2021 Octoberfest - JW53 - Q2 - 28mm F1.7 - Day 14

What a beautiful camera!! I never did do any serious photography with film....just point and shoot. I sure wish I had learned how to shoot with a camera like this one!!

Now THAT'S a Chris shot! and a great camera.
Thanks Nick....Really a lovely and easy camera to work with, and that Zeiss glass gives beautiful results.
A beautiful image of a camera that set the standard for such a long time.
Thanks Andy... Standard for wedding and portrait shooters, In it's digital format has become the standard for product and still life shooters.
Looks like a solidly built camera. Is it heavy?
Thanks Jim... Very solid and built to very high tolerances. Also very modular as you can exchange film backs, view finder from waist level to various prism and metered finders and of course lenses. Have 2 back one for color and other for b&w so it was always easy to change from one to another mid shoot. In the configuration as seen, little over 3 lbs.

What a fine rig, John.
Thank you Eric. ... I was the 2nd owner and purchased it late 80's from a studio photographer who was upgrading to the newer bodies.

Oh, such a beauty! Those Hasselblads were such elegant, yet very functional cameras which produced amazing results in the right hands.....
Thanks Connie...Really very easy and simple cameras to operate but were built to very high standards that showed in the images produced. Took a while to get used to using EV's (exposure values) but a really a very simple process. My meters read in EV and just needed to transfer / lock the EV on the lens. From there all the aperature /shutter spedd combinations for that EV were coupled. Just needed to turn shutter speed dial on the lens and the aperature would follow. EV of 12 would give shutter aperature combos of 1/250 - f4.0, 1/125 - f5.6, 1/60 - f8.0 etc. As the shutters are in the lens and not the body also able to shoot with flash at any of the speeds.

Many a wedding shot with that type of gear!
Thanks Wade...yep a standard in higher end studios and wedding/portrait photographers.

Wonderful shot!
Thank you Paul...Natural light coming in from north facing window in my cluttered office. Glad for the short DOF so can't see how messy it is.

Beautiful beautiful image of a beautiful beautiful camera.
Thank you Phil...way back when and I was thinking of medium format I tried the Pentax 6x7, Bronica SQA , Mamiyas 645 and the 330 twin lens. Almost bought the Mamiya 330 which really produced some gorgeous results but was at a friends studio and his partner mentioned that he was selling some gear to upgrade. I jumped at the chance and have not been disapointed at all.
What a beautiful camera!! I never did do any serious photography with film....just point and shoot. I sure wish I had learned how to shoot with a camera like this one!!
Terri Thank you. I started with box brownies or similar back in late 50's and then played around wiyth my dad's Leica in early 60's. Ended up buying my 1st pro Nikon the Nikon F ftn in around 68 and had probably started playing in the darkroom around 67 with a friends borrowed SLR. Never had a formal darkroom but in every house since 68 have temporarily converted one of the bathrooms into my darkroom. We use to shoot polaroids both on the Hassy and my 4x5 to double check our exposures and comps. So much easier these days with instant feed back from the rear screen. Still love seeing negatives as the come out of the wash and later the print as it starts to appear through the developer. I'm glad it remained a hobby and never felt the weight of having to produce to cover my next meal or rent. So for me the fun has always remained.

Beautiful image of a beautiful camera & lens. Would love to try one out done day. Only shot with little Brownie, 110 film cartridge before my FE.
Thanks John…very simple setup. Had purchased a steel plate with a 1/4 nut welded to the plate. Just screw the plate to tripod with1/4 male thread and placed camera on steel plate. Adjusted placement of camera to take advantage of north facing window light in the office. In post played with a little d&b and luminosity masks before converting to b&w And adding Orton glow to give a little extra mood.

A true photographer's tool. Taken with a very nice camera too, it must be said. I'm a complete amateur and didn't really start getting into the hobby until around the turn of the century. It's an education reading your posts.

A true photographer's tool. Taken with a very nice camera too, it must be said. I'm a complete amateur and didn't really start getting into the hobby until around the turn of the century. It's an education reading your posts.
Ron thank you and your very kind...Guess I'm pretty passionate about photography and have been since before I entered my teen years until now approaching 70. It's been a wonderful hobby and brought great enjoyment.

Just a very quick image of the LED light I use. In this case it's the front of Rotolights Neo I with two layers of difussion over the light emitting led's. Adjustable in power from 0 -100% and Wb from 3200K to 6400K also can enter effects mode (more suitable for video than still photography) such a flickering fire, the strobing of a police cars lights or the blue light from a flickering TV set. The Neo I is not as strong as I wished but has been very helpful on a number of portrait shoots adding supplemental light. Neo II is about one stop brighter but also has the ability to be used as a flash and triggered by sync cord or an Elinchrom remote. A new Neo III is just now being introduced along with a update to their more commercial style lights.

L1000200-Octoberfest-13.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very cool lights, nice capture of the diffused LEDs.

I picked up some Solix LED lights on a sale, opted for daylight. I like having the constant light for WYSIWYG when doing tabletop stuff, sometimes I think I maybe should have gotten adjustable color temps.

Mesmerizing light!
Thanks Nick
Another very instructive photo! Thanks again, John.
Thank you Eric
Interesting light!
Thanks Phil
When I was looking at lights to buy, I considered the Rotolights Neo (not sure now which version) but instead went with Ice Lights, which suited my purposes better. It's astonishing all the choices we have today!
The Ice Lghts are also pretty nice. Believe when I bought th Neo’s they were one of the few options out there .
Very cool lights, nice capture of the diffused LEDs.

I picked up some Solix LED lights on a sale, opted for daylight. I like having the constant light for WYSIWYG when doing tabletop stuff, sometimes I think I maybe should have gotten adjustable color temps.
Gordon thank you. I don’t change Wb that often but do,like the WYSIWYG aspect.
I considered investing in these, but couldn’t justify the cost compared to strobes of equivalent power.
Andy agree that in no way will they match or even come close to similar price strobes, and do wish they were more powerful. What I do like is their portability, ease of use, soft light, adjustable WB. They are really great as supplements to natural light. As a main light I’ll normally choose the Godox or my Elinchroms.
Wow, learning new info, every day.
Thanks Wade.
Another striking image. Is that the Q2 in macro mode?
Thank Ron, yes I did have it in macro mode.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom