when I had an idea and shot an image that pretty much came out the way I'd envisioned. At times I struggled with the limitations of only having three lenses from which to choose, and felt pressured by needing to produce a fresh new image each and every one of these 31 days.

On some days, no ideas in mind, I simply went out with the camera and a lens and came home with a surprise or two to be processed.... Those happy surprises are always fun when they happen! This project also encouraged me to take more care with my editing and to further explore the software to learn what other things I could do with it. I'll never be a skillful retoucher or someone who does sophisticated things with editing, but I like to think I've made some progress over the past year or so, particularly including this month. It's been an adventure!

View attachment 1692596
Wonderful finish Connie and great that you experienced the "challenge of Octoberfest". I think it is a great learning experience from both shooting to observing, and really proves to us that we can come up with something, even when we don't have the confidence.

Thanks, Terri! I decided right from the start that I was going to really get into this project and explore my lenses, explore more features of my editing program, learn more along the way, and have fun at the same time! Being retired and not having family nearby, I don't have many of the demands and constraints on my time that others have, but nonetheless there were days when it felt stressful to have to come up with an image..... I also like to be spontaneous so prefer to lean towards variety in what I shoot and what I present, so didn't even make an attempt to start out the month with a theme I would carry through during the entire project. It felt restrictive enough only being able to use three lenses, so I knew that designating a theme of any sort would truly be a fatal blow, a setup for failure, so decided to just go with whatever natural urge and flow I felt each day when picking up the camera and choosing a lens.... I'm just chuffed that I made it all the way through these 31 days!!!

Yes, I'm rather pleased with the way the Hallowe'en image turned out! It did take a bit of experimenting and trying this, trying that before I found what would work and then everything just sort of fell into place.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator

I have really enjoyed participating in this year's Octoberfest -- it has been fun and educational seeing everyone's posts and images from around the world, and it's been intriguing seeing how even when in some cases people may be using the same type or focal length of lens there can be such variety in approaches to the subject! For me, this was challenging, especially on those days when I was in a hurry and busy or the creative juices were all dried up, and yet also exhilarating on those days when I had an idea and shot an image that pretty much came out the way I'd envisioned. At times I struggled with the limitations of only having three lenses from which to choose, and felt pressured by needing to produce a fresh new image each and every one of these 31 days.

On some days, no ideas in mind, I simply went out with the camera and a lens and came home with a surprise or two to be processed.... Those happy surprises are always fun when they happen! This project also encouraged me to take more care with my editing and to further explore the software to learn what other things I could do with it. I'll never be a skillful retoucher or someone who does sophisticated things with editing, but I like to think I've made some progress over the past year or so, particularly including this month. It's been an adventure!

View attachment 1692596
This shot is completely awesome, Connie! A winner for sure! And congratulations on completing the meme!

Thank you, Lyndee! In the beginning I wasn't sure that I would make it all the way through the month, as the idea of doing a fresh image each and every day and sharing it at some point on that day was daunting -- I'd already experienced that years ago and to my great regret even all this time later, one day just threw in the towel and quit before the project was finished -- that still stings. So with this Octoberfest project I resolved to just hang in there and do this, no matter what, shoot something fresh and new every day and edit it and if the final image wasn't absolutely stellar or perfect, wasn't potentially all that exciting or interesting either to me or anyone else, well, fine, submit it anyway, especially if time was short. Yes, perfectionism does get in the way at times!

AND at the same time I was determined to also keep up with my 52-Weeks project, figuring that I could use either lenses outside the scope of Octoberfest and/or toss in a few leftovers from Octoberfest, and actually that worked out pretty well until this last week, but even at that I managed to pull together a few images to submit and share for Week 43 anyway. Whew! I won't be sorry to be able to get back to the more relaxed pace and routine of doing the 52 Weeks project, though!

View attachment 1692596
Connie, you did great! I really enjoyed seeing all of your images which are a credit to your photographic “eye” as well as your editing skills. Looking forward to your future posts.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus

View attachment 1692596
Connie,
you've finished the Octoberfest in a very magnificent way.

Thank you for participating this year.
Klaus

Thank you, Ron, Klaus and John! I'm so glad we have fun opportunities such as the Octoberfest month-long project on the Cafe -- it's definitely rewarding and a great way to get to know each other and each other's work as well as to learn more about one's own gear and challenge oneself. I'll be ready a year from now for the 2022 Octoberfest! We did it together, gang!

Ron, I have been very, very pleased with my Sony gear over the nearly two years that I've been using it. Excellent bodies, excellent lenses. The 135mm f/1.8 lens was one of the first three lenses that I bought on the day I bought the A7R IV, and I've never regretted it. That said, I really had not used it all that much as time went on and more lenses came into the household, so this was a great opportunity to get to know it much better and to explore its versatility. The 50mm f/1.2 I bought a few months ago when the store had one come into availability shortly after I bought the A1 body, and I didn't hesitate to snap it up, as I'd already been lusting for one ever since they first came out in the spring. It's a real gem of a lens, and again surprisingly versatile. The 20mm I bought on kind of a whim and of the three lenses, although I had intended to really put it through its paces this past month, (unsurprisingly) was the lens I used the least during this project. Great little lens, though, and one which I'll continue to explore over time.

My two favorite lenses, though, are the 90mm macro and the 100-400mm. The macro does, well....closeups and macro, and the 100-400mm is great for shooting birds, squirrels and occasionally a neighbor's pet, but also does a heckuva job with closeups as well. While not lightweight or small by any means, it is a lens that I can and do carry around the lake and the neighborhood or other places, whereas my longer, larger 200-600mm (my "bazooka") mostly lives on the tripod. Both lenses also work well with a 1.4x teleconverter.

When the weather is nasty outside or when I'm just in a mood to fool around with setting up something, I really enjoy doing tabletop scenes. Usually one of my macro lenses is pressed into service for shooting, but now I know that instead of automatically grabbing the 90mm, that sometimes the 50mm f/1.2 or even the 135mm will work just fine for this kind of thing, too. It's amazing what one can find around the house to shoot and it's fun to make something ordinary look extraordinary or not like it actually appears.....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom