2021 Octoberfest - Kry27 - 85/1.8S - Day 31

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Today has been the 4th saturday, in a row, we went to walk an elder horse. A friend of my wife has 3 horses. She lives (and works, partially) on a farm, her husband is a farmer.

2 of the horses are more than 20 years old, and so she should not ride them anymore. But they enjoy a walk, and our children may still sit on top. As Mayla is so much into horses anyway - which 2nd grader girl isn't? - we love to be given this opportunity. We now 'care' for one of these horses, Fanny, and visit her once every week. We learned how to approach her in the stable, where she stands with her 2 friends, bring her out, brushing, preparing... my wife enjoys this, too. Then we go for a walk. Might be a photo subject for another week.

Back home, our children play 'horse and rider', 'farm', whatever... in any variant. It takes them an afternoon go get back to normal mode, if even ;) Last week, they played 'carriage ride' for hours after, today... well... 'jumping'...

Octoberfest 2021 - Day 2

View attachment 1690167
This is the sweetest photo. I 100% adore it! :)

Real Name
Paul
Today has been the 4th saturday, in a row, we went to walk an elder horse. A friend of my wife has 3 horses. She lives (and works, partially) on a farm, her husband is a farmer.

2 of the horses are more than 20 years old, and so she should not ride them anymore. But they enjoy a walk, and our children may still sit on top. As Mayla is so much into horses anyway - which 2nd grader girl isn't? - we love to be given this opportunity. We now 'care' for one of these horses, Fanny, and visit her once every week. We learned how to approach her in the stable, where she stands with her 2 friends, bring her out, brushing, preparing... my wife enjoys this, too. Then we go for a walk. Might be a photo subject for another week.

Back home, our children play 'horse and rider', 'farm', whatever... in any variant. It takes them an afternoon go get back to normal mode, if even ;) Last week, they played 'carriage ride' for hours after, today... well... 'jumping'...

Octoberfest 2021 - Day 2

View attachment 1690167
Beautifully done Roland!

Real Name
Andy
As Mayla is so much into horses anyway - which 2nd grader girl isn't?
Back home, our children play 'horse and rider', 'farm', whatever... in any variant.
Caring for a horse is such a wholesome and fulfilling task for a youngster. We have much to learn from these fine animals. And the photo of your daughter pretending is truly special. Wonderful!

So much action, both captured and implied here, Roland!
Thank you!
What a fun shot! Next thing you know she'll be wanting to sign up for proper riding lessons if she hasn't done that already, and then move into dressage....

Love this image, as it's different than the usual expected one and tells a wonderful story!
Yes, a story-telling image is what I went for. Glad it succeeds.
This is the sweetest photo. I 100% adore it! :)
:) :happy:
Beautifully done Roland!
Thank you, Paul.
Caring for a horse is such a wholesome and fulfilling task for a youngster. We have much to learn from these fine animals. And the photo of your daughter pretending is truly special. Wonderful!
Yes, but she's still learning. It's OK to brush a little, help bringing out all the tools from the barn, but... there are still moments where she wants us to do everything. She will learn it's a permanent duty, obligation, not a "today, I'm in the mood..." thing ;)

Thanks for the comment on the photo.
Just a great feel good moment captured. Bravo.
Thank you. Got a few jumps to get better, /me at the shutter.
Such sharp focus.
Spray and hope? "Del" is my friend, here.
Great candid as were the balance in the bucket.
Thank you.
Great capture. It's beautiful!
:) :D thanks!
Budding Grand National jockey.
Haha (y)

Soon to be handicrafts

Octoberfest 2021 - Day 3

OF_2021_Day_03.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Ooooooo, really like this bowl shot and conversion. Great details and the softer lighter area behind the bowl adds direction to the eye. Lighting? Reflection? Post work?

I like the tones and look forward to seeing the end results of the handicraft work.

Nice capture. I wonder what are you going to do with them.

Great contrast and lighting on the shot. Are they horse chestnuts? I too am wondering what will be made.

Add me to the crowd wondering what these are and what they will become! B&W treatment is ideal for this, as the viewer's attention goes right to the subjects, no distractions, and the tonal balance is very nice.

Very nice still life image. Agree with processing is very pleasing. I shot with the 85 last year. It’s a challenging effort but you will enjoy it.

Both 2 & 3 are very nice. Great control of the DOF in both.

Ken

Ooooooo, really like this bowl shot and conversion. Great details and the softer lighter area behind the bowl adds direction to the eye. Lighting? Reflection? Post work?

Nice still life. What will you make with them?

Thanks for all the kind comments again.

Yes, these are horse chestnuts. A few trees grow close to our home, and the children like to go and get some every year, and multiple times. They serve as cargo while playing with trucks, with the train, as building material, and to do handicrafts.

These were built before, as an example, before I took the picture of the 'left over' in the bowl:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/2021-octoberfest-bucket-in-honor-of-chris.329243/post-4177612

As for the special lighting: This is all post. In Capture One, I
- adjust exposure, brightness, blacks/whites or lights/shadows
- enable B&W
- adjust the color channels (esp. the response to yellow and red, which change the mood quite a bit with chestnuts)
- here, I used 2 extra layers, which I haven't done with the first two images from Day 1 and 2:
. Layer 1 for the vignette. An oval mask, around the top of the bowl, is left out, the rest of the image has a reduced exposure and brightness setting. And reduced structure (a "clarity" thing, controlling sharpness also)
. Layer 2 to light up (do the contrary of layer 1), which I brushed in slightly in the lower bowl, to bring these out a little better. Otherwise, the chestnuts deeper down would have turned out too dark

I am not sure I did so well with the vignette. I wanted the top to 'glow', but I think a tighter area around the actual bowl would have been better. Is this one better?

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/2021-octoberfest-bucket-in-honor-of-chris.329243/post-4177611

Latest threads

Top Bottom