2021 Octoberfest - Clix Pix (Connie) - Player - Sony A1 with 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, 135mm f/1.8 ------ DAY 31! HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

Real Name
Andy
DAY 20: This afternoon the 20mm, 50mm and 135mm went with me to Green Spring Gardens, a local botanical gardens not far from where I live. It was a gorgeous, wonderful day for this kind of excursion! I started out shooting with the 20mm lens, since I really still have not used it as much as I have the other two during this month, and in the end what did I do? Found myself up close and personal with my subject anyway! LOL! I will stick a couple of other images in the Bucket, but this is the one which is my choice for today:

View attachment 1691689
AND.....it was Day 20.

Day 21: I went to another local botanical gardens today -- and found that they are already preparing for the holiday season! Beginning right after Thanksgiving throughout the holiday season past New Year's, they have an annual "Walk of Lights," where visitors can stroll through the gardens after darkness has fallen, but are greeted by plenty of lights everywhere: on the trees, on metal sculptures, on benches....

I had seen a flyer on a desk in the entry, but hadn't really paid much attention until I was outside wandering around and saw this:

Purple Lights in the Trees.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Whee!! At first I thought, "HUH?" but then that Walk of Lights flyer popped into my mind. Aha. All along my walk I found few flowers but lots of evidence of the staff's work at getting this whole thing set up, which takes a fair amount of time considering the size of the property and the various features. A couple of times I had to step off the paved walkway to let a work buggy filled with people and more supplies pass and we all smiled and waved.

So even though I only got a few captures of flowers and the gazebo on their small pond, it was fun being there just for the sense of excitement in the air as they were setting up for their big holiday time event!

Real Name
Paul
Day 21: I went to another local botanical gardens today -- and found that they are already preparing for the holiday season! Beginning right after Thanksgiving throughout the holiday season past New Year's, they have an annual "Walk of Lights," where visitors can stroll through the gardens after darkness has fallen, but are greeted by plenty of lights everywhere: on the trees, on metal sculptures, on benches....

I had seen a flyer on a desk in the entry, but hadn't really paid much attention until I was outside wandering around and saw this:

View attachment 1691793

Whee!! At first I thought, "HUH?" but then that Walk of Lights flyer popped into my mind. Aha. All along my walk I found few flowers but lots of evidence of the staff's work at getting this whole thing set up, which takes a fair amount of time considering the size of the property and the various features. A couple of times I had to step off the paved walkway to let a work buggy filled with people and more supplies pass and we all smiled and waved.

So even though I only got a few captures of flowers and the gazebo on their small pond, it was fun being there just for the sense of excitement in the air as they were setting up for their big holiday time event!
The light are an interesting addition to the shot of the tree.

Thanks, Tim and Paul! I agree, WAY too early! It was in the mid-70's today, I was wearing cropped pants and a short-sleeved shirt, and some people were outside in shorts today. When I passed one area where the staff were busy at work with the lights, I said, "it doesn't feel like Christmas!" and laughed and one of the women laughed ruefully in agreement and said, "yeah, but it probably will tomorrow" (it is supposed to chill off considerably according to our weather reports). The thing is, they really have to get started early on this kind of project since they have a lot to set up and while October is usually quite pleasant, sometimes November can be rather disagreeable. Bottom line for the staff at Meadowlark is that they need to be able to have everything in place sooner rather than later, and of course it's much nicer and easier for them to do this kind of work on a pleasant day! That way, if we suddenly turn really cold and have a snowstorm or two in November, no biggie, they'll already have gotten most of their work in place.

LOL, Eric! Yep, they're skipping right over Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving, getting all set up for the Christmas holidays. Well, they're an outdoor activity and it makes sense to get things started and set up while the weather is still really good. Other places that are indoors and more focused on selling stuff.....well, they have a different attitude! I fully anticipate that the next time I go to the grocery store they will have started setting up their Christmas displays and merchandise, now, too. They've already got Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving covered, as I noticed last time I was there. Sheesh!

Your golden leaves and turquoise and yellow ball have such beautiful colors. Such interesting and unique work. I also enjoyed the Christmas lights. It takes so much time to put them up, I’m sure they have to start early!

Last edited:
Thanks, Terri! Yes, while our weather is generally pretty good in October, November can be kind of unpredictable and since they want to have everything ready to go for this annual event they really do need to get started early, since they have a lot of lights to put up and extra items to put on display. I've never been to one of these events but it is definitely tempting now to participate sometime during the holiday season, as I think it will be really fun to see everything lit up and darkness gently blanketing everything else.

I was lucky in that both yesterday and today have been outstanding days in terms of weather but that's going to be changing soon and so I figure that it was good to get out there while I could. The next few days may be once again shots done at home, depending upon our weather situation. It's really challenging realizing that I have to shoot something new and fresh with a limited selection of lenses each and every day for this project! I've learned a lot, though, about each lens and its individual characteristics and what it will and won't do for me, and that's valuable information.

Real Name
Paul
LOL, Eric! Yep, they're skipping right over Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving, getting all set up for the Christmas holidays. Well, they're an outdoor activity and it makes sense to get things started and set up while the weather is still really good. Other places that are indoors and more focused on selling stuff.....well, they have a different attitude! I fully anticipate that the next time I go to the grocery store they will have started setting up their Christmas displays and merchandise, now, too. They've already got Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving covered, as I noticed last time I was there. Sheesh!
Last week, I saw tons of Christmas stuff at Home Depot. Geez.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade

View attachment 1691793

Well, this is certainly unusual, great find!

Thanks, Terri! Yes, while our weather is generally pretty good in October, November can be kind of unpredictable and since they want to have everything ready to go for this annual event they really do need to get started early, since they have a lot of lights to put up and extra items to put on display. I've never been to one of these events but it is definitely tempting now to participate sometime during the holiday season, as I think it will be really fun to see everything lit up and darkness gently blanketing everything else.

I was lucky in that both yesterday and today have been outstanding days in terms of weather but that's going to be changing soon and so I figure that it was good to get out there while I could. The next few days may be once again shots done at home, depending upon our weather situation. It's really challenging realizing that I have to shoot something new and fresh with a limited selection of lenses each and every day for this project! I've learned a lot, though, about each lens and its individual characteristics and what it will and won't do for me, and that's valuable information.
I agree that it's fun to learn about each lens. I love to go to the Christmas lighting events during the blue hour. It makes for great photos.

Seems like holiday prep gets earlier every year. But, might open some shooting opportunities for some night shots of the lit trees?

Latest threads

Top Bottom