2021 Octoberfest - Clix Pix (Connie) - Player - Sony A1 with 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, 135mm f/1.8 ------ DAY 31! HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

Thanks, Paul, Wade, Terri, Phil, Gordon...... It was a rather tough lighting situation and I fiddled with settings in different ways hoping to capture something that showed what I was actually seeing.....

If I can find someone with whom to go on one of the nights that they have the "Walk of Lights" events in December, I would love to do it. Everything is going to look so neat all lit up and I'd love to be able to shoot the lighted trees, objects and whatever else! However, I'd want someone else to drive there and back, as I'm not doing much driving at night these days (getting older sucks and developing cataracts also sucks) and the route to that botanical garden, which is out in the countryside, is rather hilly and curvy, which is fine during the daylight when one can see where they're going, but at night -- not so much fun driving unless one has great eyesight and/or is really, really familiar with the roads, and alas, neither applies to me.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
DAY 20: This afternoon the 20mm, 50mm and 135mm went with me to Green Spring Gardens, a local botanical gardens not far from where I live. It was a gorgeous, wonderful day for this kind of excursion! I started out shooting with the 20mm lens, since I really still have not used it as much as I have the other two during this month, and in the end what did I do? Found myself up close and personal with my subject anyway! LOL! I will stick a couple of other images in the Bucket, but this is the one which is my choice for today:

View attachment 1691689
Now I understand your new avatar.
Wonderful...

Kind regards
Klaus

Day 22: Stayed at home today but it was a nice afternoon for a stroll around the boardwalk. To my pleasure, I met up with a couple of squirrel friends, whom I haven't seen in a while. While all the asphalt work was being done, the squirrels were nowhere to be seen and now it's nice to have them back home again! This little guy with a mouthful of something green and round scampered away and jumped up on the ropes on the boardwalk and stared at me as I happily snapped photos of him from a safe distance, the steps that go from the asphalt walk to the boardwalk:

Close Encounter of the Squirrely Kind.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Day 22: Stayed at home today but it was a nice afternoon for a stroll around the boardwalk. To my pleasure, I met up with a couple of squirrel friends, whom I haven't seen in a while. While all the asphalt work was being done, the squirrels were nowhere to be seen and now it's nice to have them back home again! This little guy with a mouthful of something green and round scampered away and jumped up on the ropes on the boardwalk and stared at me as I happily snapped photos of him from a safe distance, the steps that go from the asphalt walk to the boardwalk:

View attachment 1691854
tree rats, only useful for imaging. As a pecan and fruit tree owner I have a negative bias. nice capture.

Real Name
Paul

View attachment 1691854
Nice composition!

Thanks, Wade and Paul! I did have to do a bit of cropping with this since the 135mm lens wasn't quite long enough but it was what I had in hand and overall it did the job admirably nonetheless.

Yeah, I know a lot of people don't care for these little guys, and they can be a nuisance, no doubt about that! I saw this in action the summer of 2020 when I thought it would be a fun idea to give the neighborhood birds a treat by putting out seed on my deck..... Didn't take long for the squirrels to discover this! I eventually put out two dishes, naively thinking that the squirrels would stick to the one dish of something I thought they'd appreciate and leave the birdseed alone. WRONG!!!! They promptly took over BOTH trays. A couple of them were regular daily visitors and I eventually gave them names -- Smaug and Mr Nervous are featured in a few of my images in my 2020 52-Week project.

I will say, it was fun watching the squirrels on my deck, especially when a couple of them -- a "regular" versus a newcomer -- would start chasing each other, but unfortunately my neighbors in this condo building eventually said, "hey! We don't want these birds and squirrels on OUR decks, too, especially when they leave "souvenirs." The lightweight birdseed also would fly around when it was a windy day, so all of us would have to sweep our decks. That was the end of that.....

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim! I wasn't able to get close enough to him to see for sure exactly what it is he has in his mouth.... At first because of the green color and the roundness I thought, "maybe he's picked up a dog's discarded tennis ball" but realized that didn't make sense. Whatever he had was something edible and by gum, he was going to enjoy it! We don't have fruit trees, so I ruled out an apple, but it could be a walnut, hadn't thought of that, but it is possible that some of our trees are dropping those or perhaps a neighbor has put out some in the common grounds area for the squirrels to help themselves.

View attachment 1691854
Nice one Connie. Good pop against the background.

Thanks, Ron! I was happy that he decided to get on the rope rather than run back to the common ground area. Most photos of squirrels are in a tree or on the ground -- don't often see them perched on a rope near the water! I had the 135mm lens on, so I couldn't get in as close as I would've if I'd had a longer zoom lens on the camera.

DAY 23: A cloudy day this afternoon, with the sun peeking in-and-out among the clouds from time to time. As I was starting out for a walk around the neighborhood I noticed how the tree branches, the pale sun and the clouds were reflecting in my car's hood:

Tree in the Clouds.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
22 - nice candid portrait of the tree shark. Fun critters to watch and photo, but as Wade mentioned if you have nut trees they are a bane.

23 - cool shot, took me a few seconds to realize it was a reflection. Well done.

Latest threads

Top Bottom